Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Anything other than water in humidifier?
RE: Anything other than water in humidifier?
I've put Vick's on a qtip and placed it near the air intake of the machine rarely.    If your completely clogged up with the flu etc it will let you breathe.
     But I change filters right after.

Up your pressure, turn off the heat to your machine and if possible lower the room temp.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks all. I should clarify a bit - once i turned the heat and humidity off I was able to breathe well. Cooler air would still feel better, but I'm used to it. I've even added just a touch of humidity back. My AHI went from 87 during my sleep study to an average of about 3. In spite of that I may give the ice a shot next time the temps are too high.

And it's funny you should mention the bourbon - my other thought was adding a few drops of Everclear to the water in the tank as a disinfectant. But I remember reading, I think from a post here, not to use alcohol for cleaning so I sorta nixed that idea up front.
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-22-2017, 11:11 PM)PaulaO2 Wrote: Some online suppliers sell "aromatherapy" stuff to put in the humidifier tank water.

But my thoughts are: I got no way to escape that stink other than taking off the mask. I can't cover my nose, or leave the room, or even just simply put out the incense. There is no smell in this world that I want to be snorting all night long.

My wife really likes the kind that uses the fiber disk that you soak with essential oil.  You adjust the "intensity" by moving the little platform closer or farther from your air intake.
It's not strong enough to scent the entire room, it's noticeable in the area of the machine for a few minutes after soaking the disk, but dissipates quickly, particularly with the AC or a fan.

I've tried it a few times, it's kinda neat, but not really noticeable (but I have a horrible sense of smell anyways).
-- Rich
Links to Download OSCAR here
OSCAR Installation and Setup

Using Attachments to Post Images on Apnea Board

INFORMATION ON FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
(08-23-2017, 05:28 AM)Sleep Viking Wrote: And it's funny you should mention the bourbon - my other thought was adding a few drops of Everclear to the water in the tank as a disinfectant. But I remember reading, I think from a post here, not to use alcohol for cleaning so I sorta nixed that idea up front.

Ya, alcohol tends to be too "drying" and can damage the soft components.   The hose and mask are going to be replaced regularly, but you have the internal seals on the humidifier connections to worry about.

Just clean with water and baby shampoo, and allow to dry.
That will help prevent the formation of molds which would be the biggest problem with the humidifier and anything downstream.
Between the filter and humidifier, it's just normal air.   Your filter keeps dust and dirt under control, and that area is no more inviting to bacteria than your bedroom walls.

You are not exhaling into the humidifier... the positive pressure of the machine helps to prevent that.   If you were, you would be rebreathing your own CO2.  It's not impossible, but it's not something happening every time you exhale.
-- Rich
Links to Download OSCAR here
OSCAR Installation and Setup

Using Attachments to Post Images on Apnea Board

INFORMATION ON FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
My own experience with CPAP humidifiers has been quite favorable. And I find that the high moisture levels helps my sinuses and nasal passages to open up and improve my breathing comfort.

TheDuke
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Not using water in AirSense 10 Elite Nishimark 2 96 03-21-2024, 12:47 AM
Last Post: Nishimark
Video [Equipment] Resmed AS10 Water Chamber Noise SOLUTION fixed it 0 90 03-18-2024, 12:36 PM
Last Post: fixed it
  Horrible chemically burned bacon smell in nose after water reservoir runs dey icashootnstar 13 1,815 03-18-2024, 09:39 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  CPAP toppled over/water issue Visitor 7 7,376 03-17-2024, 10:39 PM
Last Post: Willow85
  One-Piece Water Chamber Cleaning Davebr60 0 184 02-26-2024, 11:12 PM
Last Post: Davebr60
  Humidifier Chamber Leaks - Resmed 10 Old Mike 20 769 02-23-2024, 10:44 AM
Last Post: robbob2112
  [CPAP] Dry mouth despite humidifier and full face mask Tactful3149 2 448 02-13-2024, 03:25 PM
Last Post: Tactful3149

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.