Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

ResMed AirSense 10 "Smart Start" Doesn't Shut Down
ResMed AirSense 10 "Smart Start" Doesn't Shut Down
With smart start enabled the machine starts automatically but when I remove my mask (full face mask) the machine should automatically shut down but it keeps running. Any Ideas?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: ResMed AirSense 10 "Smart Start" Doesn't Shut Down
I have the same machine, and mine shuts down after 7 to 8 seconds. Does yours take longer than that? Or course that leaves a large leak on my record, which mungs up the statistics, so I always hit the stop button before I take off my mask. :-)
Post Reply Post Reply
After I removed my mask the thing ran full blast. I turned it off manually after 1 minute and 10 seconds
Post Reply Post Reply
With my Resmed Airsense, just removing my [pillows] mask doesn't shut it down. I assume this is because of reduced airflow. I unplug the mask from the hose and all is well.

Post Reply Post Reply
when first the S9 came out few years ago, smartstart did not work with full face mask
later on , with some upgrade, smartstart can be enabled using full face mask

try set the machine cpap mode pressure 10 and use it for couple of minutes while awake, see if shut down when remove the mask

have you tried a different mask, to see whether the problem only occur with full face mask

also could be faulty, have it replaced, new machines comes with 2 years warranty

Post Reply Post Reply
I'm on nasal pillows, with a fixed pressure of 8. I too use and like the Smart Start. I've noticed that it often doesn't Smart Stop. Sometimes it does, sometimes it doesn't. That's awkward, because I have to wait around to see if it plans to stop. Or else I have to always remember to stop it.

I think it was better at stopping when it was new -- before the AirFit P10 mesh got clogged, and I poked some extra holes, and then managed to get it unclogged in addition to the extra holes (but that's another thread). SO now it may have more leaks than it is designed for, and perhaps cannot tell as reliably when I've taken it off. I won't know till late October, when I get a new mask frame, if there is a difference there. That doesn't answer YOUR question, however. It might add another data point though.
Post Reply Post Reply
I can't recall where I read it previously in a forum thread but I believe it won't work at lower pressures. I'm 4.0 -6.2 and it has never shut off for me. I'm heading for my 4th Autoset but for other reasons.
Coffee

Happy Pappin'
Never Give In, Never Give Up

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. 
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-19-2015, 12:17 AM)sonicboom Wrote: I can't recall where I read it previously in a forum thread but I believe it won't work at lower pressures. I'm 4.0 -6.2 and it has never shut off for me. I'm heading for my 4th Autoset but for other reasons.
From user manual http://www.resmed.com/us/dam/documents/p...er_eng.pdf

SmartStart/Stop is enabled but the device does not stop automatically when you remove your mask

Incompatible mask system being used.
The patient is using a nasal pillows mask with a set pressure less than 7 cm H2O

Post Reply Post Reply
The 7.0 pressure limit is only for pillows due to their low flow rate andI am using a full facemask [also the document at the link referrers to the S9 and I am using model 10]
Post Reply Post Reply
Smart stop works very intermittently for me. I have stopped using it, and just hit stop. I still like and use smart start which works just fine, as long as the humidifier is properly latched Wink
هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه  هههههه
Tongue Suck Technique for prevention of mouth breathing:
  • Place your tongue behind your front teeth on the roof of your mouth
  • let your tongue fill the space between the upper molars
  • gently suck to form a light vacuum

Practising during the day can help you to keep it at night

هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه  هههههه
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question New CPAP User - Help Please - ResMed Airsense 11 Autoset Pawpri 25 474 3 hours ago
Last Post: Old Steve
Angry ResMed AirSense 10 Burn Smell bsullivan 70 25,829 9 hours ago
Last Post: her.suit
  New APAP machine: Lowenstein Prisma Smart Max Robert Detz 10 372 03-21-2024, 07:58 AM
Last Post: WisNaeMe
  From DreamStation to AirSense 10 or AirSense 11 xaid 7 620 03-20-2024, 04:57 PM
Last Post: labrat
  Semi-permanently disabling modem in ResMed Airsense 10 Sleep87 109 67,622 03-19-2024, 11:27 PM
Last Post: ivanvargas1
  [CPAP] PRISMA SMART MAX PROBLEMS WITH SOFTPAP LEVEL 2 rretamalt 18 2,010 03-19-2024, 06:17 PM
Last Post: motivationalGust
  [Equipment] ResMed AirSense 11 compatible pulse oximeters timtaller 63 25,810 03-16-2024, 11:27 AM
Last Post: e727147

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.