Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Leak rate - What does Resmed Airsense 10 report?
Leak rate - What does Resmed Airsense 10 report?
I am a little confused about the figure that my Resmed Airsence 10 displays for Leak. For example, looking at last night's data, the on machine's Sleep Report (Advanced section) displays the 1 day leak as 1L/min. However, when I viewed the actual data in Oscar I got the following: Med 0L/min, 95% 2.40L/min, Max 25.2L/min.  These figures correspond pretty closely to what I might expect from looking at the trace.

So the 1L/min reported does not seem to be the Med, 95% or Max.  So what exactly is it?

Elliot
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Leak rate - What does Resmed Airsense 10 report?
Median is the middle one. The s10 number is probably the average

Example:
Out of 100 data points,
51 are “0” aNd the other 49 are “100”

The min is 0, the max is 100 the median is “0” and the average is “49”
CPAP is a journey like “The Wizard of Oz”. It’s a long slow journey. You will face many problems and pick up many friends along the way. Just because you reach the poppies, it doesn’t mean you are in Kansas. 
Post Reply Post Reply
Another thought, it could be the 90% rate. I think OSCAR can be set up to report either figure.
CPAP is a journey like “The Wizard of Oz”. It’s a long slow journey. You will face many problems and pick up many friends along the way. Just because you reach the poppies, it doesn’t mean you are in Kansas. 
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-02-2020, 07:42 PM)Rcgop Wrote: Median is the middle one. The s10 number is probably the average

Example:
Out of 100 data points,
51 are “0” aNd the other 49 are “100”

The min is 0, the max is 100 the median is “0” and the average is “49”

That was my guess as well. But I have just found my "clinician" manual and checked what it has to say:

Average of the 95th percentile values of leak during the selected period for days with usage only.

As I was looking at the results for a single day, this means that it was displaying the result for last night's 95% value.  And I trust the result in Oscar more!
Post Reply Post Reply
the 95% is a statistacal value that means that 5% of the recorded values exceed that value or more correctly 95% of the values are at or lower than the specific value.
It does not mean that that value is the 95% of a value from 0 - 100
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-02-2020, 08:47 PM)bonjour Wrote: the 95% is a statistacal value that means that 5% of the recorded values exceed that value or more correctly 95% of the values are at or lower than the specific value.
It does not mean that that value is the 95% of a value from 0 - 100

I am not sure what you are saying.  I fully understand what the 95% value is.  I have had long career as a research scientist so I am fully okay with this statistical value!  My query is why,  based on the same data set, the Resmed machine and Oscar come to 2 different values. In fact, looking at the Oscar graph of the data, my inclination was that Oscar's  figure looks more likely to be correct.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question New CPAP User - Help Please - ResMed Airsense 11 Autoset Pawpri 26 495 5 hours ago
Last Post: Pawpri
  Flow rate kink at end of exhalation ahuman 7 99 11 hours ago
Last Post: Sleeprider
Angry ResMed AirSense 10 Burn Smell bsullivan 70 25,849 Yesterday, 11:41 AM
Last Post: her.suit
  Mouth leak with new machine LaraM 0 39 Yesterday, 06:41 AM
Last Post: LaraM
  Airsense 10 - AHI account for leak rate? FriedRice 9 243 03-27-2024, 06:16 AM
Last Post: FriedRice
  AirSense 10 leak rate baseline issue Phil7 6 1,413 03-25-2024, 05:49 AM
Last Post: FriedRice
  Taking Xyrem: what are these respiratory rate spikes DebJ 3 117 03-24-2024, 01:56 PM
Last Post: DebJ

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.