Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

ResMed AirSense 11 vs DreamStation 2
Question 
ResMed AirSense 11 vs DreamStation 2
Hey,

I know many people right now have a dislike (they probably would use a different word) for the DreamMachine 2 due to the recall. It's a huge mess, I understand. But I do plan - assuming they don't give me a new machine - to buy a new one at the end of the year. And I am a little torn.

I actually never liked my PR SystemOne machine. My DME at the time basically sold me an old unit as they were going out and being replaced by the DreamMachines by the time I bought my SysOne. Which, really in this case, kind of screwed me because all of the machines that have been replaced b y the recall so far have been the DreamMachines :/ But I digress. You live, and you learn. 

But it never worked right. It would never turn on automatically. Which is a huge feature that I love. 

But I knew the DreamMachine had a good humidifier system. And I read a lot of positive reviews with it. But same with the AirSense 10, and that's what i ended up replacing my SysOne with (although it is borrowed from my dad). 

The reason I am torn is the AirSense 11 doesn't look different (feature wise - I know there are physical differences). But then there's the DreamStation 2. Some people have said it seemed a step backwards from what they had, but then they complain about things I don't care about (the look, the finger prints, ect). So when it comes to the Humidifier system, the auto shut on/off feature, and the way the app works and if it shows useful data ... that's what i really care about.

So I say all of that ... to see what are the opinions of the owners of these machines? And what did you come from? Is the AirSense 11 worth upgrade from the 10? Is it basically the same (which isn't nec a bad thing)? What about the DreamStation 2 - is it better than the SysOne? Is it about the same as the AirSense 10/11? Better? Worse?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: ResMed AirSense 11 vs DreamStation 2
I would say stick with the AS10. The AS11 uses the same power supply as the AirMini, 65W, whereas the AS10 uses a 90w supply. To me, this means they had to lighten up the internals to drop 25 watts. In my opinion, I feel the AS11 is a stop-gap release. It provides a sellable product when parts are scarce, and prevents anyone getting an AS11 from jailbreaking it up to a higher model's capabilities.

Again, this is just my opinion and I don't have any facts to support this theory, other than my gut.
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I preferred ResMed even before the foamgate. I would stick with that brand. I see more board members getting better therapy easier with ResMed than Philips Respironics, in part due to better algorithm control.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
@Crimson Nape & SarcasticDave94 Thank you for your replies!
Post Reply Post Reply
I would agree with the sentiments above.

I have an AS11. Not my choice, just what the DME chose. It’s working fine and I’m happy with it. But…

If I were choosing, I’d currently go with an AS10 (or AS10-for-her if I wanted that algorithm). There are still supply issues getting filters, heated hoses and reservoirs for the AS11 while all that stuff is readily available for the AS10. And from what I can see, the AS10 construction seems more robust than the AS11.

So while I’m happy with the AS11, I still think the AS10 wins on supply / accessory availability and construction.
Post Reply Post Reply
@ScottZZZ Thank you for your input! Do you think the supply chain issues will be resolved by the end of the year? That’s when I’m really considering to buy a new machine. My insurance deductible will be used after my wife has our forth child (lol I definitely need sleep after this) so that’s why I want to buy a new machine. I also don’t want to use this machine until it dies. I won’t have a back up like I did this time.

Anyway thank you so much!
Post Reply Post Reply
I too would purchase an A10 over the A11. Although, if you aren't ready to buy until the end of this year, you may have a harder time finding an A10 if you're going for new. I would keep that in mind.

As far as the DS2, I wouldn't personally buy one over a ResMed.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I chose the AS10 For Her model as my Dreamstation replacement.  I wanted the extra algorithm, plus I read that the heated hose angle on the AS11 is not as good as on the AS10.  Also, the For Her version is a lot prettier.   Bigwink   I would NEVER go back to a Dreamstation.  I like the ResMed SOOO much better! like
Machine:  ResMed AirCurve 10 Vauto
Mask:  Bleep DreamPort Sleep Solution
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-01-2022, 08:10 AM)astraith Wrote: Do you think the supply chain issues will be resolved by the end of the year? 

I wish I knew.  It isn't clear how much of the problem is the generalized world-wide supply/shipping situation, and how much is due to Resmed's own production capacities.  

It really *seems like* (total speculation here) Resmed wasn't quite ready to start shipping the AS11 but accelerated the machine production and release due to the Respironics recall and related shortage of replacement machines.  I fear they may not ramp up production of spare parts (hoses, humidifiers, filters) until they get closer to satisfying demand for the machines themselves.

Just no way to predict, and I have not seen any statements or news releases from Resmed that would give any clue.   But owning an AS11 (I got mine in Sept-2021) and having to wait a month for a heated hose, then being unable to easily source filters, buy a spare heated hose or spare humidifier has been somewhat frustrating.  Adequate filters have become available via 3rd party manufacturers, but I haven't seen any supply improvement on the other parts -- nothing available at online sellers, and my DME reports long back-order times as well.
Post Reply Post Reply
I own both a ResMed AS 11 and a ResMed AS 10.  I previously used the DreamStation 2, but returned that to my DME.  So, having used all three, I too prefer ResMed, but I do not agree that the 10 is a better choice if you can get the AS 11 today.  The old user interface of the 10 has been improved greatly with the 11. If you can move away from the older hardware of the 10 (albeit a workhorse and great machine), why wouldn't you want to move into the year 2022? The AS 11 seems to do everything that the AS 10 does, but in a much slicker package. Using both devices, I prefer the AS 11. I'm certain that supply issues are temporary.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Angry ResMed AirSense 10 Burn Smell bsullivan 69 25,710 11 hours ago
Last Post: fixed it
Question New CPAP User - Help Please - ResMed Airsense 11 Autoset Pawpri 17 339 Yesterday, 07:47 AM
Last Post: Old Steve
  DreamStation 2 vs ResMed S9 gonzalo 3 69 03-25-2024, 12:36 PM
Last Post: StratCat48
  Switching from Dreamstation 1 to AirSense II autoset jed3 2 165 03-21-2024, 07:39 AM
Last Post: jed3
  From DreamStation to AirSense 10 or AirSense 11 xaid 7 612 03-20-2024, 04:57 PM
Last Post: labrat
  Semi-permanently disabling modem in ResMed Airsense 10 Sleep87 109 67,580 03-19-2024, 11:27 PM
Last Post: ivanvargas1
  [Equipment] ResMed AirSense 11 compatible pulse oximeters timtaller 63 25,759 03-16-2024, 11:27 AM
Last Post: e727147

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.