Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

ResMed Aircurve 10 ASV [Need help]
Sad 
ResMed Aircurve 10 ASV [Need help]
Hello!

I was dx'd with Central Sleep Apnea in April of 2015. I have not been able to use the machine consistently. I know this is detrimental to my health.
I was just recently dx'd with Mitral Valve Disease in my heart, so using my machine means even more to me now.

I do have the Resmed Rescan software downloaded. My machine is set for Bi-Pap, I know it's cpap and BiPap is just a marketing thing, I guess, as that is what was said to me in a post previously.

I am a mouth breather and that's why I must use the full face mask. I am a mouth breather because I have a deviated septum and do not breathe well through my nose. The inside is also all enlarged, another reason for mouth breathing.

I have tried most of the full face masks available, even the Air Touch memory foam and decided that the Air Fit F20 Infinity seal is the most comfortable for me. I do have a jaw strap but with most masks it is uncomfortable.

Here is the problem I am having.
So I lie down, get everything comfortable, I fall asleep, and guarantee that within an hour and 1/2 the mask is waking me up from farting across my face. The only way to stop it is to tighten it so far that it cuts into my face. The settings probably could use some adjusting, but I don't know what to adjust. I don't want to hurt myself.

I know about getting into the clinical settings by pushing the knob and home button at the same time. Here is all the info in the Clinical Settings:
I'll start by stating the smiley face is Smile for leakage, so apparently leakage level is good. ???

ASV AUTO
MIN epap   5.0
Max Epap  15.0
Min PS     0.0
Max PS   15.0
START EPAP   4.0

PRESSURE 16.1  
EXP PRESSURE 7.8
LEAK 25.L/MIN
VT 580ML
RR   11
MV   6.4L/MIN
TGMV  5.6L/MIN
AHI 3.8

I don't understand what these numbers mean, but I hope they are helpful to someone.

I am just 55 years young, and would love to have refreshing sleep.  I always wake up tired, and I know that for many who have been able to conquer wearing the mask, wake up feeling much better.  My brother also has osa and is able to wear the nasal mask. I am jealous. But it is what it is, and I am hoping for help. I am hoping for restorative sleep someday.

I've just placed the order for my Res Med Air-fit F20 frame etc, and it will be coming with the new Quiet Air Diffuser Vent. It may help, but I doubt it will fix my problem. I have tried everything, and I am still trying after 3 years.

I look forward to any replies. Thank you very much in advance. Thanks 

Talk with Ya soon!!

Deborah   Dont-know  Oh-jeez   Huh Annoyed-and-disappointed
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: ResMed Airsense 10 HELP
Hi, debnfurkids, and welcome to the forum, family, and the fun!  (Well, with your history, let's anticipate there will be some fun…)

Although I'm not qualified to speak about the meaning (and lack of correctness) of your numbers, there are many gurus in the forum who can and will; they usually come along and correct all my misstatements and errors.  Rolleyes 

I will say that your ASV (Adaptive servo-ventilation) machine, which I understand is even smarter than a Bi-Level (BiPAP is ResMed's trade name for it), should be ideal for providing therapy for your issues.  However, the settings may require some adjusting (appropriate time for gurus to pipe up!)

Deborah, one of the things that you will need to do in order that the gurus can fully advise you is to download a more powerful software application that works the same way ResScan does, yet provides far more, and far more detailed information than is available in ResScan.

It's called SleepyHead, referred to as "SH", and can be found here:
SleepyHead install

Also, to maximize the information available to the gurus, it's best to organize the SH charts as described in this Wiki article:
Organizing Your SleepyHead Charts

Now, this next suggestion will involve a lot of reading, probably accompanied by some head-scratching, and whatever adult beverages you turn to when times are tough: read the Wiki article that describes the basics of SH (and post whatever questions you have about that, as well):
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead

Okay, by now you prolly think that the gurus I've been speaking about are like unicorns, right?  Be of good cheer!  If you started right now and did the SH install, I'll bet that at least one of them would have already chimed up.  And certainly by the time you've uploaded some of your AirCurve data into SH and started arranging a chart, you'll have some visitors.

huh!  Bet you never thought it would be this much work, did ya? Dont-know

Edit: Oops!  See you've already gotten those mythical gurus' attention in another forum.  You go, gurl! Okay
Post Reply Post Reply
Your machine will start with a low range pressure when you first turn it on, then will increase as it detects obstruction in your airway.  Adjusting your mask "in the heat of the night" is always tough, first thing I'd try is using the mask fit option on your machine menu (which will apply the top pressure of your range) and adjusting the straps "gingerly" to get a good seal in your preferred sleeping position.  It'll be tighter than where you've been starting from, but should seal better through the whole range of pressures.

Another thing to try is a mask liner.  The few times I've used a FFM (Amara View), I also experienced skin moisture and "face farts," and that was completely eliminated with a liner.
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-22-2018, 04:00 PM)Hi Shaun! Thanks for taking SO much time to help me. That\s a lot of typing, I notice and I appreciate that so much. I tried to download sleepy head a few years ago without success and that's why I went with the ResMed software. But I am trying the sleepy head again. I haven't worn my mask in a few months, I gave up until I rec'd an email from ResMed telling me they redesigned the swivel with more vent holes, so here I am again, trying to use this machine that I desperately need. Of course I knew it would be lots of work. Nothing in my life is easy..lol. But if it helps me to get the restorative sleep I need desperately, I'll do the work. I read the Wiki page on mask fitting. I followed the instructions and I used the Mask Fit on the machine to get to the highest air flow. Man. I had to tighten the top and the bottom A LOT, it wasn't comfortable, but I'm used to pain unfortunate ly. I wish the mask could be worn comfortably. Hopefully with the help here I can get to that point. I want to thank you for your sense of humor! You made me giggle when I didn't want to. THANK YOU SHAUN! Well, I am off to read the other messages I have but wanted to respond to you and let you know I am on it! LOL!!!  Thanks again TTYS!! Wrote: Hi, debnfurkids, and welcome to the forum, family, and the fun!  (Well, with your history, let's anticipate there will be some fun…)

Although I'm not qualified to speak about the meaning (and lack of correctness) of your numbers, there are many gurus in the forum who can and will; they usually come along and correct all my misstatements and errors.  Rolleyes 

I will say that your ASV (Adaptive servo-ventilation) machine, which I understand is even smarter than a Bi-Level (BiPAP is ResMed's trade name for it), should be ideal for providing therapy for your issues.  However, the settings may require some adjusting (appropriate time for gurus to pipe up!)

Deborah, one of the things that you will need to do in order that the gurus can fully advise you is to download a more powerful software application that works the same way ResScan does, yet provides far more, and far more detailed information than is available in ResScan.

It's called SleepyHead, referred to as "SH", and can be found here:
SleepyHead install

Also, to maximize the information available to the gurus, it's best to organize the SH charts as described in this Wiki article:
Organizing Your SleepyHead Charts

Now, this next suggestion will involve a lot of reading, probably accompanied by some head-scratching, and whatever adult beverages you turn to when times are tough: read the Wiki article that describes the basics of SH (and post whatever questions you have about that, as well):
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead

Okay, by now you prolly think that the gurus I've been speaking about are like unicorns, right?  Be of good cheer!  If you started right now and did the SH install, I'll bet that at least one of them would have already chimed up.  And certainly by the time you've uploaded some of your AirCurve data into SH and started arranging a chart, you'll have some visitors.

huh!  Bet you never thought it would be this much work, did ya? Dont-know

Edit: ops!  Se you've already gotten those mythical gurus' attention in another forum.  You go, gurl! Okay
Post Reply Post Reply
Well I was able to download and use Sleepyhead!! YAY!! Maybe now I can get to use my machine with some guidance from all of you.
I am going to attach my report. Please remember that I was dx's with Central Sleep Apnea and only a few Obstructive events happening during study. I did include snoring in screenshot as that is what Is posted to do. So here goes.
I really hope I can get this machine set up better for myself. Idon't know how to make the screenshot large. I know if you click on it, it becomes big. I hope this screenshot is suitable. If i need to make it bigger, please do tell me how.
Thanks to everyone!! Looking very forward to good night's sleep soon, with your help.
[attachment=6950]

Post Reply Post Reply
(06-22-2018, 06:26 PM)Hi Ed, Thank you for replying to my post. You say machine will increase pressure when it detects obstruction, I don\t have OSA, but CSA. I do rarely snore, I was told this by Sleep Dr. right after dx. He dx'd me with Central Sleep Apnea, not obstructive. I have and usually do, fit the mask using the Mask Fit option. But the air that comes out of it is absolutely outrageous. I've tried mask liners with the Amara View, they didn't help. The Amara wasn't the answer to my problem, though I really wanted it to be. I wish I could get rid of the face farts as that is what wakes me right up. I did adjust my mask earlier so that no leaks were happening, and I had to tighten the mask really tight. I hope I can get this right sometime soon. I am almost ready to pack the machine up. But not before I try the AirFit F20 new Vent diffuser for the machine. It should be here by fri next week. I just placed my BiPap supplies, and they said the new frame, headgear, will come with the new vent. I'll try anything. I really need help with settings. I have posted a sleepyhead report in my original forum post. I just wanted to let you know a few things.Sleep Well Ed!! edfreeman Wrote: Your machine will start with a low range pressure when you first turn it on, then will increase as it detects obstruction in your airway.  Adjusting your mask "in the heat of the night" is always tough, first thing I'd try is using the mask fit option on your machine menu (which will apply the top pressure of your range) and adjusting the straps "gingerly" to get a good seal in your preferred sleeping position.  It'll be tighter than where you've been starting from, but should seal better through the whole range of pressures.

Another thing to try is a mask liner.  The few times I've used a FFM (Amara View), I also experienced skin moisture and "face farts," and that was completely eliminated with a liner.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: ResMed Aircurve 10 ASV [Need help]
Hi, debnfurkids, you rock, gurl!  Now that you've "conquered" SleepyHead and posted a chart with NO CAs (WOW!), you can relax and wait for the gurus to chime in with their advice.

I appreciate your frustration and disappointment with your mask.  I've had mustache and beard since before I was Dx'd with OSA so had to resort to nasal masks or nasal pillows since "day one".  I have read a lot of threads about FFM fit problems, and it seems that the folks who are most successful with them suggest that the straps should be tight but short of uncomfortable.  It seems that the successful technique is like trying to herd cats: tighten the straps one-by-one, a little at a time, and when you tighten one "just enough", you may need to loosen – or maybe re-tighten – another one.  There is a forum Wiki on masks that I think will provide some helpful information:

Mask Primer Wiki

Oh, If I may, I'd like to point out that when you quote a message and reply to it, you should click your cursor in the bottom section of the message window, below the box that surrounds the message you're quoting.  I think your cursor defaults at the top, making your responses wind up in the header section, and they appear bold and difficult to read.

Now sit back and have yourself a cold one, you've earned it!
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Deb, welcome to the forum. We only have a glimpse of your therapy in this chart, but I'm seeing some very restricted breathing along with recovery breaths as your machine tries to adjust pressure to compensate. Your settings are the default for a Resmed Aircurve 10 ASV auto, but the machine is unable to catch up to the events, and your pressure is clearly spiking out of control. I think we need to try another approach, using your ASV with a partner. Going back to the chart, we can see that by 1:45, your breathing is severely restricted. I can't tell you why it is not flagged, but it appears to be pretty severe hypopnea or flow limitation interspersed with recovery breaths, which are the big spikes in flow rate. We can see your machine is producing very low pressure until 01:43, when it starts ramping up pressure support very quickly. Another advantage to the soft cervical collar is the stability it provides to the jaw, prevents mask leaks. So this simple solution can solve a whole hose of problems.

I have a couple suggestions. First, let's take the EPAP min setting up from 5.0 to 6.0. That will resist the obstruction a bit better. Next, I'd like you to try a minimum pressure support (PS MIN) of 2.0. This will make breathing easier and more relaxed. Finally, I think the big change here is airway obstruction from your position. Your chin may be tucking toward your chest, or your neck is just aligned in a way that the airway becomes restricted. We have made amazing progress in this problem using a soft cervical collar. There are many threads on the forum that cover this subject, but we want to keep your airway aligned so the positive pressure can do its job. There are soft wrap-around collars like the Caldera Releaf and partial collars like the Dr Dakota Stop Snore (both on Amazon). These are an inexpensive and effective way to keep pressures lower and achieve efficacy.

Let me know if you have any questions, but I think these minor setting changes and using a positional apnea aid may make you much more comfortable, and your therapy more effective.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-23-2018, 11:31 AM)ShaunBlake Wrote: Hi, debnfurkids, you rock, gurl!  Now that you've "conquered" SleepyHead and posted a chart with NO CAs (WOW!), you can relax and wait for the gurus to chime in with their advice.

I appreciate your frustration and disappointment with your mask.  I've had mustache and beard since before I was Dx'd with OSA so had to resort to nasal masks or nasal pillows since "day one".  I have read a lot of threads about FFM fit problems, and it seems that the folks who are most successful with them suggest that the straps should be tight but short of uncomfortable.  It seems that the successful technique is like trying to herd cats: tighten the straps one-by-one, a little at a time, and when you tighten one "just enough", you may need to loosen – or maybe re-tighten – another one.  There is a forum Wiki on masks that I think will provide some helpful information:

Mask Primer Wiki

Oh, If I may, I'd like to point out that when you quote a message and reply to it, you should click your cursor in the bottom section of the message window, below the box that surrounds the message you're quoting.  I think your cursor defaults at the top, making your responses wind up in the header section, and they appear bold and difficult to read.

Now sit back and have yourself a cold one, you've earned it!

Oh dear Shaun. I must have posted the past two months? I need to go back and post older data. I haven't used the machine in about two months or so, I'd given up.

But I am awaiting the new vent diffuser for the mask and give it another go.
I was also taking Rozerem for sleep, and that made my apnea much worse, so I went back to Melatonin. Nobody has posted so I will go and see if I can get back to where the data shows my problems.

Thank you for the instructions about my posting replies, I had no idea, but now I do, Thank YOU!

I have gone and read some of the Mask Primer Wiki. I followed the instructions for the mask fit and I had to tighten it down hard to stop any leaks. The problem for me is that I fall asleep and about an hour to an hour and half the mask blows so hard, it leaks and it wakes me up. I've tried quite a few masks including the Amara. I have a very small head, I don't know if that is part of my problem. My eyes are close set also. I have an overbite, I grind my teeth and I mouth breathe, and I have a deviated septum or I would be on nasal mask in a minute. I've tried liners, two different ones, the chin strap. The only thing that has never been done is adjust the air flow. I know that it must be done in a proper fashion, and I don't know what that is. So I am off now to play with sleepyhead and try to get some numbers from earlier this year. Thanks a million for you help Shaun! YOU ROCK TOO!! Thanks
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-23-2018, 03:59 PM)Sleeprider Wrote: Hi Deb, welcome to the forum.  We only have a glimpse of your therapy in this chart, but I'm seeing some very restricted breathing along with recovery breaths as your machine tries to adjust pressure to compensate.  Your settings are the default for a Resmed Aircurve 10 ASV auto, but the machine is unable to catch up to the events, and your pressure is clearly spiking out of control.  I think we need to try another approach, using your ASV with a partner.  Going back to the chart, we can see that by 1:45, your breathing is severely restricted. I can't tell you why it is not flagged, but it appears to be pretty severe hypopnea or flow limitation interspersed with recovery breaths, which are the big spikes in flow rate.  We can see your machine is producing very low pressure until 01:43, when it starts ramping up pressure support very quickly.  Another advantage to the soft cervical collar is the stability it provides to the jaw, prevents mask leaks.  So this simple solution can solve a whole hose of problems.

I have a couple suggestions.  First, let's take the EPAP min setting up from 5.0 to 6.0. That will resist the obstruction a bit better. Next, I'd like you to try a minimum pressure support (PS MIN) of 2.0. This will make breathing easier and more relaxed.  Finally, I think the big change here is airway obstruction from your position.  Your chin may be tucking toward your chest, or your neck is just aligned in a way that the airway becomes restricted.  We have made amazing progress in this problem using a soft cervical collar.  There are many threads on the forum that cover this subject, but we want to keep your airway aligned so the positive pressure can do its job.  There are soft wrap-around collars like the Caldera Releaf and partial collars like the Dr Dakota Stop Snore (both on Amazon).  These are an inexpensive and effective way to keep pressures lower and achieve efficacy.

Let me know if you have any questions, but I think these minor setting changes and using a positional apnea aid may make you much more comfortable, and your therapy more effective.

Dear Sleeprider, THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU. I am SO happy to read that someone has seen what I am going through. You nailed the problem right on its head. machine is unable to catch up to the events, and your pressure is clearly spiking out of control I am going to order a cervical collar, and I think that will help. I am going to change the setting as you stated and see what I get. I also think my chin is tucking towards my chest. I don't know why as I am sleeping..haha. I don't have a partner to help me with this. I don't have any support that is not payed for. It's a long story. But, my kitty kats need me, so I plug on...MeOw. So I am off to order a cervical collar and change machine settings as you have stated. I can't say Thanks Thanks Thanks  ENOUGH. I should have used the knowledge here a long time ago, but I am here now, and I'm determined to use my machine. As Positive attitude counts for so much. I know I can master this, but I need HELP. So once again... Thanks  Would you like to me post tomorrow with Sleepyhead Data? Or should I wait until I have the collar? Oh, I'm excited that maybe now I can finally benefit from treating my CSA. Yay!!
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Rant and AirCurve 10 vs AirCurve 11 question Whacked 11 298 03-25-2024, 03:14 PM
Last Post: Sleepster
  [Treatment] Johnny O's ResMed AirCurve 10 VAuto for severe sleep apnea (61 AHI) and OSA, CSA JohnnyO 23 563 03-21-2024, 05:02 PM
Last Post: JohnnyO
  Plmnb's New Therapy ResMed AirCurve 10 ST-A Plmnb 204 8,503 03-19-2024, 06:31 AM
Last Post: Plmnb
  Trouble adapting to ResMed AirCurve 10 ASV JanetW 6 207 03-19-2024, 01:58 AM
Last Post: stevew168
  Aircurve 10 ST-A and Lumis 150 VPAP ST-A just a UK branding difference? SingleH 37 2,239 03-18-2024, 07:51 AM
Last Post: SingleH
  Oscar not recording CSR and RE with Aircurve 10 Vauto rmfisher132 1 88 03-17-2024, 04:33 PM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  new machine Resmed Aircurve 10 Vauto Uzupan 32 1,355 03-10-2024, 07:29 AM
Last Post: Uzupan

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.