Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

ResMed Aircurve S10 ASV and ResMed AirTouch F20 Mask problems.

I have been using AirTouch F20 Mask Medium masks for a long time, I cannot find anything better.

All my current machines, Dreamstation and now Aircurve S10 ASV both have to same problem with me…and these masks.

I REALLY thought and hoped a ResMed machine would run ResMed Mask without problems…seems they do not know how to handle them either.

So I get “Run away air flow…” from all machines… 

Normal air flow is nice a light breeze, on IPAP or inhaling,  run away is three times to more air flow, I mean a large lots of blowing air.  And all machines when in this problem seem to have problems feeling my wanting to exhale.

So far the only cure is to tighten the mask to nearly a painful tightness…

With the Dreamstation this problem normally only shows up until 3000 Hours or more of run time leading me to think it is a wear problem.

But the Aircurve S10 ASV has only 260 hours of run time and is doing it from day one…I seemed to need to turn off ASV Auto to just ASV to nearly stop this run away problem. But it is still happening from time to time, it seems like the Aircurve S10 ASV  like the Dreamstation ASV is not compatible with the ResMed AirTouch F20 Masks, it is like the foam lining is the main leaks. 

Again anyone know anything about these things??

Rich
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: ResMed Aircurve S10 ASV and ResMed AirTouch F20 Mask problems.
Rich  racprops;
     I don't know if this will help, But have You tried the F20 airfit cushion ??
     I use the F20 airfit it has a silicone cushion .. Which tends to seal tighter 
with higher pressure .. Fits the same frame Your using ..
     Supplier number 10 has the best price I have found ..
     If it works for You it would be an inexpensive fix ..
Best of luck I hope this will work .. 
     Steve
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for trying to help.

I already have a F20 Airfit silicone cushion on hand from a earlier try and I tried it again hoping it would work with the ResMed ASV.

It was big failure: it would seem to work for about ten minutes and then lose majorly with a BIG Mask fart...The foam loses seal in small ways, ones  that you can barely feel but these do it BIG....And no mater how snug or TIGHT it would hold for a while and that shock me awake with a LARGE NOSILY mask fart.

Part of the reason I think was that it also was slipping around my face, really it was drifting to the right side of my face. It just would not stay put.

Rich
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-19-2023, 07:47 PM)racprops Wrote: So I get “Run away air flow…” from all machines… 

Normal air flow is nice a light breeze, on IPAP or inhaling,  run away is three times to more air flow, I mean a large lots of blowing air.  And all machines when in this problem seem to have problems feeling my wanting to exhale.

So far the only cure is to tighten the mask to nearly a painful tightness…

"Normal" is pressure, not flow. With either machine or any mask, if you feel a breeze, you have leaks, and the machine will work harder to maintain pressure which will result in the feeling of a runaway machine.  If you have failed to get a fit without cinching the mask tight, you either need a new size or style of mask.  Masks are intended to fit air-tight with a light touch.  What models have you tried so far?
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I have been using CPAP for 10 years.

I started with a Phillips BiPAP ASV 950, and a Full Full Mask. (one that looks like a fireman’s full face mask, covering the Eyes as well)

From your replay I relised I was slightly inaccurate in telling what I feel.

When I exhale (IPAP) I do not feel any air flow, that is as you describe “With either machine or any mask, if you feel a breeze, you have leaks,” so as I feel no breeze at IPAP and my machines only shows the normal leak rates I think I can say I have a good mask seal most of the time.

It is on inhale (EPAP) that I feel a breeze, as I inhale.

Also these “ranaway”  happening don’t happen all the time.

They don’t happen on a new machine or a rebuilt machine (New mother board and fan and performance testing by citified repair shop) has been on avg. 3000 to 5000 hours.  That has been 1 to 1.7 Years before “runaway”.

That is a year to two years of no problems and then blam it happens.

The ResMed ASV was a surprise as it started doing it right at the start up.

Question: As far as I know both Phillips and ResMed machine’s overall run hours cannot not be wiped, much like a cars odometer, (although there ARE ways to do that even with the new electronic odometers..)

So I feel the 206+ run hours on my newer ResMed ASV should be true.

I have been using ResMed AirTouch F20 foam masks for some number of years.

They seemed to have gone through a number of changes during that time.

When I started using them for the first year I was going through its UltraSoft memory foam cushion in one to two weeks. They kept tearing, mainly at the nose bridge.

Over time this was fixed, I believe by changes in the makeup of the UltraSoft memory foam cushion.

I also learned I could not store spares for any real time, EVEN in sealed containers the UltraSoft memory foam cushion foam would spoil, go bad and get more goopy… this showed their shelf life was about 3 to 6 months at best.

Under Medicare I get a new UltraSoft memory foam cushion every month.

The straps even 6 months….these darn thing keep stretching all the time which means a good and tight mask will become loosen during the night, requiring retightening during a 8 hour sleep. I have tried other straps with mixed results.

These straps produce dents in my head every night from the straps.

I suspect ResMed has made a change again to the makeup of the cushion, and this change has made them more porous, allowing more air to leak thought the foam.

So I have to over tighten brand new cushions as tight as I can stand them to stop the “Runaway”.    

Rich
Post Reply Post Reply
Rich - You have the descriptions a little backwards.  The inhale phase is IPAP (Inhalation Positive Air Pressure) and the exhale is EPAP (Exhalation Positive Air Pressure).  While it doesn't change on the feeling you are experiencing, the term reversal may confuse a reader without this knowledge.

- Red
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I think the Touch has to be set up real loose; otherwise the foam will just retract under the silicone and you end up with the silicone making the seal against the face---and imho, this negates the reason (the foam) for using the Touch in the first place. ---and I think the silicone on the Touch is not designed to make a seal as it is on the Fit, (too sharp an edge). ymmv. But it may be the reason for your excessive leaks when you overtighten the mask straps . When you put on the Touch, try running a forefinger around the skin-cushion seal (outside) to estimate how much foam you have actually making the seal.

Through trial and error, I started setting up the Touch looser and looser to take advantage of the foam; my problem was the pillow started moving the head gear around and causing major leaks. I started using a buckwheat hull pillow, adjusted so that the pillow\head contact point was in between the straps on the headgear; this seemed to work for me.
Post Reply Post Reply
Opps I will try to fix it. Well I am too late.

I will give that a try...

Thanks.

It seems when they are new they USED to work like that...

Rich
Post Reply Post Reply
There ave been other discussions on the Air Touch (which I use) and most agreed it has to be worn tightly. I have to do that. Fitted tight I have virtually no mask leaks. My average pressure runs about 12.
Post Reply Post Reply
Well other than slight headaches and strap dents all this has helped...I now tighten until the air flow is small.

So thanks everyone.

Rich
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question New CPAP User - Help Please - ResMed Airsense 11 Autoset Pawpri 26 491 2 hours ago
Last Post: Pawpri
  Introducing the ResMed AirFit F40 MrIvanDrago 52 3,300 6 hours ago
Last Post: psinderbrand
Angry ResMed AirSense 10 Burn Smell bsullivan 70 25,841 Yesterday, 11:41 AM
Last Post: her.suit
  Transitioning from ResMed to Lowenstein Prisma 20A SakimaStorm 2 110 03-27-2024, 02:38 PM
Last Post: SakimaStorm
  Resmed AS10 vs AS11. Are hoses/filters interchangable? plpauly 2 95 03-26-2024, 08:30 PM
Last Post: OpalRose
Angry AirTouch N20 - digs into cheek - any solutions? Lilaq88 2 614 03-26-2024, 03:16 PM
Last Post: Valtor
  Impact of Resmed P10 on Nostrils ivan007 1 79 03-26-2024, 10:45 AM
Last Post: OpalRose

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.