Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

ResMed Airsense 10 Autoset Leaking Oil?
ResMed Airsense 10 Autoset Leaking Oil?
I haven't used my ResMed Airsense 10 Autoset for a couple of days and when I started to use it I saw there there was a blob of light yellow oil filled inside the nostril silicon area of my pillow mask. The oil is clean and odorless like cooking vegetable oil.

I checked my climate line tubing, there appeared to be no trace of the sticky oil. I switched on my ResMed and blow out the air there were no oil either. I checked with my house members and no one has touched my machine or the pillow mask.

Thus I am perplexed where the yellow blob of oil came from. I suspect the oil may have originated from the machine internal motor or something burst inside. But my machine (over 10 years old) is still functioning although I dare not use it temporarily.

Can anyone tell me what could be the problem and is it safe to continue using it?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: ResMed Airsense 10 Autoset Leaking Oil?
Not an expert but if you have an Airsense 10 you listed your machine is WAY WAY less than 10 years old it was only released in late 2014 or later so < 6.5 years. Also not likely machine oil in your mask if nothing in hose or machine, maybe a "bugger" from your nose??
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-20-2021, 04:14 AM)newguy99 Wrote: Not an expert but if you have an Airsense 10 you listed your machine is WAY WAY less than 10 years old it was only released in late 2014 or later so < 6.5 years. Also not likely machine oil in your mask if nothing in hose or machine, maybe a "bugger" from your nose??

You are right on the age of the Airsense 10 - its about 6 years old. I have been using it night after night for so many years that it seems ages that I have used it that I forgot the date I bought it. I only remembered I bought Airsense 10 at the time when it first came out and about the same time I joined ApneaBoard. That was around 2014/15.

There is no way that the clean, clear oil (about 1 table spoon full) could have come from my nose or anywhere from my body. I am still perplexed where it came from. I just want to know if there is any motor oil in the machine and if it leaks, would it exit through the breathing tube or else where (eg from the underneath body of the machine like our car). I would have to be careful if the leaks goes through the breathing tubing which common sense tells me it would not.

Anyway, I used the Airsense again last night there was no incident. My Airsense was just as quiet and functioning well as the first day I bought it 6 years ago.
Post Reply Post Reply
You've got me stumped. I'd think the motor bearings and such would be sealed. We're not getting PAP lubrication work every so many months. So saying this that I can't think where oil would come from on a CPAP.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I agree with Dave no way the oil has come from the motor and traveled all the way down the tube to the mask.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-20-2021, 02:15 AM)sharp56 Wrote: I checked with my house members and no one has touched my machine or the pillow mask.

Maybe you live with some pranksters? Playing a joke on you? Rolleyes

Have to agree with others that the oil couldn't come from the motor, travel the length of tubing to your mask. Certainly you would see residue oil elsewhere.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you guys for the confirmation that the oil could not have come from the motor and travel all the way through the tubing to the mask. I have been using the Airsense for several days now and there are no issues.

Most probably it is caused by some naughty, young pranksters in my house who filled up the nozzle with vegetable oil and got a good laugh seeing these oil spilled up on my face.
Post Reply Post Reply
I had the same problem with same unit, but the oil turned up in the humidifier reservoir. When it was empty one morning I found the residue on the bottom of the chamber. Very light like machine lubricant. That was about a year ago, but occasionally I still get the odor of heated/burning oil. My device provider says impossible because no moving parts, but if the unit has any kind of fan there are moving parts and they have to be lubricated.
Post Reply Post Reply
My guess it’s condensation/water that collected dirt particles in the hose or somewhere else and eventually spilled over. When was the last time you cleaned the hose.
Post Reply Post Reply
It was in the reservoir, not the hose.  Hose, reservoir and mask changed at least 4 times and cleaned countless times.   Filter changed every 2 weeks. Can only be coming from the mechanical parts.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Angry ResMed AirSense 10 Burn Smell bsullivan 69 25,713 Yesterday, 05:18 PM
Last Post: fixed it
  How do I reduce mouth leaking? meatheadmd 6 358 Yesterday, 01:42 PM
Last Post: Old Codger
Question New CPAP User - Help Please - ResMed Airsense 11 Autoset Pawpri 17 342 Yesterday, 07:47 AM
Last Post: Old Steve
  Need help with Airsense 10 AutoSet JonUK 2 104 03-25-2024, 06:11 PM
Last Post: JonUK
  [Equipment] Should I turn on the AB Filter option on my AirSense 10 AutoSet for these filters? cLoo 10 836 03-22-2024, 01:34 AM
Last Post: stevew168
  Switching from Dreamstation 1 to AirSense II autoset jed3 2 166 03-21-2024, 07:39 AM
Last Post: jed3
  From DreamStation to AirSense 10 or AirSense 11 xaid 7 612 03-20-2024, 04:57 PM
Last Post: labrat

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.