Mask Type: Not using mask
Mask Make & Model: none
Humidifier: none
CPAP Pressure: none
CPAP Software: Not using software

Other Comments:

Sex: Male
ResMed Airsense 10 Setting Question
Last night was my 4th night on APAP, I had been doing well the previous 3 nights except I had a nasal mask and I am a mouth breather. (AH of between 2 and 3). I had asked DME for a full face mask but they could not get it to me until the 4th night so I used a makeshift chin strap 3rd night and it was a good night, I just don't like the strap. They gave me a small mask (Airfit F10) I told them I think I need a medium but they insisted this was the right size. I had a terrible night last night I think it was because the mask was too small. When I would open my mouth the mask was so short the bottom of it would end up in my mouth, meaning leak, wake up again, etc. Happened many times and my AH was 9. I did realize this morning I did not reset my Resmed S10 to full face mask from nasal mask, does this make a difference or do you think my bad night was due to the small mask? I am even more irritated now (mostly due to lack of sleep) because it is the start to a long weekend and now I am stuck with a small mask.

I appreciate this site, I was well prepared for my first night because of all I had read here.
07-03-2015 09:36 AM
Find all posts by this user Post Reply Quote this message in a reply

Donate to Apnea Board
justMongo Offline

Monitors

Machine: ResMed VPAP Auto (S9)
Mask Type: Full face mask
Mask Make & Model: ResMed Mirage Quattro
Humidifier: ResMed H5i
CPAP Pressure: 18 IPAPmax - 11 EPAPmin, PS=5
CPAP Software: Other Software

Other Comments: μολὼν λαβέ

RE: ResMed Airsense 10 Setting Question
Small mask is your issue. The difference between S, M and L mask is the height. It increase by 1 cm per size.
The machine setting relates more to the machine knowing the mask vent rate for leakage calculations.

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
07-03-2015 09:48 AM
flightco Offline

Members

Machine: none

Other Comments:

(07-03-2015 09:48 AM)justMongo Wrote:  Small mask is your issue. The difference between S, M and L mask is the height. It increase by 1 cm per size.
The machine setting relates more to the machine knowing the mask vent rate for leakage calculations.

Thank you.

One positive side of a lousy night is it reminded me of what I felt like everyday only a few days ago. I felt better upon waking my first morning and thought it was only my imagination, they way I feel today reminds me of how much better I feel after using the CPAP all night.
07-03-2015 10:15 AM

Donate to Apnea Board
trish6hundred Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: Resmed S9 AutoSet for Her
Mask Make & Model: Fisher & Paykel Simplus
Humidifier: H5i Heated Humidifier
CPAP Pressure: 10 - 7-20 Cm H2O

Other Comments: I started CPAP in 2008. Totally blind since birth.

Sex: Female

Hi flightco,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
You might set your machine to the full-face-mask setting and see if that will help.
Hang in there for more suggestions and answers to your questions and much success to you with your CPAP therapy.

trish6hundred
07-03-2015 10:20 AM
trailrider Offline

Preferred Members-2

Machine: A10 Autoset for Her
Mask Type: Nasal mask
Mask Make & Model: Eson or P10
Humidifier: autoset
CPAP Pressure: 6-12 DME, 7-13 me
CPAP Software: SleepyHead

Other Comments: engineer. EPR at 3, unheated hose, humidity at 2. Routine hose entanglement.

Tell the provider you want a larger mask now, as originally requested. They don't need to be stupid about meeting your needs.
07-03-2015 02:53 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
flightco Offline

Members

Other Comments:

I got the larger mask and it helps with the leakage. I think I am better off with the Wisp and a chin guard though. With the smaller mask, I was at 9+ events per hour, with the new larger mask I am at 4.4 but with the Wisp nasal mask and a chin strap I have been below 2 every time I used it.

I like the full face mask, I am able to sleep on my side better with it and I like not having a chin strap. In others experience, any idea why the events are greater with the FF?
07-08-2015 11:20 AM
OB-Left Offline

Preferred Members

Machine: ResMed Airsence 10 Auto
Mask Make & Model: AirFit F10, Mirage Quatro
Humidifier: Integrated
CPAP Pressure: 6 - 12
CPAP Software: SleepyHead

Other Comments:

Mine started out higher also and continued to drop the more I used it. Now consistently below 1.5!
07-08-2015 08:29 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
flightco Offline

Members

Other Comments:

(07-08-2015 08:29 PM)OB-Left Wrote:  Mine started out higher also and continued to drop the more I used it. Now consistently below 1.5!

Sounds like I need to hang in there
07-08-2015 09:19 PM
Oscargrchy Offline

Members

Machine: ResMed AirSense 10
Mask Type: Nasal mask
Mask Make & Model: Unsure
Humidifier: Unsure
CPAP Pressure: Auto 8-18 average 12
CPAP Software: Other Software

Other Comments:

(07-08-2015 11:20 AM)flightco Wrote:  I got the larger mask and it helps with the leakage. I think I am better off with the Wisp and a chin guard though. With the smaller mask, I was at 9+ events per hour, with the new larger mask I am at 4.4 but with the Wisp nasal mask and a chin strap I have been below 2 every time I used it.

I like the full face mask, I am able to sleep on my side better with it and I like not having a chin strap. In others experience, any idea why the events are greater with the FF?

Welcome aboard I am also a mouth breather and don't like the feel of the strap either so my RT suggested try using a tensor bandage as a strap and see if it feels less intrusive. Sleep-well She told me with the full mask my events numbers would go up so try and train myself to sleep with my mouth closed.
07-08-2015 11:20 PM

Donate to Apnea Board

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
Question ResMed AirSense 10 Badjo17 25 2,161 Today 11:02 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Is this sound normal? - Resmed Airsense 10 Autoset Ronberta 8 1,159 11-29-2016 07:59 PM
Last Post: sonicboom
  Question: sound level on Resmed S9 WITHOUT humidifier, compared to Remstar 560 kowlooner 8 198 11-29-2016 10:51 AM
Last Post: kowlooner
  [Equipment] ResMed Airsense 10 Quit Working SherrieR 4 203 11-26-2016 07:51 PM
Last Post: trish6hundred
Angry Resmed Airsense/Telstra 2G wireless kerput JamesW 2 176 11-24-2016 11:08 PM
Last Post: JamesW
  ResMed Airsense 10 Auto Set...Runaway Pressure Abnormal86 14 498 11-22-2016 11:39 PM
Last Post: sonicboom
  Resmed Adapt ASV question storywizard 7 319 11-21-2016 01:02 PM
Last Post: storywizard