Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

ResMed Airsense 10 pulses as if something hit the hose?
ResMed Airsense 10 pulses as if something hit the hose?
My Resmed Airsence 10 has an problem that my DME and ResMed Rep say they have not seen before. I am using the F10 FFM.

Symptom: When the machine is on but inactive without pressure but with residual airflow with mask on and attached to the hose there is a slight pulsing sensation on exhaling. The DME says that is normal and that is OK with me.

The Problem: However, during the night with mask at 15+cm pressure the "pulsing" becomes pronounced enought to wake me up. It is not continuous but occurs several times per minute in a random manner. While awake I observe the problem only when exhaling and still random. It feels like something "slapped" the hose (no I do not have a cat as the ResMed rep asked Smile ). The effect is similiar to the inactive symptom described above but about 10 time more intense. if I put the machine in inactive mode and restart the problem seems to go away only to return sometime later and awaken me again. ( A new machines does this also)

The EPR is set to 3 full time. Works well for me but I suspect that this maybe the root of the problem. I plan to try EPR 2, 1 and off, but thought I would poll the forum to see if anyone has a had similar experience and hopefully knows a solution.
It does not matter how slowly you go as long as you do not stop. --Confucius
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: ResMed Airsense 10 pulses as if something hit the hose?
I am new to CPAP and probably wrong, but I seem to recall reading something about ASV pulsing to detect/correct(?) Centrals? I don't think the Airsence 10 has ASV though so it probably isn't that - could it be related?
Post Reply Post Reply
He's specific that it's an Autoset; which is not an ASV.
Here's a thought: Perhaps the anti-asphyxia valve in the FFM is defective?

Or, your unit has a defective motor controller.
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-19-2016, 01:56 PM)FrankNichols Wrote: I am new to CPAP and probably wrong, but I seem to recall reading something about ASV pulsing to detect/correct(?) Centrals? I don't think the Airsence 10 has ASV though so it probably isn't that - could it be related?

(03-19-2016, 02:02 PM)justMongo Wrote: He's specific that it's an Autoset; which is not an ASV.
Here's a thought: Perhaps the anti-asphyxia valve in the FFM is defective?

Or, your unit has a defective motor controller.

Yes it is autoset, but the EPR reduces the pressure on exhaling ( I was told 3cm per setting 3 = 9cm?). The DME replaced the initial A10, but the problem remains. I aslo suspect the Anti-asphyxia valve is defective. If it is the valve it may be related to the pressure reduction of EPR allowing the valve to malfunction. If the EPR reductions do not fix then I am due a new mask in early April that will have a new elbow and valve. DME discounts the valve as the problem. ResMed Rep seemed stumped and never heard of this problem

The Ai10 uses low level puses to detect Centrals vs OA, but the problem occurs when I am wide awake (haven't checked Sleepyhead if Centrals are occuring when I know I am awake). I have introduced a "snore" as a marker so I can be sure when the problem is occuring while I am awake. Will check SH to see what it reveals for the new replacement A10. Prior A10 did not show any mask pressure spikes that I could locate only the normal half sine variation associated with the EPR level.Dont-know

I do not know how the A10 "knows" I am exhaling. Could be some irregular breathing cause the SW to be fooled? Maybe I should see if I can fool the SW and make it generate the "pulse".

Any suggesions welcome.
It does not matter how slowly you go as long as you do not stop. --Confucius
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-19-2016, 03:50 PM)Ed1101 Wrote: Yes it is autoset, but the EPR reduces the pressure on exhaling ( I was told 3cm per setting 3 = 9cm?). Nein. 1 cm per setting for up to 3 cm total.

The DME replaced the initial A10, but the problem remains. I aslo suspect the Anti-asphyxia valve is defective. If it is the valve it may be related to the pressure reduction of EPR allowing the valve to malfunction. If the EPR reductions do not fix then I am due a new mask in early April that will have a new elbow and valve. DME discounts the valve as the problem. ResMed Rep seemed stumped and never heard of this problem

The Ai10 uses low level pulses to detect Centrals vs OA, That is a 4 Hertz, 1cm amplitude, near sine wave; you'll not feel it. but the problem occurs when I am wide awake (haven't checked Sleepyhead if Centrals are occuring when I know I am awake). I have introduced a "snore" as a marker so I can be sure when the problem is occuring while I am awake. Will check SH to see what it reveals for the new replacement A10. Prior A10 did not show any mask pressure spikes that I could locate only the normal half sine variation associated with the EPR level.Dont-know

I do not know how the A10 "knows" I am exhaling. It's running a moving average on flow; and uses that average to set a zero crossing threshold. Could be some irregular breathing cause the SW to be fooled? Maybe I should see if I can fool the SW and make it generate the "pulse".

Any suggesions welcome.

Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
The Resmeds EPR setting of 3 = 3cm reduction upon exhalation. EPR OF 2= 2cm reduction and EPR OF 1 = 1cm reduction.

The "pulse" is sent to determine if the airway has collapsed.

If the machine determines the airway is open and detects no breathing, the apnea is a Clear Airway or Central, and the APAP will not increase pressure. Increasing pressure will not treat Clear Airways.

If the pulse determines that the airway is partially closed, then it will start to raise pressure to help keep airway open.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-19-2016, 01:56 PM)FrankNichols Wrote: I am new to CPAP and probably wrong, but I seem to recall reading something about ASV pulsing to detect/correct(?) Centrals? I don't think the Airsence 10 has ASV though so it probably isn't that - could it be related?

resmed asv's don't attempt to detect centrals. instead, they treat them.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi I have similar but less invasive issue. I use P10 pillows but have noted that when going to sleep on exhale sometimes, and this might be only 2 or 3 times a night, the hose does need jerk or bounce similar to how you describe. Ive mentioned this to me sleep consultant but with no response. Doesn't bother me as get to sleep ok but agree I have had similar symptoms to you. Sorry I can't solve!
Post Reply Post Reply
It seems the only thing I got right in my post was that I was probably wrong Smile
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-19-2016, 08:41 PM)FrankNichols Wrote: It seems the only thing I got right in my post was that I was probably wrong Smile

Welcome to my world. Coffee Bigwink

Gettin' old ain't fun, but it's better than the alternative.
SuperSleeper
Apnea Board Administrator
www.ApneaBoard.com

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Angry ResMed AirSense 10 Burn Smell bsullivan 69 25,715 Yesterday, 05:18 PM
Last Post: fixed it
Question New CPAP User - Help Please - ResMed Airsense 11 Autoset Pawpri 17 343 Yesterday, 07:47 AM
Last Post: Old Steve
  From DreamStation to AirSense 10 or AirSense 11 xaid 7 613 03-20-2024, 04:57 PM
Last Post: labrat
  Semi-permanently disabling modem in ResMed Airsense 10 Sleep87 109 67,593 03-19-2024, 11:27 PM
Last Post: ivanvargas1
  [Equipment] ResMed AirSense 11 compatible pulse oximeters timtaller 63 25,760 03-16-2024, 11:27 AM
Last Post: e727147
  What happens when SD card fills? - Resmed Airsense 10 Craigtech 1 227 03-10-2024, 04:12 PM
Last Post: stevew168
  Setting time and date on Resmed Airsense 10 cmadon 42 32,173 03-08-2024, 09:13 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.