Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

ResMed Airsense 10 pulses as if something hit the hose?
RE: ResMed Airsense 10 pulses as if something hit the hose?
(03-20-2016, 01:30 PM)Ed1101 Wrote: When machine is in pause mode, there is some air flow per manual to ensure dry out of hose. There is a slight pulsing on exhaling in this mode which the DME says is normal but the hose does not "jump" or bounce. The plate only partially closes the port in the pause mode.
why do you have your mask on, and breathing when the machine is in standby mode?

(03-20-2016, 01:30 PM)Ed1101 Wrote: Notwithstanding, what the DME says the port does exhaust air on exhaling as I can feel it with my hand.
if you're talking about exhaling when the machine is off (standby) then again, why are you breathing with the mask on and the machine of?

(03-20-2016, 01:30 PM)Ed1101 Wrote: I do not know if the drop of 3cm (EPR=3) from 15cm would allow the port to partly open.
not unless the mask is defective

(03-20-2016, 01:30 PM)Ed1101 Wrote: Actually the air coming out of the port feels fairly constant to me so I do not think the valve works as the DME states. I think it reacts to air flow and closes proportionally. I do not know if there is a minimum pressure (air flow) that fully closes the the port but certainly 15cm should fully close the port. Anyone know this value for the F10 mask?

the AA valve is fully closed at *ALL* operating pressures of a cpap, which means 3cm and up. any air that you're feeling is coming from the vent holes that encircle the hole where the elbow connects.
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-20-2016, 01:06 PM)justMongo Wrote: One last thought. Make sure the machine is set (in its menu) for a FFM. If set to Pillows or? it could cause the airflow to transition to/from EPR at a rate that's noticeable.

The mask is set for FFM. My min PS=15 so EPR=3 is PS =13. The Hose "jerk" is not contineous but somewhat random on exhalation only. While awake it may not occur at all then it may occur 2 or 3 time in the 5-10 minutes until I go back to sleep. I rarely have the problem on initial sleep usually upon awakening in the night. SH show the mask pressure as close to a half sine wave that follows the pressure curve.
It does not matter how slowly you go as long as you do not stop. --Confucius
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-20-2016, 01:38 PM)palerider Wrote: why do you have your mask on, and breathing when the machine is in standby mode?

the AA valve is fully closed at *ALL* operating pressures of a cpap, which means 3cm and up. any air that you're feeling is coming from the vent holes that encircle the hole where the elbow connects.

"Standby Mode", thats the word I have needed. I just notice it when I first put the mask on in standby mode before I reach over and push the button that initiates pressure. When I fisrt noticed the pulsing I paused to see what was happening. Do you put the mask/pillow on under pressure?

Fully closed at 3cm and above was what I had been told. It seems reasonable that the valve is fully closed as the leak rate I see is ranging around 10-15 L/min and would be *MUCH* higher if the AA port was even partily open and the mask pressure follows a half sine wave around the pressure in SH. I was speaking of feeling the air escaping at the AA port when under pressure ... it seems to come from the port not only the holes around the elbow port?
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-20-2016, 01:44 PM)Ed1101 Wrote: The mask is set for FFM. My min PS=15 so EPR=3 is PS =13. My min pressure is 15, my max pressure is 30, and my EPR is 3 The Hose "jerk" is not contineous but somewhat random on exhalation only. While awake it may not occur at all then it may occur 2 or 3 time in the 5-10 minutes until I go back to sleep. I rarely have the problem on initial sleep usually upon awakening in the night. SH show the mask pressure as close to a half sine wave that follows the pressure curve.

PS is a parameter on bilevel machines such as the VPAP series.

Any chance you're overfilling the water chamber; or getting condensation in the hose. If so, a bead of water can "whap' the hose.
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-20-2016, 01:44 PM)Ed1101 Wrote: The mask is set for FFM. My min PS=15 so EPR=3 is PS =13.

PS is Pressure Support, the difference in inhalation and exhalation pressure.

it's primarily applicable to bilevel machines, but EPR acts as a limited bilevel, so your PS is 3 when your EPR is 3.
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-20-2016, 02:00 PM)Ed1101 Wrote:
(03-20-2016, 01:38 PM)palerider Wrote: why do you have your mask on, and breathing when the machine is in standby mode?

"Standby Mode", thats the word I have needed. I just notice it when I first put the mask on in standby mode before I reach over and push the button that initiates pressure. When I fisrt noticed the pulsing I paused to see what was happening. Do you put the mask/pillow on under pressure?
what the anti asphyxiation port does when the machine is in standby is completely immaterial to normal operating behavior.

it's like talking about how fast your car is going when the engine is off. (or something.. someone come up with a better analogy)

(03-20-2016, 02:00 PM)Ed1101 Wrote: it seems to come from the port not only the holes around the elbow port?
how could you tell, since the air from the vents blows over where the aa port is?
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-20-2016, 02:00 PM)justMongo Wrote: PS is a parameter on bilevel machines such as the VPAP series.

Any chance you're overfilling the water chamber; or getting condensation in the hose. If so, a bead of water can "whap' the hose.

Last night we had a party at our house and I did not follow my normal routine of preparing everything around 6PM. Changed routine and I forgot to fill the water chamber. "Whap" still there and I experimented with changes in EPR as noted elsewhere in this thread. Also have heated hose option, so condensation in the hose not the issue.
Post Reply Post Reply
PaleRider wrote:
how could you tell, since the air from the vents blows over where the aa port is?

The circular vents are about 1" from the AA port but it may not be possible to tell. Just my impression.

Standyby mode immaterial to normal operation. Got it.
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-19-2016, 09:09 PM)SuperSleeper Wrote: Gettin' old ain't fun, but it's better than the alternative.

I don't know - I was dead for several billion years I don't remember how it felt

Ed Seedhouse
VA7SDH

Part cow since February 2018.

Trust your mind less and your brain more.

Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks to all. I have learned a great deal from your replys and comments. That is what is so great about this board ... good information and no Newbie question is considered a stupid question.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question New CPAP User - Help Please - ResMed Airsense 11 Autoset Pawpri 21 395 39 minutes ago
Last Post: Pawpri
Angry ResMed AirSense 10 Burn Smell bsullivan 69 25,724 Yesterday, 05:18 PM
Last Post: fixed it
  From DreamStation to AirSense 10 or AirSense 11 xaid 7 613 03-20-2024, 04:57 PM
Last Post: labrat
  Semi-permanently disabling modem in ResMed Airsense 10 Sleep87 109 67,601 03-19-2024, 11:27 PM
Last Post: ivanvargas1
  [Equipment] ResMed AirSense 11 compatible pulse oximeters timtaller 63 25,771 03-16-2024, 11:27 AM
Last Post: e727147
  What happens when SD card fills? - Resmed Airsense 10 Craigtech 1 228 03-10-2024, 04:12 PM
Last Post: stevew168
  Setting time and date on Resmed Airsense 10 cmadon 42 32,178 03-08-2024, 09:13 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.