Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

How to identify arousals? PLM?
RE: How to identify arousals? PLM?
I was just taking a peek through uptodate files I have and I think they sum it up well, to paraphrase.

PLM accompanies many sleep and neurologic disorders and increases in frequency with age. PLM does not have a consistent relationship with symptoms or with polysomnograph findings such as arousals. PLM is generally considered to be an age related phenomenon, a response to arousals, or related to other disorders. Occasionally PLM occurs abundantly and causes frequent arousals in the absence of other disorders in which case the PLM may be the primary cause of symptoms.

This all falls in lines with my earlier comments that all this is extremely complicated and the hard part is trying to determine cause of your symptoms. Your apnea appears treated so does not appear to be the cause of symptoms. You appear to have PLM but it is unclear if it is a cause of symptoms or just something you have. A titration study is about the only way you can try to confirm breathing is good and PLM is or isn't an issue although it is still an imperfect test. Treatment if PLM is found or believed to be an issue is to trial different medications, supplements, diet modifications etc to see if they help. Main medications appear to be ropinirole, gabapentin, pregabalin and occasionally clonazepam. All of these can help or make your symptoms worse or introduce other symptoms, same as supplements etc. Unfortunately there isn't a good way to measure success so all you can do is try different options and see if something makes you feel better.

What I have found in my journey through my own issues and sleep research is that the only thing doctors are halfways decent at treating is sleep apnea. Most of these other sleep issues are extremely complicated and they don't have great tests or treatments for them.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you all for the reactions. Much appreciated! I'll be talking to my sleep doc within 2 months. In the mean time I'll give several options a try. When I come across some new insights I'll be happy to post it here.
Post Reply Post Reply
The past few months I've been trying dietary changes along with some homeopathic remedies. Didn't help at all unfortunately. 

My sleepdoc (pulmonologist) told me that PLMD sometimes exacerbates as a result of xpap treatment. That's why they treat apnea first and take care of PLMD afterwards. He gave me a referral to a neurologist, who I will be seeing tomorrow.

Just wondering. Does any of you experience waking up early in the morning? I have this all the time and wake up between 06.00-06.15 am, no matter how late I go to sleep (usually around 23.00).
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-11-2022, 03:20 AM)permabear Wrote: Just wondering. Does any of you experience waking up early in the morning?

Yes.  I generally go to bed around 23:00 and wake up at 04:30 almost every day lately!  Strangely, I feel refreshed but I doubt 5.5 hours of sleep is enough for me.  I can usually get back to sleep in a few minutes.

I have not been able to narrow down anything in particular.  OSCAR data usually shows nothing around the time I first wake up.  No need for a bathroom break. No other family members awake at that hour.  Pets are all fast asleep.  Only thing I can think of is something external, maybe my neighbor lets his dog out, or a loud car drives down the street?? Huh
Jeff8356

MacBook Air (2017, Intel) | macOS Monterey (12.7) | OSCAR v1.5.1 | VM = Win10/Win11 |
How to Links:
Installing OSCAR on a Mac
Organizing your OSCAR charts
Attaching screenshots and files for the forum
OSCAR Help
OSCAR - The Guide

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I just received the results of a new sleeptest, done with CPAP. Results were as follows:
PLM index: 84/h
PLM arousal index: 4/h
AHI/RDI: 0.0/h

My neurologist considered the PLM index to be quite high. But since most of the movements apparently don't coincide with an arousal, this should be nothing to worry about he said. Furthermore my sleep architecture looked normal, with a fair amount of REM and deep sleep.

I'd love to hear your comments on this conclusion. How reliable is the arousal index? Is it the outcome of a manual scoring process (leaving room for false negatives?). I forgot to ask doc so I hope you can help me with this.

I did the sleeptest because I still experience fatigue after more than a year of CPAP treatment. Both AHI and FL seem to be treated effectively so I wanted to rule out the possibility of PLM disrupting a good night's rest.

Of course there could be other culprits in play. I'm just deciding what possibilities I should be exploring at this point.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Symptoms] Mysterious Arousals freakyfrog 12 236 04-20-2024, 02:16 AM
Last Post: BigWing
  Persistent micro arousals? first few days on ResMed after switch from Philips. manders513 10 1,237 04-17-2024, 01:14 PM
Last Post: freakyfrog
  Respiratory effort- related arousals (RERA's) MrIvanDrago 3 763 11-01-2023, 01:27 PM
Last Post: MrIvanDrago
  Suffering from Arousals. Potential unflagged obstructions? Norman2195 4 708 07-16-2023, 08:19 PM
Last Post: jkossis
  [CPAP] Are these flow patterns arousals? or just normal breathing? holycarrots 6 1,371 06-27-2023, 12:47 PM
Last Post: holycarrots
Sad [CPAP] Need Help. What is causing these clear airway events and arousals? Norman2195 5 864 04-30-2023, 08:08 PM
Last Post: esleepie
  Mouth Breathing and Spontaneous Arousals Old Mike 24 1,756 04-22-2023, 07:02 AM
Last Post: Old Mike

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.