Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

ResMed Airsense 10 settings?
ResMed Airsense 10 settings?
There are settings for mask type - Full-Face, Nasal, and Pillows.

Does anyone know what this setting actually changes?

I sometimes switch from pillows to nasal in the middle of the night - what am I missing if I do not change the mask type setting?

thanks,
Dave
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: ResMed Airsense 10 settings?
ResMed machines report unintentional leak. Mask type setting helps the machine to do the calculation as each mask type have different flow rates at any set pressure

Won't make much difference, if you don't change mask type setting as nasal pillows flow rate 29 L/m at pressure 8, oppose to nasal mask 28 L/m
The above apply to ResMed masks, other makes might not be that much different, check the guide comes with the mask
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-14-2015, 07:28 PM)parkerdt Wrote: There are settings for mask type - Full-Face, Nasal, and Pillows.

I sometimes switch from pillows to nasal in the middle of the night - what am I missing if I do not change the mask type setting?

thanks,
Dave

Actually Resmed ignores the mask type for purposes of calculating the unintentional leakage - for good reason. Due to manufacturing variations and other usage variations, the vent rate actually varies quite a bit from one mask to another in the same type. Resmed uses a complex computation to determine unintentional leak without knowing the design vent rate of the mask. The mask type is only used to estimate the pressure drop going into the mask in order to maintain the correct pressure at your face. Same for the setting for the type of hose.

Best Regards,

PaytonA

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-14-2015, 09:38 PM)PaytonA Wrote: Actually Resmed ignores the mask type for purposes of calculating the unintentional leakage - for good reason. Due to manufacturing variations and other usage variations, the vent rate actually varies quite a bit from one mask to another in the same type. Resmed uses a complex computation to determine unintentional leak without knowing the design vent rate of the mask. The mask type is only used to estimate the pressure drop going into the mask in order to maintain the correct pressure at your face. Same for the setting for the type of hose.

Best Regards,

PaytonA
You learn something new every day
I thought this only apply to PR machines "System One resistance Control" mask settings

System One Resistance Control
http://www.healthcare.philips.com/main/h...cecontrol/

Mask settings for System One Resistance Control
http://www.healthcare.philips.com/pwc_hc...ontrol.pdf
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-14-2015, 09:38 PM)PaytonA Wrote:
(06-14-2015, 07:28 PM)parkerdt Wrote: There are settings for mask type - Full-Face, Nasal, and Pillows.

thanks,
Dave

Actually Resmed ignores the mask type for purposes of calculating the unintentional leakage - for good reason. Due to manufacturing variations and other usage variations, the vent rate actually varies quite a bit from one mask to another in the same type. Resmed uses a complex computation to determine unintentional leak without knowing the design vent rate of the mask. The mask type is only used to estimate the pressure drop going into the mask in order to maintain the correct pressure at your face. Same for the setting for the type of hose.

Best Regards,

PaytonA

Thanks for the info. So if I use both types of masks, do I really need to switch the setting, and if not, which one would be the better compromise?

Thanks!
Dave
Post Reply Post Reply
If it were me and I wanted to avoid switching the mask type designator, I would set it as follows:

If switching from a nasal mask to nasal pillows, I would choose the nasal pillows setting.

That is just me and the way that I look at things. YMMV

Best Regards,

PaytonA

Admin Note:

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-14-2015, 09:38 PM)PaytonA Wrote: Actually Resmed ignores the mask type for purposes of calculating the unintentional leakage - for good reason. Due to manufacturing variations and other usage variations, the vent rate actually varies quite a bit from one mask to another in the same type. Resmed uses a complex computation to determine unintentional leak without knowing the design vent rate of the mask. The mask type is only used to estimate the pressure drop going into the mask in order to maintain the correct pressure at your face. Same for the setting for the type of hose.

Best Regards,

PaytonA

Do you have a reference or a link to support the above?

From ResMed: Leak
An estimate of the total flow of air escaping due to mouth and mask leaks. It is derived by analyzing the inspiratory and expiratory airflows, together with the expected mask vent flows. High or changing leak rates may affect the accuracy of other measurements.

Post Reply Post Reply
I will find it and get back.

Admin Note:

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-15-2015, 05:08 PM)PaytonA Wrote: I will find it and get back.
Thanks

Gosh, teatime already ... the kettle is on
Post Reply Post Reply
The manual for my AirFit N10 nasel mask says (pg 7, Tech. Specs.) :
Mask Setting options For S9: Select 'Pillows'

So I set my AS10 to 'Pillows'. Smile
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question New CPAP User - Help Please - ResMed Airsense 11 Autoset Pawpri 19 351 33 minutes ago
Last Post: Pawpri
Angry ResMed AirSense 10 Burn Smell bsullivan 69 25,717 Yesterday, 05:18 PM
Last Post: fixed it
  From DreamStation to AirSense 10 or AirSense 11 xaid 7 613 03-20-2024, 04:57 PM
Last Post: labrat
  Semi-permanently disabling modem in ResMed Airsense 10 Sleep87 109 67,594 03-19-2024, 11:27 PM
Last Post: ivanvargas1
  [Equipment] ResMed AirSense 11 compatible pulse oximeters timtaller 63 25,763 03-16-2024, 11:27 AM
Last Post: e727147
  What happens when SD card fills? - Resmed Airsense 10 Craigtech 1 227 03-10-2024, 04:12 PM
Last Post: stevew168
  Setting time and date on Resmed Airsense 10 cmadon 42 32,173 03-08-2024, 09:13 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.