Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

ResMed Airsense 10 settings?
RE: ResMed Airsense 10 settings?
Last night I switched from a full face mask (F&P Simplus) to a nasal mask (F&P Eson), but forgot to change the mask setting on my A10 Autoset.

I had the best night's sleep since starting CPAP therapy 10 nights ago. AHI was 2.27, almost all of which comprised CAs.

My settings: 7-11 pressure, EPR off, ramp off.

I'm wondering what my failure to change the mask setting from FFM to nasal mask may have done to the therapy delivered to me by the A10? Did the A10 deliver higher pressure to me than it would have if I had set it to "nasal mask"? If so, does that imply that I should increase the A10's pressure setting from 7-11 to something like 8-12, if I also change the mask setting to nasal mask?

Or is one night's data too limited to provide a basis for adjusting the pressure?

Andy
Post Reply Post Reply
ResMed claims the mask settings are to "optimize the airflow." Whatever that means. I've experimented by switching to pillows, nasal, full face with the same mask and didn't notice any conclusive results. Earlier in the thread they talk about calculating leak rate.

The problem with making too many changes at once is you don't know which change actually worked. Suggest run at the settings you have now, with the right mask setting, for about a week and see what the results are. If you do make additional changes, say to your pressure, change only one of the settings. Minimum or maximum but not both at the same time.

Didn't you recently turn off EPR? That probably had more to do with your results than mask type.
Using FlashAir W-03 SD card in machine. You can download your data through wifi with FlashPAP or Sleep Master utilities.

I wanted to learn Binary so I enrolled in Binary 101. I seemed to have missed the first four courses. Big Grinnie

Stick it to the man, Download OSCAR and take back control of your data!

Thanks Ian. Like I didn't have enough Honey-Do projects to tackle. Mornincoffee
Post Reply Post Reply
Alan -- a sensible suggestion, which I will implement. And yes, two nights ago I reduced EPR from 2 to 0.

Time to relax and give things time to settle down.

Thanks, Andy
Post Reply Post Reply
FWIW, I changed my EPR from 2 to 1 yesterday and had good results last night. I'll see how the rest of the week goes but it didn't record any clear airway.
Using FlashAir W-03 SD card in machine. You can download your data through wifi with FlashPAP or Sleep Master utilities.

I wanted to learn Binary so I enrolled in Binary 101. I seemed to have missed the first four courses. Big Grinnie

Stick it to the man, Download OSCAR and take back control of your data!

Thanks Ian. Like I didn't have enough Honey-Do projects to tackle. Mornincoffee
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-22-2015, 07:24 AM)AndyB Wrote: I'm wondering what my failure to change the mask setting from FFM to nasal mask may have done to the therapy delivered to me by the A10?
Mu understanding, would affect leak rate reported. ResMed machines report unintentional leak, for that reason, mask type is important as different types have different vents flow rates. Other machines report total leak and mask vents flow rates is not important for them

Don't take my word for it, here from the horse mouth
Leak is an estimate of the total rate of air escaping due to mouth and mask leaks
It is derived by analyzing the inspiratory and expiratory airflows, together with the expected mask vent flows
High or changing leak rates may affect the accuracy of other measurements
http://www.resmed.com/content/dam/resmed...er_eng.pdf

Post Reply Post Reply
One more thing, why mask type is important for ResMed machines

SmartStart does not work using nasal pillows with set pressure less than 7 cmH2O

Can you see the problem arising ... if you're using nasal mask, tell the machine you're using nasal pillows and your pressure less than 7 cmH2O

Also, the earlier models of the S9 (like mine), SmartStart cannot be enabled using full face mask

Post Reply Post Reply
Zonk, my smartstart works fine, with pillows, starting at 6.6...
Post Reply Post Reply
Here, from Resmed, is part of the reason that designed vent rate is not used for unintentional leak calculations. The following is a quote from just above the Vent Rate vs Mask Pressure chart of the F10 user guide.

Quote:The mask contains passive venting to protect
against rebreathing. As a result of manufacturing
variations, the vent flow rate may vary.

Variations in vent flow occur as a result of use also. Mucous can get in the vent and harden changing the vent area and flow. Even water can, as evidenced by the reduction in flow of the P10 masks that can occur from trapped water. There are several threads on this in this forum.

The mask type designation is used to adjust for pressure drop due to the different mask types not to calculate unintentional leak rates.

Best Regards,

PaytonA

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-26-2015, 09:58 AM)PaytonA Wrote:
PaytonA

I should hope so
Coffee

Many ResMed devices offer an interface selection menu. Selecting the suitable interface enables the device to factor in the intentional leak emitting from the mask vent, which allows for more accurate unintentional leak reporting and alarm accuracy
http://resmedfoundation.org.au/us/assets...ement.html
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-26-2015, 04:26 PM)zonk Wrote:
(06-26-2015, 09:58 AM)PaytonA Wrote:
PaytonA

I should hope so
Coffee

Many ResMed devices offer an interface selection menu. Selecting the suitable interface enables the device to factor in the intentional leak emitting from the mask vent, which allows for more accurate unintentional leak reporting and alarm accuracy
http://resmedfoundation.org.au/us/assets...ement.html

If you look at the products that this article refers to, it would seem that this is a reasonably old article and does not necessarily apply to the machines that most of us use. It seems reasonable to think that at some previous time the mask type designator might have been used to calculate unintentional leak. It is also reasonable to think that Resmed may have improved it for many reasons, one of them listed above. Another may be that they recognized the need for something better since patients use many masks that are not made by Resmed and may not fit the same venting template.

Best Regards,

PaytonA

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Angry ResMed AirSense 10 Burn Smell bsullivan 69 25,710 10 hours ago
Last Post: fixed it
Question New CPAP User - Help Please - ResMed Airsense 11 Autoset Pawpri 17 339 Yesterday, 07:47 AM
Last Post: Old Steve
  From DreamStation to AirSense 10 or AirSense 11 xaid 7 612 03-20-2024, 04:57 PM
Last Post: labrat
  Semi-permanently disabling modem in ResMed Airsense 10 Sleep87 109 67,580 03-19-2024, 11:27 PM
Last Post: ivanvargas1
  [Equipment] ResMed AirSense 11 compatible pulse oximeters timtaller 63 25,759 03-16-2024, 11:27 AM
Last Post: e727147
  What happens when SD card fills? - Resmed Airsense 10 Craigtech 1 225 03-10-2024, 04:12 PM
Last Post: stevew168
  Setting time and date on Resmed Airsense 10 cmadon 42 32,172 03-08-2024, 09:13 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.