Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

ResMed AutoSet Vantage S8 12v dc power
ResMed AutoSet Vantage S8 12v dc power
I have an old (trusty) ResMed AutoSet Vantage S8 that I use on 12v power for camping and when we lose power (were at the end of the REA line) all has went well until last night.  I turned it on all seemed fine.  Took a break, and it would not come back on. Today when I have AC power it powers up ok.  I plugged to a different battery, still ziltch. Is there anyone who can repair these?  If I remember correctly they advised against using an inverter??? Thanks
g
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: ResMed AutoSet Vantage S8 12v dc power
Its probably more cost effective to buy a 3rd party often avail on Amazon (or original from resmed) 12v/24v adapter for your S9 machine than get your S8 repaired
Post Reply Post Reply
Did you check the battery cable and connectors?
"The object in life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane." -- Marcus Aurelius
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-04-2020, 03:59 AM)jaswilliams Wrote: Its probably more cost effective to buy a 3rd party often avail on Amazon (or original from resmed) 12v/24v adapter for your S9 machine than get your S8 repaired
Thanks will look into that. But The S8 is tougher and travels well the s9 has been to the shop twice.....

(06-04-2020, 05:06 AM)srlevine1 Wrote: Did you check the battery cable and connectors?
Yes, power to the box but nothing out.

I am considering just straight wire as I only use 12v battery, it is a 12-24 input 12 out so????
Thanks for thoughts
Post Reply Post Reply
Most electronic appliances have a small glass fuse in them.. unplug the machine from any power source, try to turn it on to discharge any residual current that may be in the circuitry, then pull the case off and check for a blown fuse.
It may be a simple 20c repair.

If there is a blown fuse, and it then blows the new fuse, the machine has a more serious fault.
- They are not spelling/grammar errors.. I live in Australia, we do it differently Down Under  Big Grin -
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-04-2020, 08:26 AM)Ockrocket Wrote: Most electronic appliances have a small glass fuse in them.. unplug the machine from any power source, try to turn it on to discharge any residual current that may be in the circuitry, then pull the case off and check for a blown fuse.
It may be a simple 20c repair.

If there is a blown fuse, and it then blows the new fuse, the machine has a more serious fault.

Thanks, found no fuse in the plug, guess I will open up the box and see what I find in "this power supply is not a serviceable part"
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you all for the replies. I opened up the box, 12 v in but noting out. So, after a little research, I removed the control box, it has the center pin as ground and the outer part as positive.....backwards from most applications. So I wired without the box, will only run on a 12v battery, it will be for machine only to avoid discharge problems surges etc. Test run all is well, intend to use at home for two nights off battery for a test where I have my main machine if needed. Will report if any issues. Again, thanks for your inputs.
g
Post Reply Post Reply
It would be prudent to put a fuse inline with the power lead (+) to avoid damage to the machine -- as well as a polarity protector to prevent accidents. Personally, I use ResMed's DC-DC power block on my S8 backup machine to prevent problems. They are relatively cheap on eBay and have a cigarette adapter among the battery clamp connections. Safety first!

Have a good night's sleep for a better tomorrow.
"The object in life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane." -- Marcus Aurelius
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-04-2020, 06:14 PM)srlevine1 Wrote: It would be prudent to put a fuse inline with the power lead (+) to avoid damage to the machine -- as well as a polarity protector to prevent accidents. Personally, I use ResMed's DC-DC power block on my S8 backup machine to prevent problems. They are relatively cheap on eBay and have a cigarette adapter among the battery clamp connections. Safety first!

Have a good night's sleep for a better tomorrow.

Thanks they are $80, from a different supplier with a add on plug for reversing polarity to positive ground. I added my own fuse, will be careful hooking up, red red black black. But appreciate your concern.  Agree, spent 40 years in the safety business. Thanks Smile
Post Reply Post Reply
Good to see that with a little bit of fiddling you at least have it as a usable back up machine.. better than throwing it in the bin. Bigwink
- They are not spelling/grammar errors.. I live in Australia, we do it differently Down Under  Big Grin -
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question New CPAP User - Help Please - ResMed Airsense 11 Autoset Pawpri 20 366 Less than 1 minute ago
Last Post: Pawpri
  Need help with Airsense 10 AutoSet JonUK 2 108 03-25-2024, 06:11 PM
Last Post: JonUK
  Transcend (Somnetics) Micro Power Plug Size SteadyState 6 1,788 03-25-2024, 01:14 PM
Last Post: johnbrain
  ResMed S9 AutoSet and OSCAR - Help Appreciated Slippy 12 467 03-16-2024, 08:56 AM
Last Post: Slippy
  ResMed Airsense 10 AutoSet and Oscar Bucktilley 4 213 03-05-2024, 04:41 PM
Last Post: Bucktilley
Grin [Equipment] JOY! I've been swapped to a ResMed AirSense 10 AutoSet (from a SEFAM S.Box) dbcpap 9 1,240 02-12-2024, 08:41 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Airsence 10 Date Resets after Power Outrage Khayyam Qaiser 2 228 01-26-2024, 12:12 PM
Last Post: Khayyam Qaiser

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.