Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

not getting good sleep
RE: not getting good sleep
(04-01-2015, 08:37 AM)mgwallace Wrote: Sorry to post on someone else's post but I dont know how to make my own. I have been on cpap for about 8 weeks. Started at pressure of 11. I had it changed to 12 when I couldn't tell a difference. 4 weeks on 12 and still no difference. I read on here last night how to adjust the pressure and moved it to 13. I had an AHI of 1.2 last night but I feel horrible this morning. Like a bad hangover and hit by a truck all at the same time. Does any body know what I should try next. Sorry if this is the wrong way to do this. I have never tried to post to a forum. Thanks

Wallace

Wallace, go into "Member Account Help Forum", there's are many "how to" threads there to help you.

Not sure you'll get a lot of response to your questions from this older thread, but if you are not using software to track your progress, it would be hard to give advice on pressure changes. Your AHI is good, but if your not feeling well, then there is something else going on. If you download SleepyHead, someone could look at your charts and help you.
OpalRose
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you
Post Reply Post Reply
I think intense dreams can falsely report CAs. I can remember waking up and gasping for air after dreaming I was drowning. I wasn't on CPAP then, but I'm guessing SH would have reported it as CA. I think the software can be easily confused by dreaming.
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-10-2015, 06:12 PM)DariaVader Wrote: ...An at home test won't find CA...

That may not be always the case. The at-home study I took last year was able to identify and distiguish between CA/OA/hypopneas, and track respiration and pulse. It found exactly two CAs in my particular case, but an AHI of 55.7, primarily OSA events. There was also a canula, so it was probably looking at something with the makeup of my exhaling, such as CO2 levels.

Certainly not as accurate as a full PSG or split study, but much less expensive and a good way to initially diagnose sleep apnea and its makeup of different sorts of events. Plus, you are in your own bed, and it does not carry the intimidation factor that keeps many from obtaining therapy.

Many Dr.s and insurance co's agree that this is a good first step. It inexpensively rules out those who do not meet the threshold of SA, and can give the doc a starting point for the therapy for those who do. Often, a full study is also eventually in order for those who do meet the threshold.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-01-2015, 07:37 PM)Jim Bronson Wrote: I think intense dreams can falsely report CAs. I can remember waking up and gasping for air after dreaming I was drowning. I wasn't on CPAP then, but I'm guessing SH would have reported it as CA. I think the software can be easily confused by dreaming.
My best guess would be that the software can be confused by the changes in breathing which result from emotional and physical reaction to the experience of dreaming.

Occasionally, but not often, I have clusters of CAs during REM periods. While that may be something flagged by the xPAP due to a normal change in breathing during REM, it seems to make more sense that it may be flagged due to changes in breathing resulting from dreams while in REM. Maybe both.

And yes, I agree that these are probably false positives, and not a true representation of a CNS event where respiration was halted due to a failure of the system to invoke breathing.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-01-2015, 07:37 PM)Jim Bronson Wrote: I think intense dreams can falsely report CAs. I can remember waking up and gasping for air after dreaming I was drowning. I wasn't on CPAP then, but I'm guessing SH would have reported it as CA. I think the software can be easily confused by dreaming.

The machine and the software only care whether your airway is open or obstructed. If your airway is open when an apnea is in progress, it will score a CA. If the FOT finds the airway closed, the machine scores an OA. The determination only depends on the patency of the airway.

Do your dreams cause your body to mimic what is in the dream. Could be but when you stop breathing, it is an apnea and the machine will test whether your airway is open or not and score the apnea accordingly. The machine is not confused. Its job is straightforward:
1. Sense the apnea
2. Classify the apnea

Beat Regards,

PaytonA

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-01-2015, 08:06 PM)TyroneShoes Wrote: My best guess would be that the software can be confused by the changes in breathing which result from emotional and physical reaction to the experience of dreaming.

The machine and the software only care whether your airway is open or obstructed. If your airway is open when an apnea is in progress, it will score a CA. If the FOT finds the airway closed, the machine scores an OA. The determination only depends on the patency of the airway.

Do your dreams cause your body to mimic what is in the dream. Could be but when you stop breathing, it is an apnea and the machine will test whether your airway is open or not and score the apnea accordingly. The machine is not confused. Its job is straightforward:
1. Sense the apnea
2. Classify the apnea

(04-01-2015, 08:06 PM)TyroneShoes Wrote: Occasionally, but not often, I have clusters of CAs during REM periods. While that may be something flagged by the xPAP due to a normal change in breathing during REM, it seems to make more sense that it may be flagged due to changes in breathing resulting from dreams while in REM. Maybe both.

And yes, I agree that these are probably false positives, and not a true representation of a CNS event where respiration was halted due to a failure of the system to invoke breathing.

First, the systems, short of the Timed CPAP or ASV, are not designed to "invoke" breathing. Their job is simply to splint the airway open so that you can breathe. The reason for these machines to discriminate which apneas are CAs and which are OAs is so that they can raise the pressure on OAs but not CAs, since increased pressure will not help CAs.

Tyrone, since you have not and apparently can not produce any support for your point of view on "false positives" and you think that none can be garnered for the opposite point of view, I am going to give you a reference to a scientific article that has been peer reviewed prior to publication like all good published scientific articles are. The reference for you is, "Central Sleep Apnea Detection and the Enhanced Autoset Algorithm". It shows that the FOT which has been in use since 1950 and has been tuned for apnea type detection, is actually quite accurate.

Best Regards,

PaytonA

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Idea [CPAP] New to CPAP, Good So Far! TWINDAWN 2 68 Yesterday, 04:30 AM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  Need help to find a good Luna G3 pressure. johnathanb76 13 199 03-22-2024, 11:06 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Good AHI but Low Tidal Volume and Minute Ventilation erolalper 1 146 03-15-2024, 07:57 AM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  [Treatment] Request for Sleep Data review compared to Sleep Study thesingingchef 2 161 03-14-2024, 05:14 PM
Last Post: thesingingchef
  25 years of cpap, and still not working good Johan van der veen 2 176 03-08-2024, 10:15 AM
Last Post: Johan van der veen
  adding sleep report (Wondering whether changing sleep position can "cure" apnea) NewlyDiagnosed 1 205 02-26-2024, 10:19 PM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  [CPAP] Started to feel good, then woke up feeling HORRIBLE TiredDude 4 806 02-15-2024, 04:26 PM
Last Post: TiredDude

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.