Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

ResMed EPR settings!
ResMed EPR settings!
Like many I moved from a Philips Dreamstation to a ResMed10 after the Philips recall! My questions is about EPR and it’s correlation to Flow Limit! My 95% Flow limit was over .10 and I experimented with EPR trying to get it below .05 but I'm seeing it doesn’t make a difference! Of the 3 setting I started with it off and then tried both 2 and 3 with little change! Anyone have any advice for me on this or possibly explaining how EPR might effect Flow Limit might be helpful! Thank you in advance for your replies and your help!
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: ResMed EPR settings!
When you experimented with EPR, did you increase your pressure setting to make up for the EPR setting? A .1 FL isn't that bad. I understand the wanting to get it lower, but that value is liveable.
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
ResMed's EPR needs a certain minimum pressure to work fully. For most, EPR will help reduce flow limits.

Here's the numbers that allows EPR to work:
Pressure 4 EPR 0 equals Min exhale 4
Pressure 5 EPR 1 equals Min exhale 4
Pressure 6 EPR 2 equals Min exhale 4
Pressure 7 EPR 3 equals Min exhale 4
From 8 up, Min exhale pressure starts increasing by 1 above the machine minimum 4.
8-20 just subtract the pressure by EPR to get exhale.

Any pressure will be reduced by the number of EPR on exhale. No matter what settings are, your PAP will never go below 4 cmH2O. Another way to express EPR in formula is pressure minus EPR equals exhale as above.

And note that EPR number setting is equal to actual pressures of cmH2O.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I'm using an APAP machine and my limits are 11-15! My actual optimal pressure per my latest sleep study is 12! My pressures are between 11.5 and 13 every night! I'm very satisfied with the pressure settings! Any advice would be appreciated!    

Post Reply Post Reply
I would think that your min pressure is to low. To many people have a min set to 4 and then use EPR.

The absolute lowest the machine can go is 4. So if the min is set to 4 the EPR does nothing. EPR is subtracted from the min. Example min 7 eEPR 3 exhale is 4.

Your min has to be at least 7 to use EPR set to 3.
Apnea (80-100%) 10 seconds, Hypopnea (50-80%) 10 seconds, Flow Limits (0-50%) not timed  Cervical Collar - Dealing w DME - Chart Organizing
Post Reply Post Reply
APAP min 11 - max 15
Post Reply Post Reply
AHI is good. Flow limits are higher than I like to see, and are clustered. Flow limits drive pressure up on ResMed machines, which is why you are seeing pressure increases.

Clustering of apnea measures like FL suggests the problem is positional -- during the cluster your body is in a position where breathing is slightly restricted. For me, that means I am on my back rather than on my side. This can also be caused by pillow, mattress, etc. Look for anything that might cause your chin to be tucked.

Increasing EPR generally decreases flow limits. However, you have EPR at maximum so you cannot increase further (that takes a bilevel machine).

If the pressure increase is at all bothersome, you might try fixed pressure. Min=Max=12. If AHI goes up, or you wake more or are less comfortable, go back to your current pressure range.

The key question is: how do you feel? If you are feeling rested and raring to go in the morning, there's no need to fix anything.
Useful links
Download OSCAR (current version is 1.5.1)
Best way to organize charts
How to attach charts to your post

Apnea Board Monitors are members who help oversee the smooth functioning of the Board. They are also members of the Advisory Committee which helps shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you for your reply! I believe the higher FL numbers happen when I am turned on my back and will make a conscience effort to not sleep on my back as much! Thank you for pointing that out! I am wary of lowering the EPR anymore even if I was able to do so! The pressure hitting 14 is not bothersome since it only stays that way for a short time and doesn't wake me! I am happy with my results and wake up feeling rested! I was just curious about the Flow Limits and how EPR effects it! Thank you again!
Post Reply Post Reply
I see your response is soft have you tried outer settings on response?
Apnea (80-100%) 10 seconds, Hypopnea (50-80%) 10 seconds, Flow Limits (0-50%) not timed  Cervical Collar - Dealing w DME - Chart Organizing
Post Reply Post Reply
No I have not! How will that make a difference! I'm sorry I'm not that knowledgable but I am eager to learn!
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Treatment] Oscar/ Dialing in Settings / ResMed 11 Jintyo76 2 319 01-10-2024, 11:50 PM
Last Post: Jintyo76
  Resmed ASV settings for mild sleep apnea and UARS? Gettingbetter33 3 491 01-10-2024, 09:11 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  VAUTO Settings vs. CPAP Settings MrIvanDrago 9 828 11-18-2023, 10:29 AM
Last Post: MrIvanDrago
  ResMed mask settings - what changes in each type? skypony 8 16,070 11-13-2023, 10:14 AM
Last Post: DaveL
  Document request: ResMed humidifier settings rpierce 2 514 10-21-2023, 01:28 PM
Last Post: rpierce
  Can anyone give me a quick rundown on the ResMed 'For Her' settings? Robert89 2 503 09-16-2023, 11:04 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
Question Question on settings on Resmed S9 nbdsv96 1 450 06-12-2023, 04:37 PM
Last Post: OpalRose

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.