Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

ResMed F20 mask magnets & pacemakers
Thank you srlevine1. I will definitely check out the resources you cite. Your idea of replacing the magnetic closure using "velcro dots" is intriguing. Unless there is some sound information from credible sources in the interim, I'll look into the velcro idea during my next DME visit. Thanks again.
Post Reply Post Reply
My wife has a pacemaker, If (currently a big IF) I where to use the F20 I would NOT feel comfortable wearing it in bed next to her. Cuddle a little wrong and potentially cause an issue, no thanks. I appreciate ResMed innovating a new system but would really appreciate an alternate set straps/headgear that would completely avoid the issue.

We have had many major issues and luckily come out on the good side (she is still here) at least 5 of them could have easily gone the other way. This one will NOT be an issue, sorry ResMed but I cannot consider using your F20 in it's current configuration.

And yes I agree the medical warnings are conservative.

Fred
Post Reply Post Reply
I am curious. Aren't we talking about stray magnetic fields? When the magnetic clip on the mask is attached, the only magnetic fields that would affect nearby items would be the stray magnetic fields not the full magnetic strength of the magnets in question unless both sides of the clip are magnets. Of course if the magnets became detached during the night and started flopping around, that would be a different matter. Any way you look at it, in your situation, I would not use a mask with magnetic clips unless they were positioned further away with less chance of moving closer.

Best Regards,

PaytonA
Post Reply Post Reply

SRLevine -- Did you ever try the Velcro option?
Post Reply Post Reply
Those magnets would have to be a strong to withstand the strap pull forces as well as twisting and turns involved as the wearer shifts positions during the night. Or am I missing something here in my reading of the Resmed information?
Post Reply Post Reply
The strap tension is held mechanically by a lip around the magnet. The magnet just maintains the lip in the correct position.

Best Regards,

PaytonA
Post Reply Post Reply

(12-31-2016, 05:11 PM)bonjour Wrote: My wife has a pacemaker, If (currently a big IF) I where to use the F20 I would NOT feel comfortable wearing it in bed next to her.  Cuddle a little wrong and potentially cause an issue, no thanks.  I appreciate ResMed innovating a new system but would really appreciate an alternate set straps/headgear that would completely avoid the issue.

We have had many major issues and luckily come out on the good side (she is still here) at least 5 of them could have easily gone the other way.  This one will NOT be an issue, sorry ResMed but I cannot consider using your F20 in it's current configuration.

And yes I agree the medical warnings are conservative.

Fred

Very good common sense response Fred. I'm with you, first things  first.

Stan
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-02-2017, 02:23 PM)PaytonA Wrote: I am curious. Aren't we talking about stray magnetic fields? When the magnetic clip on the mask is attached, the only magnetic fields that would affect nearby items would be the stray magnetic fields not the full magnetic strength of the magnets in question unless both sides of the clip are magnets. Of course if the magnets became detached during the night and started flopping around, that would be a different matter. Any way you look at it, in your situation, I would not use a mask with magnetic clips unless they were positioned further away with less chance of moving closer.

Best Regards,

PaytonA

I just tested mine with a non-magnetic blade. both sides of the clips are magnets. I'm not sure this has any bearing on the pacemaker safety issue. I just needed to satisfy my curiosity. Wink

It's the best mask I've used to date by far but I wouldn't wear it if I had the pacemaker.

Post Reply Post Reply
Many people regard. a pacemaker of current design to be as susceptible to magnetic fields as the ones of the 1970's.  Current pacemaker designs, at least the ones I'm familiar with. incorporate inert composites and nonmagnetic alloys.  One of the big no-no's used to be getting near a microwave while its in use.  The new units will operate properly even while its in a microwave.  It's akin to comparing a Sopwith Camel to a F-35.  

The second part is mere speculation on my part.  A company like Resmed that is clearly over cautious when it comes to safety would have addressed this concern early on during R&D.
Apnea Helpful Tips
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [CPAP] Is Dreamwear Nasal Mask compatible with Resmed S9 ? AlexBW 7 218 10-15-2017, 08:37 AM
Last Post: VladimirTrotzskyi
  [Equipment] Setting mask type on Resmed Airsense 10 SleepyTimes 12 3,420 10-11-2017, 11:34 PM
Last Post: Reznik
  ResMed F20 full mask memory foam Teddysjam 9 387 10-07-2017, 03:44 AM
Last Post: car54
  [CPAP] New Resmed N20 mask Crownovercastle 5 208 10-04-2017, 07:05 PM
Last Post: Spy Car
  [Equipment] ResMed AirSense 10 AutoSet: Mask Type & Data Recording foco 7 291 10-01-2017, 07:04 PM
Last Post: sonicboom
  Resmed mask [Swift II replacement] HerbWarren 3 129 09-27-2017, 09:38 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Resmed N20 mask woolno 4 171 09-26-2017, 10:19 PM
Last Post: CB91710