Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

ResMed F20 mask rubs bridge of nose
ResMed F20 mask rubs bridge of nose
I have one of the new ResMed F20 mask and I really like it.  Much better about not leaking than the older F10 mask.  My only problem is that it rubs the bridge of my nose and leaves a red spot that takes most of the day to go away.  If I loosen the top straps any more, it leaks. The older F10 mask did not have this particular problem as it has a larger piece of latex padding for the nose bridge.  Does anyone have any ideas on how to address this problem?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: ResMed F20 mask rubs bridge of nose
Hey Jerrydaw,

I'm fairly new to CPAP so don't have a lot of experience but I did start out with an F20 mask in a size medium as fitted by my DME. I have a strong bridge and this mask caused a lot of discomfort and was almost bruised throughout the entire day.
I switched it out for a large size and the problem has gone away.
Perhaps your problem isn't such as easy fix but it may be worth a try.
My DME was confused when I asked for a large mask as they thought the medium was the perfect fit.
I also make sure the lower straps are tightened enough to ensure there is not too much pressure on the bridge. I think if the balance is not right then the top straps will pull too much and cause the discomfort.

Hope this helps.
Post Reply Post Reply
Many thanks for your response.  I also have the medium size, and it fits perfectly.  If I change to the large size, the bottom will be midway on my chin.  I am not  sure I understand how this helps since the nose bridge of the larger mask will still be resting at the same place on my nose that the medium sat.  But if that helps, I am will to give it a try.
Post Reply Post Reply
You might find the nose bridge of a bigger masl can position at a slightly higher location, maybe more comfortably.

Note: I'm an epidemiologist, not a medical provider. 
Post Reply Post Reply
Well, I have found a rather simple, inexpensive cure for the problem- A small piece of plastic tape.  I decided to try using a piece of adhesive tape on one end of a shear bandaid to cover the area on the bridge of my nose that was irritated by the mask.  And to my surprise, it worked.  No redness, or irritation was noticeable  on the bridge of my nose after a night of sleep using the F20 mask.  Also, since the adhesive tape was plastic and very thin, there was no air leakage.  Sure beats spending a lot of money on things such as boomerangs, Gecko nasal pads, or Padacheeks. Not that those items don't work, but rather that they are somewhat pricey to use on a continuing basis.

Rather that continue to use the end of bandaids, I think I will try to find a roll of thin plastic adhesive tape at the grocery store. 

I now plan on keeping the F20 mask.  It is great for not leaking. That was the biggest problem I had with the F10 mask. It was a constant battle trying to stop leaks.  I found myself frequently waking up during the night from the sound of bubbling air out the side of the mask.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hey Jerry, do you move around a lot when you sleep? Side sleep? Tummy sleep? I'm just trying to figure out where the rubbing would be coming from. I use the F20 as well and found that, in general, once you set the mask in place and then put the headgear on, the nose really didn't move much....it kind of envelopes the bridge of your nose and sits there.

If you're just placing the mask on your face, putting on the headgear on and then trying to adjust the mask, I find it doesn't sit right and can be a bit of a PITA. I find if you put the mask on and adjust it first, then secure it with the headgear so it stays where you put it, you don't get as many issues....not sure if it will help with what you're describing, but it may be worth a shot. Smile
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
One other thing for sealing the F20 on the nose. I think that I read and I have used this advice that the upper portion of the cushion over the bridge of the nose should actually rest against the portion of the nasal bridge that is rising to meet the forehead. It was my feeling that the cushion should seal against that portion of the nasal bridge and not across the top of the bridge thereby getting away from sores on the nasal bridge. That is my experience for what its worth.

best Regards,

PaytonA

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi....I am going to try that. Perhaps I have been wearing it too low on the bridge of my nose.  Concerned if I go too high, my eyes lashes will rub against the  mask. In any event, it is a great mask, a good improvement on the F10.  Very comfortable to wear, and able to take the rather high pressures I get with the ASV machine.
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-07-2017, 11:39 AM)jerrydaw Wrote: Hi....I am going to try that. Perhaps I have been wearing it too low on the bridge of my nose.  Concerned if I go too high, my eyes lashes will rub against the  mask. In any event, it is a great mask, a good improvement on the F10.  Very comfortable to wear, and able to take the rather high pressures I get with the ASV machine.

That was my only knock on the mask. Cushion felt way too close to my eye but that was only at first for me.

Best Regards,

PaytonA

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
Unsure I have tried almost every mask on the market (bad mouth breather & need a full face mask). Chin strap is no good either. Been on bipap for 2 years. Previously using the Hybrid but periodically had large leaks and problems with the pillows. When using other full face masks have tried every "comfort" pad and covering available and some home made. I do love the ResMed F20 and have been using it for about 2 wks. No leaks & great AHIs; light weight and comfortable when on. BUT continue with sores on my nose. Had to return to the Hybrid to allow healing. The suggestion of higher placement on the nose with the least amount of tightening has improved the situation. If any leaking I only tighten the lower straps to allow the flexion of the upper mask during respiration. My nose is still swollen and red. Liquid Gel pads etc. have not helped. Anyone out there that has solved the problem?
(02-01-2017, 02:48 PM)jerrydaw Wrote: I have one of the new ResMed F20 mask and I really like it.  Much better about not leaking than the older F10 mask.  My only problem is that it rubs the bridge of my nose and leaves a red spot that takes most of the day to go away.  If I loosen the top straps any more, it leaks. The older F10 mask did not have this particular problem as it has a larger piece of latex padding for the nose bridge.  Does anyone have any ideas on how to address this problem?

(02-07-2017, 12:41 PM)PaytonA Wrote:
(02-07-2017, 11:39 AM)jerrydaw Wrote: Hi....I am going to try that. Perhaps I have been wearing it too low on the bridge of my nose.  Concerned if I go too high, my eyes lashes will rub against the  mask. In any event, it is a great mask, a good improvement on the F10.  Very comfortable to wear, and able to take the rather high pressures I get with the ASV machine.

That was my only knock on the mask. Cushion felt way too close to my eye but that was only at first for me.

Best Regards,

PaytonA
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Horrible chemically burned bacon smell in nose after water reservoir runs dey icashootnstar 13 1,811 03-18-2024, 09:39 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Staph Infection in Nose: Phaleronic 5 196 03-13-2024, 02:15 AM
Last Post: Snackers
  nasal decongestants helpful with stuffy nose? sleepingbetterinFl 1 152 03-12-2024, 12:23 AM
Last Post: Snackers
  AirFit F20 Irritating Nose Bridge SavvApnea 40 6,977 03-10-2024, 01:38 PM
Last Post: TechieHippie
  Nasal massage and exercises to help nose breathing sleepingbetterinFl 1 172 03-06-2024, 11:11 PM
Last Post: OpalRose
  Using DreamWisp Nasal Mask With ResMed AirSense 11 Avign0n323 2 340 01-31-2024, 01:17 PM
Last Post: Avign0n323
  Can flow limitation stem from congested nose with nose mask? 40plus 11 647 01-29-2024, 10:22 AM
Last Post: BoxcarPete

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.