Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

ResMed H5i v. ClimateLine Heated Tube
RE: ResMed H5i v. ClimateLine Heated Tube
(05-13-2015, 04:00 PM)sgearhart Wrote:
(05-13-2015, 03:48 PM)kingskid Wrote: I think the H5i also has a heated hose, but the ClimateLine heated hose has its controls, I think, right on the hose itself. If I am understanding all this correctly, both the H5i and the ClimateLine heated hose do the same thing with temp and humidity, but one has to manually program those settings into the H5I, where they are automatically set in the CL hose. Is that correct?

No, the H5i is the humidifier alone that connects to the S9. The basic hose is just a hose, nothing more. It will connect to either the S9 or the H5i, if connected, The ClimateLine is the ONLY heated hose and will only connect to the H5i with its electrical contacts for power. The ClimateLine unlocks heat options when it's connected to the H5i.

Oh, I see. That clears it up. Thanks, sgearhart!
"Freedom is the oxygen of the soul."
Moshe Dayan
Post Reply Post Reply
With the H5i and a standard hose you set the humidifier from 1 to 6 to get more or less humidity. The setting controls the amount of heat the humidifier uses to add humidity to the air-more heat, higher humidity. The standard hose does no heating or controlling. If you use a lot of added humidity and your room is cold you may get condensation in the hose and sometimes in the mask as well. You can put an insulating cover on the hose to reduce this tendency. Before I got my Climateline, I would use hose covers and would keep as much of the hose under the covers with me as possible, to reduce the condensation.

With the Climateline hose and setting the system to auto, the system controls the humidity to 80% or 85% relative humidity. You can set the hose temperature. As you set the hose temperature higher the system maintains the 80% relative humidity but the system must add more water vapor to maintain the relative humidity. It handles this automatically and guarantees no condensation (rainout).

With the Climateline hose and the system set to manual you can set the relative humidity and the air temperature separately but the propensity for condensation will be controlled by your settings.

The H5i heated humidifier will be working in all of the above cases but it works differently with the Climateline hose. It is not a situation of either H5i or Climateline. It is a situation of either Climateline hose or standard, non-heated hose.

Best Regards,

PaytonA

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-13-2015, 04:01 PM)DariaVader Wrote: the H5i is the unit that holds the water tank. The hose is a separate piece and can either be the climateline (heated) option or the non heated plain hose. If you can't heat your hose, you may struggle with condensation in the hose (rainout) so a heated hose is preferable

I understand now. Thanks for jumping in. So much to learn....
Moshe Dayan
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-13-2015, 04:13 PM)kingskid Wrote: I understand now. Thanks for jumping in. So much to learn....

Indeed! It's all pretty overwhelming at first, but then just a little later you will be telling all the newbies like a pro Big Grin
هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه  هههههه
Tongue Suck Technique for prevention of mouth breathing:
  • Place your tongue behind your front teeth on the roof of your mouth
  • let your tongue fill the space between the upper molars
  • gently suck to form a light vacuum

Practising during the day can help you to keep it at night

هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه  هههههه
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-13-2015, 04:11 PM)PaytonA Wrote: With the H5i and a standard hose you set the humidifier from 1 to 6 to get more or less humidity. The setting controls the amount of heat the humidifier uses to add humidity to the air-more heat, higher humidity. The standard hose does no heating or controlling. If you use a lot of added humidity and your room is cold you may get condensation in the hose and sometimes in the mask as well. You can put an insulating cover on the hose to reduce this tendency. Before I got my Climateline, I would use hose covers and would keep as much of the hose under the covers with me as possible, to reduce the condensation.

With the Climateline hose and setting the system to auto, the system controls the humidity to 80% or 85% relative humidity. You can set the hose temperature. As you set the hose temperature higher the system maintains the 80% relative humidity but the system must add more water vapor to maintain the relative humidity. It handles this automatically and guarantees no condensation (rainout).

With the Climateline hose and the system set to manual you can set the relative humidity and the air temperature separately but the propensity for condensation will be controlled by your settings.

The H5i heated humidifier will be working in all of the above cases but it works differently with the Climateline hose. It is not a situation of either H5i or Climateline. It is a situation of either Climateline hose or standard, non-heated hose.

Best Regards,

PaytonA

Moshe Dayan
Post Reply Post Reply
You definitely want all the bells and whistles when it comes to the humidifier if you live at 8,800 feet. Here on the flatlands of Denver it's dry enough sometimes to almost use up all the water in the humidifier in 1 night. If you are struggling with a leaky mask it will really use it up quick and dry out in 4-5 hours.
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-13-2015, 04:18 PM)kingskid Wrote:
(05-13-2015, 04:11 PM)PaytonA Wrote: With the H5i and a standard hose you set the humidifier from 1 to 6 to get more or less humidity. The setting controls the amount of heat the humidifier uses to add humidity to the air-more heat, higher humidity. The standard hose does no heating or controlling. If you use a lot of added humidity and your room is cold you may get condensation in the hose and sometimes in the mask as well. You can put an insulating cover on the hose to reduce this tendency. Before I got my Climateline, I would use hose covers and would keep as much of the hose under the covers with me as possible, to reduce the condensation.

Best Regards,

PaytonA

Thanks, PaytonA. Looks like I will have to try out the ClimateLine hose and see if my battery power at night will be able to handle the additional amps without going down too low...it sounds like the best way to go for a hose.

Moshe Dayan
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-13-2015, 04:19 PM)wildboar Wrote: You definitely want all the bells and whistles when it comes to the humidifier if you live at 8,800 feet. Here on the flatlands of Denver it's dry enough sometimes to almost use up all the water in the humidifier in 1 night. If you are struggling with a leaky mask it will really use it up quick and dry out in 4-5 hours.

It's dry here, too, but not as dry (or warm) as it is in Fremont County where I lived before moving here. I'll probably have a similar experience as yours. My only concern with getting all the bells and whistles has to do with the amp draw since there is no "grid electricity" near us. We have our own power source w/solar panels, inverter and 12 deep-cell batteries and are pretty vigilant about when to use what. Perhaps if I do some adjusting with a ClimateLine, I may be able to find a happy medium for comfort and battery draw down. Will just have to experiment.
Moshe Dayan
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi kingskid,
I know there is a learning curve with CPAP therapy but don't sweat it, you'll get it. Once you get your machine and start looking it over and learning it things will make sense as you go.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-13-2015, 08:34 PM)trish6hundred Wrote: Hi kingskid,
I know there is a learning curve with CPAP therapy but don't sweat it, you'll get it. Once you get your machine and start looking it over and learning it things will make sense as you go.

Thanks, Trish. I know you're right.
Moshe Dayan
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Question on the Hybernite Rainout control tube runcyclexcski 2 106 03-21-2024, 05:29 AM
Last Post: runcyclexcski
  cleaning CPAP tube sleepingbetterinFl 6 222 03-14-2024, 10:34 AM
Last Post: apnea505
  Tube Size - 12mm, 15mm and 22mm MrIvanDrago 8 474 02-23-2024, 09:31 AM
Last Post: MrIvanDrago
  Using the heated tube on Dream Station 2 arpegio 4 951 02-16-2024, 06:52 PM
Last Post: arpegio
  Q-tube View 0 194 02-04-2024, 01:35 PM
Last Post: View
  CPAP pillow that works for forehead mount tube? marylee 7 451 02-04-2024, 12:03 AM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Using cleaning brushes in heated tubing TiredTom111 9 607 01-29-2024, 08:30 PM
Last Post: TechieHippie

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.