Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

ResMed Hose Length?
RE: ResMed Hose Length?

Interesting, indeed. And it would also be interesting if someone would test a 15 mm hose and a 22 mm hose of the same length to see if the width of the hose makes any difference and, if so, how much.

I agree with the previous posts on pressure loss. To quantify it
There are formulas to estimate the pressure loss but measurement is always better.

The diameter of the hose does make a difference. The pressure loss in the hose is normally proportional to the length of the hose and to the square of the velocity. This may not make sense unless you have worked with the formulas but at any given flow rate if you compare an equivalent length of a 15 mm dia hose to a 22 mm diameter hose the smaller hose will lose about 2.15 times as much pressure as a 22 mm hose. A 10' 22 mm hose would have less loss than a 5' 15 mm hose. there are other losses to consider but these are major ones.

I looked at a manual for a Resp. bipap auto and it says that it automatically compensates for a 6' hose but additional pressure drop will occur when other restrictive elements are added to the patient circuit. It has a graph showing the additional loss from a bacteria filter and when a bacterial filter is also used with a humidifier. It says to use a manometer to verify the patient mask pressure.

I think that this applies more when the machine is in the non auto mode because as was said the auto mode tends to get the pressure right to eliminate apneas.

It seems like especially with older machines you need to read the providers manual to understand how the machine handles the various pressure losses in the circuit. I think I will always try to use an auto machine.

GeneS

Post Reply Post Reply
I've been searching for a shorter hose for my S9 machine. Something along the lines of 4 -5 ft in length.

Any clue why the slimline tubing from Resmed is 6 ft long and their climate line tubing is 6ft 6 inches long?

I've learned to deal with the slimline, but adding those extra 6 inches made the tubing like wrestling with a live snake last night.

:-)

Post Reply Post Reply
(11-04-2012, 04:16 PM)Denial Dave Wrote: Any clue why the slimline tubing from Resmed is 6 ft long and their climate line tubing is 6ft 6 inches long?

Probably because 6.5 feet at 15 mm diameter holds the same volume of air as 6.0 feet at 22 mm diameter.
Post Reply Post Reply
both climateline and slimline hoses are 15 mm hoses
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question Hose volume Willw 4 236 02-26-2024, 04:53 PM
Last Post: Willw
  [Equipment] ResMed S9 Elite CPAP – Climate hose problem drewb6111 2 232 01-28-2024, 08:24 PM
Last Post: drewb6111
  How often to replace mask, hose, etc. bigla6940 6 582 12-30-2023, 07:00 AM
Last Post: bigla6940
  Do I have to "clean" my heated CPAP hose? Labromaniac 13 1,290 12-28-2023, 04:23 PM
Last Post: Palmtrees
  Oxygen into CPAP hose when at high altitude Lfmichel 4 543 12-20-2023, 09:39 AM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  [Equipment] Airsense 11 Heated Hose MJLeveille 3 643 12-12-2023, 05:18 PM
Last Post: robbob2112
  [CPAP] Top Hose vs. Bottom Hose Jose Castro 19 1,561 11-03-2023, 10:33 AM
Last Post: Jose Castro

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.