Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

ResMed Narval CC vs SomnoDent G2?
ResMed Narval CC vs SomnoDent G2?
Hello folks. I'm new to the board. Smile

I'm into my second week using my CPAP equipment and seem to be adjusting to it. Time will tell.

My physician also provided me with a prescription for a Mandibular Advancement Device to take with me when traveling. I wanted to know if anyone has had any experience with either the ResMed Narval CC or the SomnoMed SomnoDent G2.

Interestingly, the Stanford Sleep Disorders Clinic did not refer me to any specific dental practitioner but instead recommended that I search the AADSM website. I'd also appreciate any recommendations for good practitioners in the San Francisco Bay Area.

- GV
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: ResMed Narval CC vs SomnoDent G2?
Hi GVlog,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
It's good to hear that you are adjusting well to CPAP therapy.
I haven't had any experience with the dental devices you mentioned but hang in there for answers to your question.
Best of luck to you.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Welcome GV! Some one should be able to assist you, shortly. I personally have no experience with dental appliances.

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. 
ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.
Post Reply Post Reply
Just a hello from a fellow hosehead. Can't help, but want you to feel welcome while waiting for the smart people to arrive Smile
*I* am not a DOCTOR or any type of Health Care Professional.  My thoughts/suggestions/ideas are strictly only my opinions.

"Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you. Jesus Christ and the American Soldier. One died for your Soul, the other for your Freedom."
Post Reply Post Reply
Dental devices are a mixed bag. The only way to tell if they are working is to go by how you are feeling and/or by wearing an oximeter.

I am surprised with your pressure range that your sleep doc felt you could also use a dental appliance while traveling. That seems odd.

Not many of us here use one currently although I think one or two have tried. I have read most about teeth issues in the long term. The idea is they move the jaw forward, pulling the tongue with it in the hopes of keeping it out of the way and either preventing an apnea event or making them happen less often or less severe. But if you are only going to use it occasionally, then any side effects from it directly should be minimal.

You can try doing a forum search for "dental device" or "mandibular".

PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for the welcome and the guidance everyone!

I've started experiencing a couple of CPAP's side effects: dry mouth and aerophagia.

I've requested a chin strap from my equipment provider. Hoping that it arrives soon. Maybe I'll try out a face mask in 10 weeks when I'm due for a replacement.
Post Reply Post Reply
The bloating should go away with time. Many of us experience it in the beginning. The fact you have it with the Autoset is odd, though. Try raising the head of your bed an inch or two. Either the entire headboard or just the mattress.

Are you using the humidifier? If so, sometimes having it turned on too high can have the same effects as not using it at all.

Are you viewing your data? Does it say you have a high leak rate? If you don't, then you aren't mouth breathing at night and a full face mask isn't needed.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
I had a mandibular advancement device and after a few months with it I got severe jaw pain. I am also surprised your doctor advised it for travel purposes. You can take your CPAP along with you on trips and if you find it too bulky there are tiny almost cellphone size cpaps made for travel that probably cost the same if not less than a dental device. CPAP is generally considered more effective than dental devices. I would as your doctor why he advised the dental device for travel when you can easily travel with your cpap.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hello Paula,

The bloating has been diminishing over the past couple of days. I do have the humidifier set to maximum so perhaps I should adjust it downwards.

I'm still getting the hang of reading my charts. Each morning I've gotten "Mr.Smiley" on the Leak indicator for my S9 and no "Mr.Frowny". If it helps, this is what my chart looks like to-date.

Hello Lukie,

I was the one who requested the MAD. One of my former coworkers had notable success with it. She too experienced severe jaw pain but it went away after the device was adjusted. She claims to have no problems with it anymore.
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-02-2014, 07:50 AM)Lukie Wrote: I had a mandibular advancement device and after a few months with it I got severe jaw pain.  I am also surprised your doctor advised it for travel purposes.  You can take your CPAP along with you on trips and if you find it too bulky there are tiny almost cellphone size cpaps made for travel that probably cost the same if not less than a dental device.  CPAP is generally considered more effective than dental devices.  I would as your doctor why he advised the dental device for travel when you can easily travel with your cpap.

CPAPS do not count as a luggage when boarding. Of course, you need a letter from a doctor. I gave such letters. Thay`re just papers so someone in the system vouch for you.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Questions about Somnodent Fusion Arlo4800 4 1,245 05-09-2019, 08:23 AM
Last Post: Arlo4800
  ResMed Narval CC dental appliance and extreme dry mouth MyronH 4 1,193 09-01-2018, 05:41 AM
Last Post: ardenum
  ResMed Narval oral appliance mixed results MyronH 4 1,923 07-15-2018, 11:31 AM
Last Post: MyronH
  [Treatment] SomnoDent nap80 4 3,465 11-03-2016, 04:14 PM
Last Post: grumbledore
  Anyone tried somnodent? danstelter 0 2,612 05-07-2013, 05:16 PM
Last Post: danstelter

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.