Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Poor adjustment to Amara View
Poor adjustment to Amara View
I just switched from pillows, that were making me feel suffocated, to a Respironics Amara View. My adjustment to the mask is not so great, for a couple of reasons. First, as I am unable to achieve a good seal, the escaping Air makes it very noisy. Second, it’s pretty uncomfortable, even painful on the outside of my mouth.

So, I’m already questioning the wisdom of changing. BTW - I tried the mask in my suppliers office before I decided to take it. It felt fine and the technician was able to accomplish what I haven’t, a good seal.

...So, I checked My Air and found that my AHI numbers have increased well beyond the “minor sleep apnea/hypopnea” range. For the past year, my AHI numbers were almost never higher than 10 and were usually lower. Now, with the mask, of the three nights for which there’s data available, the lowest number is 15.6; the others are 28.6 and 33.6. My questions are: does anyone have suggestions to make the Amara View a better experience and is it normal to have this type of AHI spike when switching from pillows to a mask?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Poor adjustment to Amara View
It's normal to need 1cm to 2cm increase in the minimum pressure when changing from pillows to a full face mask.Also check out the link below called mask primer. It'll give you tips on adjusting your mask.
Download SleepyHead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Posting Charts
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead
Mask Primer
Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply
I trialled an Amara View FFM recently after using a nasal mask (Phillips Wisp).  It took about 4 nights to adjust to the difference and to get the straps adjusted so I didn't get large leaks.  I did find I had to have the straps very tight to stop the leaks though (but wondered if that was because it was a trial mask and had been used a lot?), that was my only concern with the mask.  I also felt suffocated when I trialled nasal pillows so understand where you are coming from there.  I found the AHI did increase with the change over to the FFM, but I would be interested to see the data over a 2 week period.  I think it would be worth persevering with the mask if you can and see how you feel with the mask and if the AHI reduces as you get used to the mask.  Good luck xx
Post Reply Post Reply
GrannyP
Welcome to the forum. The mask selection is the largest hurdle to xpap usage. Once you have used the mask a few days wipe the mask parts that touch your face with an unscented baby wipe, then wipe your face where the mask touches using the same wipe. Put the mask on immediately after wiping. I have found this helps with leakage. I usually clean my mask this way every 2 - 3 days. Don't put any lotions on your face where the mask will touch.

Welcome
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Diagnosis] ATRIAL FIBRILLATION - CONTRARIAN VIEW? srlevine1 9 355 03-05-2024, 08:35 PM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  Poor Sleep Quality/ Respiratory Rates flyingg103 3 251 02-29-2024, 08:21 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
Question [CPAP] New to CPAP/APAP looking for Adjustment tips jster71 2 305 02-16-2024, 03:54 PM
Last Post: Old Steve
  Poor sleep quality and how it affects you p123 6 875 02-01-2024, 06:02 AM
Last Post: glenncol
  Switched masks and adjustment period sleepingbetterinFl 1 219 01-21-2024, 03:11 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  Poor sleep quality because of CA events? Hypoxic 20 1,209 12-20-2023, 08:34 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  Poor quality sleep on ASV with good AHI sleepydawg99 8 624 12-19-2023, 12:23 PM
Last Post: robbob2112

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.