Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

ResMed Not Recognizing Flow Limitations?
Exclaimation 
ResMed Not Recognizing Flow Limitations?
I'm just curious, and not asking for my therapy. According to the wiki articles (1, 2), the below should be examples of Flow Limitations. However, the ResMed machine Flow Limit chart doesn't mark them as such. Any idea what's going on here?

Detailed example:

More examples:

PS: These shots are from a ResMed VAuto report on VPAPauto mode using the latest Oscar.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: ResMed Not Recognizing Flow Limitations?
I, for one, am confused. Your profile shows a Philips DreamStation, but you posted about a Resmed. Could you be a little more detailed? Also, please provide a complete screenshot of the Daily screens that you used for the above examples. If you aren't familiar with this procedure, press the F12 key while viewing the Daily screen.
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
See if this helps explain the "fuzzy logic" behind the Autoset detection of flow limitation. The PDF for the images is pretty useful in understanding the patent language, but it all makes my head spin a bit. https://www.freepatentsonline.com/y2011/0203588.html
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-29-2021, 10:22 AM)Sleeprider Wrote: See if this helps explain the "fuzzy logic" behind the Autoset detection of flow limitation.  The PDF for the images is pretty useful in understanding the patent language, but it all makes my head spin a bit. https://www.freepatentsonline.com/y2011/0203588.html

Thank you Sleeprider, that was a perfect reply! I skimmed the patent application and it sure needs careful studying. I noticed they discussed AI (machine learning) as an option they studied to measure FL. It is so awesome that we have access to this kind of info!

This patent application made me look into other research and I'm going to start a new thread about what I found in the research regarding dealing with FL.
Post Reply Post Reply
That's one of the longest patents I ever looked at!  Tons of background information.  But less than a page of claims.  Interesting.  
My VAuto is seemingly missing events, or not reacting as I expect.  Will have to read about this further.  Been wishing for a knob to adjust the sensitivity.  
Thanks for posting this.
Post Reply Post Reply
You should keep in mind that "flow limitation" doesn't refer to an actual real specific event, but is rather a continuous rating of your breathing, 0 corresponding to an A and 1 to an F. Hence what is displayed as "flow limitation" should be better called "grade of flow".

See http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...#pid373980 for more details.

Now if we call the "real thing". i.e. some events that actually take place in your airway, a "physical flow limitation" (as shown in your post) the machine won't mark them as some physical events but these are used for the permanent evaluation of the "grade of flow". And if the grade becomes worse the machine gives some tutoring in form of pressure change to achieve a better grading.

Mike
Post Reply Post Reply
SR, would you add that ref to the flow limits wiki please.
Post Reply Post Reply
I will add the link to the wiki. I'm hoping whatever MADawake comes up with can be linked as well.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Flow rate kink at end of exhalation ahuman 7 91 8 hours ago
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Awoken by air flow? ReclaimingMySleep 8 263 11 hours ago
Last Post: ReclaimingMySleep
  [CPAP] Adjusting for flow limitations jane2911 10 311 03-25-2024, 01:24 PM
Last Post: jane2911
  [Equipment] HELP - BIPAP-ST Restricting Inhalation/Exhalation Air Flow / Tidal Volume PAPPER101 3 113 03-24-2024, 09:29 PM
Last Post: stevew168
  flow limitations acceptable levels yankees123 27 1,614 03-23-2024, 02:41 AM
Last Post: CPAPfriend
  OSCAR flow rate assessment -- mouth leaks, palatal prolapse? manders513 9 235 03-22-2024, 06:16 PM
Last Post: BigWing
  Fixed mask leak, but flow limit seems to be increasing AHI emile.leplattenier 3 145 03-19-2024, 11:00 AM
Last Post: staceyburke

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.