Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

ResMed Power Brick specs
Question 
ResMed Power Brick specs
Anyone have the technical specs on the ResMed power brick?

I'm interested in running it off a computer type UPS backup supply. There are two types. 1) creates a pure sine wave 120VAC 60 Hz waveform. 2) Creates a step approximation to a sine wave.

Type 2 has known problems with computers that have active power factor correction (computer power supplies are by design a reactive load [inductive].)

Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: ResMed Power Brick specs
Hi justMongo
Not sure if this answer your question ... from S8 manual
Power Supply
• Input range for S8 AutoSet II with HumidAire 3i: 100–240 V, 50/60 Hz; 110 V, 400 Hz; 2.5 A <140 VA (110 W) (maximum power consumption). Instantaneous peak power consumption <340 VA.
• Refer to the DC-12 converter instructions for DC ratings. Only use the ResMed DC-12 converter for DC input.
Actual power consumption will vary, depending on factors such as the use of accessories, height above sea level, and ambient temperature.
Power consumption values for typical treatment conditions (using a breathing machine set to 0.5 L and 15 breaths/min with 6’6” [2 m] air tubing and an Ultra Mirage mask)
Post Reply Post Reply
Which unit will also make a difference, such as mine *MUST* use a pure-sine-wave only...

As a retired truck driver, I ran my old CPAP on a 150 watt Radio shack inverter for many years on the road.
*I* am not a DOCTOR or any type of Health Care Professional.  My thoughts/suggestions/ideas are strictly only my opinions.

"Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you. Jesus Christ and the American Soldier. One died for your Soul, the other for your Freedom."
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-24-2013, 10:48 PM)Peter_C Wrote: Which unit will also make a difference, such as mine *MUST* use a pure-sine-wave only...

As a retired truck driver, I ran my old CPAP on a 150 watt Radio shack inverter for many years on the road.

And there are varying degrees of non-linearity in inverters and backup supplies. Some are really a crude approximation of a sine wave.

The APC BR1500 is a stepped sine wave; but comprised of many steps. I'm replacing my BR1500 on my home computer system with an APC SMC1500 900Watt (1500VA) pure sine wave backup, I'm hoping to run my machine on the BR1500. It will never see the sine generator as long as the mains are hot. Just like to be able to get through a power outage.
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
Around home, in the last dozen or so years, we either lose power for a moment, or for long enough for me to fire up my back-up genny - granted, won't help with sleeping through anything, but will allow me to go back to sleep.
*I* am not a DOCTOR or any type of Health Care Professional.  My thoughts/suggestions/ideas are strictly only my opinions.

"Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you. Jesus Christ and the American Soldier. One died for your Soul, the other for your Freedom."
Post Reply Post Reply
ResMed says S8 humidifiers may be damaged by anything but a pure sine wave. The blower unit will run OK off of a Modified "Sine" Waveinverter

S9 machines and humidifiers will run fine off of MSW inverters, since the humidifier runs off of 24V from the power brick.

http://www.resmed.com/us/assets/document...lo_eng.pdf
Get the free OSCAR CPAP software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi, archangle, I'm a relatively "new newbie" to CPAP (just passed my first year on CPAP!!) and a "rank newbie" to anything like the discussion going on here; however, I've been watching this thread with keen interest and would like to ask if I have "this" correct:

The ResMed S9 Auto Set and humidifiers will run fine off of MSW inverters.
Therefore (?), the MSW inverter APC BR1500 is fine to use with the ResMed S9 Auto Set....??

Just need a little clarification before I buy the APC BR1500 and hook it up to the CPAP machine during winter storms. THANKS!!
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-29-2013, 09:09 PM)MAPnea Wrote: Hi, archangle, I'm a relatively "new newbie" to CPAP (just passed my first year on CPAP!!) and a "rank newbie" to anything like the discussion going on here; however, I've been watching this thread with keen interest and would like to ask if I have "this" correct:

The ResMed S9 Auto Set and humidifiers will run fine off of MSW inverters.
Therefore (?), the MSW inverter APC BR1500 is fine to use with the ResMed S9 Auto Set....??

Just need a little clarification before I buy the APC BR1500 and hook it up to the CPAP machine during winter storms. THANKS!!

I didn't look in detail, but presumably it will be OK. Of course, any inverter could fail and put out the wrong voltage. Don't necessarily expect many hours of run time.

Get the free OSCAR CPAP software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks, archangle, I'll read up a bit more and - most likely - proceed.
Post Reply Post Reply
The Resmed S9 Autoset runs on 24v DC at about 4 amps. Nothing special there.
But it DOES have a really stupid power plug, most likely to discourage people from building thier own (better) PS.

Know that one could dispense with the inverter type system (which wastes an incredible amount of power) and
use a pair of 12v batteries in series or a large 12v battery with a DC-DC converter to run 24V out for you.

Resmed will sell you the cigarette lighter device for a pretty penny but it's most likely worth while.
Why?
Because you can easily get twice the run time on straight DC as opposed to converting DC to 110AC (with an inverter) then BACK to 24v DC to feed the blower.
This will save you some big $$ on the back end because you dont need to buy such huge batteries.

Cool?

=^.^=
"With ordinary talent and extraordinary perseverance, all things are attainable." - Thomas Foxwell Buxton

Cool
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Transcend (Somnetics) Micro Power Plug Size SteadyState 6 1,790 03-25-2024, 01:14 PM
Last Post: johnbrain
  Airsence 10 Date Resets after Power Outrage Khayyam Qaiser 2 229 01-26-2024, 12:12 PM
Last Post: Khayyam Qaiser
  Philips Respironics DreamStation check power Steve Foley 18 22,419 01-07-2024, 02:09 PM
Last Post: zebedee
  AirSense 10. Power cable broke on air tube connecting ring. Ruhtra 1 405 11-18-2023, 02:29 PM
Last Post: robbob2112
  AirCurve power problem Shamus54 10 981 10-30-2023, 07:13 PM
Last Post: Shamus54
  Resmed Airsense 11 blowing full power with no leaks bcodemz 2 870 10-29-2023, 07:57 PM
Last Post: bcodemz
  [Equipment] Portable Backup Power for Outages Craige 4 570 10-29-2023, 05:33 PM
Last Post: Craige

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.