Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

ResMed Report and Open Mouth Sleeping
ResMed Report and Open Mouth Sleeping
Hi All
I use a ResMed S9 machine and usually look at the "last night" report on the Info button every morning. It's a pretty simple report, but what I'm wondering is whether the "mask fit" smiley face indicates whether I'm keeping with my mouth closed when I'm asleep.

If not, is there any way I can tell if my mouth is open or closed?

Thanks in advance!
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: ResMed Report and Open Mouth Sleeping
Leak rate and/or dry mouth is your first clue - open mouth (mouth breathing) will show as a leak - the problem is the frowny face only shows during bad leaks.
*I* am not a DOCTOR or any type of Health Care Professional.  My thoughts/suggestions/ideas are strictly only my opinions.

"Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you. Jesus Christ and the American Soldier. One died for your Soul, the other for your Freedom."
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for that Peter. I'm a new CPAP machine user (about 2 months); can you tell me how to find out my leak rate? I've certainly had a dry mouth from time to time.

Does the frowny face show only during the event, or will it be there next morning?
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-18-2014, 02:10 PM)brianps Wrote: Thanks for that Peter. I'm a new CPAP machine user (about 2 months); can you tell me how to find out my leak rate? I've certainly had a dry mouth from time to time.

Does the frowny face show only during the event, or will it be there next morning?
s9 report unintentional leak (mask leak plus mouth leak), mask-fit indicates good if 70th percentile leak less than 24 l/m
chinstrap helps keep mouth closed and minimize mouth leaks while using nasal mask

1- standard info menu
press the info button for 3 seconds to get into sleep quality report. you should see usage, mask fit icon (smiley or frawny), and ahi (frawny face means leak rate was at or above 24 l/m for at least 30% of the night). if only usage displayed means someone locked you out of the sleep report data. to unlock it, you need to get into the clinical menu and change sleep quality to on instead usage
cpap day start from noon to noon and at noon reset to zero. if you checking the data after mid-day, go to advanced info menu

2- advanced info menu
press and hold the info and setup buttons for three seconds. this gives you additional data and information

here s9 setup, pictures and video http://www.apneaboard.com/resmed-s9-cpap-setup

the clinical manual have all the information you need whcih can be obtained via email, you only have to ask
http://www.apneaboard.com/adjust-cpap-pr...tup-manual

the software going to show you more detailed information and detailed data graphs
sleepyhead and resscan software download links
http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-P...-and-Links

s9 data guide http://www.resmed.com/au/assets/document...ow_eng.pdf

resscan interpretation guide http://www.apneaboard.com/ResScan_Interp...-Guide.pdf
resscan tutorial http://apneaboard.com/resscan.htm

Post Reply Post Reply
(03-18-2014, 01:38 PM)brianps Wrote: Hi All
I use a ResMed S9 machine and usually look at the "last night" report on the Info button every morning. It's a pretty simple report, but what I'm wondering is whether the "mask fit" smiley face indicates whether I'm keeping with my mouth closed when I'm asleep.
Mr. Red Frowny shows up if you are leaking AT or ABOVE 24 L/min for at least 30% of the night. Otherwise Mr. Green Smiley shows up.

Resmed defines an Official Large Leak as any leak over 24 L/min. A few Large Leaks are usually not a problem when it comes to the efficacy of the therapy and the accuracy of the data. But if the leaks are both long and large, they can adversely affect both the quality of the therapy and the accuracy of the data.

Mouth leaks usually are large and are often large enough to be Official Large Leaks. So if you're sleeping with your mouth wide open for 30% or more of the night, then there's a pretty good chance that Mr. Red Frowny will pay you a visit the next morning. But if you're sleeping with your mouth wide open only 25% of the night, there's a pretty good chance Mr. Green Smiley will show up the next morning.

Quote:If not, is there any way I can tell if my mouth is open or closed?
By going into the Detailed Sleep Report on the LCD you will see what's called the 95% leak rate. If the 95% Leak rate is 30 L/min, that means that for 95% of the night your leaks were AT or BELOW 30 L/min and for 5% of the night your leaks were AT or ABOVE 30 L/min.

If the 95% leak rate is below 24 L/min, then you know that there's not enough leaking going on for mouth breathing to be a serious problem.

If Mr. Red Frowny shows up, then you know that there IS enough leaking going on for it to be a problem, and mouth leaks are a top suspect if you're not using a full face mask.

If the 95% leak rate is above 24 L/min, but Mr Green Smiley shows up, you're in grey territory. Some of the leaks are definitely large enough to be a concern, but the question is how long did those leaks last? The only way to really assess this situation is to look at the leak line itself in either ResScan or SleepyHead. If there's a lot of large humps in the leak graph and those humps are often near or above 24 L/min, you're probably doing some mouth breathing. And if you're also dealing with dry mouth symptoms or the AHI seems to be too high, those leaks may be long enough for them to be a problem for you, even if they're not a problem in the Resmed engineers eyes.

Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks to all of you for the detailed and very helpful replies! Sounds like I have a little research to do. Thanks Zonk for all the help.

Robysue, on the plus side, I have never had Mr. Red Frowny in the morning, so it seems likely I don't have a serious problem. That's good to know.

I'm going to install the software and get to work!

Thanks again to all!
Post Reply Post Reply
Update:

I got into the Advanced Info as suggested by Zonk, and got the following for the 30-day period:
Leak = 7L/min. and AHI 0.8, total AI 0.6, Central AI 0.0

These numbers seem OK to me, but can folks with more experience than I have comment please?

Thanks again!
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi brianps, welcome to Apnea Board. Coffee

Just my opinion, but I would love to have those great numbers as a 30-day average. Looks very good to me. Leak rate low, AHI at 0.8 is super.

Congrats

Are you feeling any better now that you've been on CPAP for nearly 2 months?
SuperSleeper
Apnea Board Administrator
www.ApneaBoard.com

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks SuperSleeper, that's good to know.

As to how I'm feeling, I have to say that my first full night of successfully using the CPAP machine and mask (which was NOT the first night I had it!), I thought it was a miracle cure, I noticed that much difference. I'm more accustomed now to it, so the difference doesn't seem so remarkable, but there is not doubt that I'm sleeping better and waking up somewhat more refreshed.

Thanks for asking!
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-19-2014, 07:27 AM)brianps Wrote: Update:

I got into the Advanced Info as suggested by Zonk, and got the following for the 30-day period:
Leak = 7L/min. and AHI 0.8, total AI 0.6, Central AI 0.0

These numbers seem OK to me, but can folks with more experience than I have comment please?

Thanks again!

Umm - unless you are bored, you really do not need to be here, nor do anything other than what you've been doing. If you are pleased with your sleep - you're gold.
*I* am not a DOCTOR or any type of Health Care Professional.  My thoughts/suggestions/ideas are strictly only my opinions.

"Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you. Jesus Christ and the American Soldier. One died for your Soul, the other for your Freedom."
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [CPAP] Only sleeping 3 hours a night with CPAP, almost fell asleep at wheel biboombap 6 56 18 minutes ago
Last Post: Expat31
  Mouth Tape Tradegy PappaJoe 12 818 20 minutes ago
Last Post: SeePak
  Acid problems and pressure build up in mouth Hurdsy 2 112 04-17-2024, 10:55 PM
Last Post: Hurdsy
  Dry mouth and throat. VegasGMC 3 113 04-15-2024, 08:37 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Product Suggestions To Help Prevent Back Sleeping mawaw1992 6 172 04-07-2024, 09:19 AM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  Central Sleeping Apnea treatment ivan007 19 638 04-02-2024, 10:30 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  How do I reduce mouth leaking? meatheadmd 7 635 03-29-2024, 12:18 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.