Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

ResMed S+ unboxing
ResMed S+ unboxing
I received my ResMed S+ today, a day earlier than my Amazon Prime promised. That is not unusual Smile

For those that don't know, S+ is a sleep monitoring device by ResMed that claims to be able to track your sleep patterns logging various sleep levels (light, REM, Deep, etc) and display graphics of them. It is designed to "help you get more sleep", but I could not help but to be intrigued by the idea of combining that with my Sleepyhead data as soon as my CPAP machine gets here. The S+ lists at $149 but right now is on intro special, and runs between $50 and $75 depending on where you get it.

The packaging is first class, well protected and easy to access. Upon following the brief instructions to get started it was up and talking to my iPad in a couple minutes. It will work with Android or IOS devices.

There is a few minutes of answering questions to configure it so it knows a little about you- supposedly to tailor sleep monitoring and suggestions for how to improve sleep based on your individual characteristics.

I played around with it for a few minutes at my desk and it does seem to be able to detect breathing patterns etc. Next up will be to put it to work tonight and get a look in the morning about what it thinks I did in my sleep! And, despite trying to trick it for 15 or so minutes, I could not convince it I was asleep - that is good.

Stay tuned I will report back tomorrow.

[link removed]

-----
Moderator Action: Link Removed
To maintain our status as an educational organization, the only commercial links allowed in this forum are to CPAP-related manufacturer websites. This is stated in the Apnea Board Rules with details given in the Commercial Links Policy section.
-----

I am not a Medical professional and I don't play one on the internet.
Started CPAP Therapy April 5, 2016
I'd Rather Be Sleeping
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: ResMed S+ unboxing
It looks like an interesting gadget. Is there a way to import the data to SleepyHead, or did you just mean that you'll compare the graphs, etc. side by side?
Post Reply Post Reply
For now I am going to compare data side by side, but I am a programmer and my intent is to see if there is anyway to export the data from the phone or tablet. If we can get the data out of the app and into a file of almost any sort we can convert it to be useful in Sleepyhead. One step at a time, first I need to see if it actually does something/anything. Second I need correlate the reading with my CPAP data (I don't get my CPAP machine for another 5 days or so) and then if it looks like the data might be useful to see if there is anyway to get it out of the app.
Post Reply Post Reply
Out of interest, where is it made?

Post Reply Post Reply
(03-23-2016, 04:58 AM)DeepBreathing Wrote: Out of interest, where is it made?

Where is everything made - China. Sigh. It does appear to be relatively high quality and is at least from an appearance point of view well designed.

It says on the bottom, "Designed in Ireland and Made in China.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks Frank. Resmed took over a Chinese medical equipment company last year, so I suppose it's only a matter of time before we see their xPAP machines coming from China too.

Interesting about the "Designed in Ireland". Resmed have a joint venture in R&D with University College Dublin though it look likes this might have been designed by a bureau. I see it got the Red Dot design award for 2015. http://red-dot.de/pd/online-exhibition/w...=0&lang=en
Post Reply Post Reply
Information 
Okay, first night with my S+.

First a couple thoughts, I have read around the net people complaining that ResMed has not integrated this with their CPAPs, at least allowing a connection to share the data. I think that will never happen. The CPAPs are medical devices and I expect there are a lot of regulations concerning reliability and accuracy. I am certain this is a "consumer" level device (at < $100) and it's accuracy is too unreliable to class as a medical device. Allowing the two to share data would certainly open ResMed up to legal complications if for no other reason that implied accuracy and reliability.

That said.

I have mild to moderate OSD and possibly mild restless legs... I have not received my CPAP machine yet, and so the following is purely opinion and is not based on comparing the S+ with my CPAP data for the same period, I will do that when the CPAP gets here.

1. REM sleep states shown are "doubtful", in my sleep study I had 1 all night - so, I am suspicious of this statistic. It might be that I had a good night last night maybe, and I will have to see how it compares to my CPAP data to be certain.

2. I don't understand why they swapped light and REM in order, probably from a consumer point of view light is before deep ? Anyway, the light sleep is what I would expect from my sleep study. Lots of short duration light sleep levels achieved.

3. Deep Sleep seems possible, probably right, I seem to recall on my original sleep study (a couple weeks ago) that I had 1 or 0 of them.

4. Waking events also seems at least in the ball park with 6. I believe it should be closer to 10 or so waking events and many more arousal events which this does not detect, but maybe I had a good night Smile

5. 6 hours of sleep in a 8 hour period roughly seems about right.

I noticed that the device is VERY sensitive to movement, you can watch your "breathing" waveform in realtime on your phone or tablet. Moving will cause a lot of "noise" in wild fluctuations. Obviously they filter out most of the wild fluctuations to come to their conclusions. However that probably explains why they have a disclaimer that people with restless legs will see a reduction in accuracy. It also explains why they say you should not have pets in bed with you, since they will move around during the night and decrease the accuracy.

So, my first impression is that it does something. It is at least in the ball park for what I would expect my sleep pattern to look like. I will not know how accurate it is until I get my CPAP, and I may put together a quick and dirty DIY EEG to compare brain waves with it also.

Of course the one BIG advantage this has is that it is non-contact. No wires, no sound, it will not disturb your sleep, unless you are paranoid about having a low power RADAR system monitoring your every movement in bed and transmitting those movements to a company somewhere... Smile (I don't know if you can turn off the remote data uploading yet, and some people have complained that it burns through their limited data plans, so beware of that. It connects via wifi to the internet)

Oh, this is the screen shot from my iPAD. You also can go to their mysplus.com page and log in and see more charts, graphs and details about your data over days, weeks or months.

EDIT: Oh, forgot to mention, my wife was sharing the bed, and they say that will not interfere with the measurements. I watched for a while and her movements did not seem to impact the waveform at all.

[Image: IMG_0159.PNG]
I am not a Medical professional and I don't play one on the internet.
Started CPAP Therapy April 5, 2016
I'd Rather Be Sleeping
Post Reply Post Reply
Neat! I want one.

Quote:you can watch your "breathing" waveform in realtime on your phone or tablet.

It would be really tempting to lie there and watch the "Wave TV". Maybe it would be monotonous and make me fall asleep, though.
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-23-2016, 08:14 AM)green wings Wrote: Neat! I want one.

Quote:you can watch your "breathing" waveform in realtime on your phone or tablet.

It would be really tempting to lie there and watch the "Wave TV". Maybe it would be monotonous and make me fall asleep, though.

Might - lol. They also have a few functions to help you fall asleep - white noise, and other back ground sounds, and a place to make notes of things to help get them off your mind. It is designed to help you to develop habits that encourage sleep.

Oh, and in case I was not clear, the "watching the waveform" screen is not available when you have it set to "I am going to sleep now" mode.
Post Reply Post Reply
Interesting Frank, thanks for sharing.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.