Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Needing some advice..
RE: Needing some advice..
I am not aware what settings the S9 has versus the S10 ASV, you'll likely lose timing controls, cycle and trigger as well. You'll be left with Mode: CPAP, ASV, ASV Auto. From there skip CPAP mode, and I'd suggest skips ASV mode as well, leaving you ASV Auto mode.

ASV versus ASV Auto, ASV has static EPAP while ASV Auto makes EPAP a range.

Settings on the ASV, you already have EPAP 7 so you can carry that if you like/need it. I'd probably try EPAP 6 to 12 or so then you'll need Pressure Support (PS) min and max, maybe default 3-15.

Note you'll not set IPAP directly, it's the sum of EPAP and PS.

Example: EPAP 7 plus PS 3 equals IPAP 10.

Again the other settings on the ST will be absent. RR, Ti, Rise, Trigger, Cycle (timing).

Recap set:
EPAP 6 to 12 or so
PS 3-15 should be default
Show an OSCAR telling us how you feel. This should be dialed in within about 2 days.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for the response.  My machine is still a few days from delivery.  I hope to have it later next week.
Post Reply Post Reply
OK copy. We'll be able to assist in getting you going pretty quick.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I received my used Resmed S9 APAP Auto (ASV) machine yesterday.  It was in great shape!

I set up the machine like SarcasticDave recommended:

ASVAuto
EPAP 6-12
PS 3-15

I tried it out for a few minutes with the SD card in and made sure that it was collecting data and then set up my Oscar profile for the new machine.

At bedtime I waited a bit before starting the machine.  It is amazing how much more comfortable the ASV is over the ST.  I didn't feel the "mechanical" high-low pressure cycling like the ST.  However, as I drifted off to sleep and likely paused breathing, the huge pulse of pressure would wake me up.  This went on for a while, drifting off to sleep and then waking up to the increase in pressure.  I adjusted the max PS down from 15 to 10 thinking that would limit how high pressure would go and hopefully allow me to fall off to sleep.  I'm not sure that was the best setting to adjust.  It did allow me to fall asleep.  I still noticed the pressure changes throughout the night and it did wake me up but I was able to then fall back to sleep.

I awoke this morning and peeked at the numbers 1.3 AHI....WOW.  It feels amazing to have had sleep.  Deep sleep.

I've attached the chart from last night and a zoomed section to give some idea of what is going on.  Any suggestions on adjustments to make?

Post Reply Post Reply
If any changes are indicated, and I'm not seeing reason for any edits yet, you'll likely not touch either EPAP or PS Min. This maintains a pressure differential of at least 3. OSCAR chart seems to indicate this is fine.

If the ASV does those hard jolts again, use what is called blowback. Take it literal, blow back through your mask, something like a fast somewhat forceful exhale may do it. The idea is to jolt the ASV back. It's a "Hey I'm still breathing" message. It'll back off for a bit, hopefully long enough for you to get into deeper sleep.

To me the chart looks pretty good. The goal isn't no events, but good control and low counts with good comfort. It sounds like that's what you've gotten.
Post Reply Post Reply
Can someone help me find a post or wiki that I think Sleeprider created on qualifying for ASV?   I have searched and cannot locate the article.  It was not a post or reply but a tutorial on qualifying for ASV through either failure at CPAP or demonstration of sucess on ASV.

Thank  you.
Post Reply Post Reply
It may have been within the wiki.

Machine descriptions

This next one describes CSA

CSA
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  OSCAR advice juniper 7 173 04-12-2024, 05:17 PM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  [Pressure] Advice on pressure adjustments akarifur 52 2,525 04-06-2024, 01:23 PM
Last Post: akarifur
  New user looking for Advice NeedSleepnea 15 328 04-01-2024, 11:08 AM
Last Post: NeedSleepnea
  New to CPAP, looking for guidance and advice iamJB 18 464 03-31-2024, 12:52 PM
Last Post: Expat31
  New- CA CA-Tired help with settings advice jenjabba 8 286 03-27-2024, 01:03 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  New Here, Been using OSCAR, Need Advice Regarding Adjustments FrankReality 26 1,026 03-26-2024, 01:49 PM
Last Post: FrankReality
  Needing help fixing my sleep with cpap nunogarcia 2 208 03-22-2024, 09:04 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.