Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

ResMed S9 AutoSet - Extreme Newbie
ResMed S9 AutoSet - Extreme Newbie
Hi all,

I am so new to this that I don't have the machine yet. I went through 3 sleep studies and they have just figured out what I need, of course, is the most expensive configuration with complex sleep apnea. I have been doing my due diligence in checking out everything possible about complex sleep apnea. They had my last titration using a ResMed S9 AutoSet BiPAP with an SV setting.

I am sure that means a lot to many of you but I'm still trying to understand it all. I was informed by my sleep analyst that they should include an H5i Heated humidifier and use ClimateLine heated tubing, to prevent Rainout.

So, how am I doing so far?

I am waiting for the Doctor to write me the prescription for this device. I don't know if insurance will pay for the humidifier or heater tubing. Any advice on what insurance will normally pay for?

Someone told me to try and find a equipment supplier that include some supplies. Is this right? What supplies would I ask for? Is there anything else I should ask about the company....like do they charge for shipping and handling? Do they all do auto supplies? What about intervals for masks, tubing, filters....???

If they suggest that I replace the mask or tubing that is working perfectly well, why change them? I can see ordering them ahead of time incase of a failure but why replace the old ones just because a date is on a calendar tells me that its time.

Okay, enough about supplies. I would like to get the ResScan Software. It looks like its an old version of software. Does it work under Microsoft Windows 8? Where can I find the software?

I am sure I will have more questions when I get everything here, set up and start using it.

Thanks in advanced for any advise you might give. I am sorry for my very wordy first posting. LOL

Regards,
Rick
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: ResMed S9 AutoSet - Extreme Newbie
(09-14-2013, 01:17 AM)Richg44006 Wrote: Hi all,

I am so new to this that I don't have the machine yet. I went through 3 sleep studies and they have just figured out what I need, of course, is the most expensive configuration with complex sleep apnea. I have been doing my due diligence in checking out everything possible about complex sleep apnea. They had my last titration using a ResMed S9 AutoSet BiPAP with an SV setting.

I am sure that means a lot to many of you but I'm still trying to understand it all. I was informed by my sleep analyst that they should include an H5i Heated humidifier and use ClimateLine heated tubing, to prevent Rainout.

So, how am I doing so far?

I am waiting for the Doctor to write me the prescription for this device. I don't know if insurance will pay for the humidifier or heater tubing. Any advice on what insurance will normally pay for?

Someone told me to try and find a equipment supplier that include some supplies. Is this right? What supplies would I ask for? Is there anything else I should ask about the company....like do they charge for shipping and handling? Do they all do auto supplies? What about intervals for masks, tubing, filters....???

If they suggest that I replace the mask or tubing that is working perfectly well, why change them? I can see ordering them ahead of time incase of a failure but why replace the old ones just because a date is on a calendar tells me that its time.

Okay, enough about supplies. I would like to get the ResScan Software. It looks like its an old version of software. Does it work under Microsoft Windows 8? Where can I find the software?

I am sure I will have more questions when I get everything here, set up and start using it.

Thanks in advanced for any advise you might give. I am sorry for my very wordy first posting. LOL

Regards,
Rick

Richg44006, welcome, your doing well so far, this is all a huge learning curve for anyone new, the ResMed S9 AutoSet BiPAP with an SV setting is a good machine and is data capable so in time you can read your own data daily if you want. I'll leave the other answers to your questions to others as I'm in Australia.
Just go into this with a positive attitude and you will go a long way, the benefits far out weigh the disadvanges of having to sleep with a mask on each night, good luck and ask as many questions you like anytime.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Richg44006,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
It sounds like you are coming into this with a positive attitude and that will help you a lot.
Hang in there for more answers to your questions and ask as many of them as you need to help you understand this therapy.
Best of luck to you.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply

when you get your machine, you should be provided with everything you need to use the machine immediately (mask, cushions, headgear, chin strap (if needed), filters, tubing, water chamber, filters, etc. when they suggest changing any of this it is to prevent infections, etc. While they may work fine, you don't want to get pneumonia or something worse on top of everything else.

ResScan and Sleepyhead work with Windows 8. This is the link to where you can go and download whichever or both of the software you want to use http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-P...-and-Links

I have found that the DME's all have their own opinions on what is acceptable for AHI's per hour, etc. I have used 3 different DME's and they all have given me different schedules for replacing my supplies. In reality, most insurance companies go by medicare guidelines.

I do know that every month I am allowed a cushion and a pkg of filters

Every 3 months I get a new mask set up and tubing

I know that every 6 months I get a new water chamber but not sure if that is all. I have to go back and look at what I am supposed to get but this is pretty close to what most insurance companies will provide. Will update when I have a chance to get my list out.

I hope this helped a little bit. Ask away if it didn't.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi all,

Thanks the additional details. "me50", thanks for the link for the software. I want to get the software installed so I could you play with it until I get my ResMed.

Regards,

Rick
Post Reply Post Reply
The software is pretty boring until you get some data into it - and for that you need the machine - but get it installed anyway ready.
If you PC doesn't have a SD card slot you will need a SD to usb adapter - about 20 bucks at an electronics store.
I know i couldn't wait to see my first nights data and start playing.
Post Reply Post Reply
Check the links in my signature for which CPAP machines you should try to get and how to fight for them.

Some DMEs (CPAP sellers) are sleazier than used car salesmen and will try to screw you with a machine that doesn't record much data to monitor your therapy.
Get the free OSCAR CPAP software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply
Had my first night on my ResMed S9 AutoSet. I did 2.7 hours last night and 1.5 hours in the afternoon yesterday when I first got it (but noticed it lowered my blood pressure) with 0.7 AHI and Pressure of 6.2 with a leak of 3L min. I'm not sure about my mask yet. I'm a side sleeper mostly but when I sleep on my back I snore so I need a full face mask. My cheeks are a tad bit sore. The release button isn't very easy to release on the mask yet or I'm not used to it LOL

I had a bad experience with the respiratory therapist they sent out yesterday. They were very unprofessional and rushed and I'm usually pretty good with gadgets and people. She didn't seem to want to take the time to try different masks or get the one on me she recommended adjusted or patient enough for me to take it off and on a few times. I politely called and requested another therapist today.

I'm really excited about using a AutoPap and requested my doctor do a sleep study. I'm looking forward to the benefits. This mask does seem to make me not snore when I'm on my back :-) I was wondering if the run hours always have 5 on them when they are brand new on ResMed S9 (maybe a burn in period) or if this therapist gave me a slightly used machine. She also told me to wash out the filter on the back which I've read not to do. I'm sure my insurance will cover new filters or I can pay out of pocket.

I've downloaded SleepyHead and Resmed software to look at my data after a little more usage. Thank you for having this forum to share experiences and if anyone has any input on my mask etc. please let me know. Sleep-well
Post Reply Post Reply
angeltam, welcome, well done on your first night, now you just have to increase the number of hours of usage, your AHI and leaks are good but it is only a short period of time. You will find some aches and pains from time to time until you get used to your CPAP like sore cheeks. Good idea about the therapist, you need someone you can work with. You can look at your data daily but you really need to look at a week or two worth of data, good luck.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi angeltam,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Don't be shy about asking to try different masks, as there are lots of them out there. The mask is the hardest part of the therapy.
It's a good thing that you called and asked for a different respiratory therapist and hopefuly, the next one that comes out is more willing to help you. If not, keep calling, 'til you get a decent one.
Good luck to you and just keep trying, it will get better.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question New CPAP User - Help Please - ResMed Airsense 11 Autoset Pawpri 25 474 3 hours ago
Last Post: Old Steve
  Help Lowering a Varying AHI for a Newbie rtkierke 16 386 Yesterday, 05:41 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  Need help with Airsense 10 AutoSet JonUK 2 121 03-25-2024, 06:11 PM
Last Post: JonUK
  newbie looking to get machine dialed in Jpm6179 3 133 03-25-2024, 07:42 AM
Last Post: Jpm6179
  CPAP newbie / OSCAR / study feedback Brad124 4 192 03-23-2024, 08:02 AM
Last Post: Brad124
  Newbie kindly asking for OSCAR analysis ash630 5 204 03-20-2024, 02:08 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  ResMed S9 AutoSet and OSCAR - Help Appreciated Slippy 12 480 03-16-2024, 08:56 AM
Last Post: Slippy

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.