Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

ResMed S9 AutoSet - Extreme Newbie
RE: ResMed S9 AutoSet - Extreme Newbie
Tez and Trish,

Thank You for your warm welcome! I'm going to keep at it and get the right mask and therapist. They are sending me a therapist that has been with the company longer and more patient according to the supervisor. How long do you recommend trying a mask for before deciding to give another one a try? I'm noticing a headache today. Not sure if that is related to how I slept or the mask etc. I'm looking forward to trying it again tonight and I'm sure it will be easier on the weekend knowing I can sleep in even later. I know it's a process well worth the effort. Thank you for your support.
Post Reply Post Reply
angeltam, you need to give each mask a few nights trail and when you find the right one, stick with it. With everything CPAP try to keep everything consistent. Sometimes we get headaches or aches and pain when we start CPAP as our bodies are getting used to it. Keep us updated on your progress and ask any questions and good luck with your second nights sleep.
Post Reply Post Reply
I'm going to keep at it and get the right mask and therapist.

When I got my CPAP in 2011, the DME I went to had a bed that you could lay down on with the mask to see how it felt when you were in a sleeping position.

The DME I have to use now has samples of masks that you can look at but none that you can try on. They also put you in a room with a big table as if it were a conference room for meetings.

I am interested to see what other people have experienced during the initial set up. I have never heard of a company that comes to our house for the set up (I had to travel 20 miles to get mine this time).
Post Reply Post Reply
My DME has nice, big recliner chairs....not quite the same as lying down, but easy for them to make adjustments while they have you hooked up to a CPAP to do the initial fitting. No home service and no laying down on a bed trials here Sad

Angeltam, Tez62 has some good points. Give each mask at least a couple days....you can think it is perfect one night and find something wrong the next night or think it leaks like a sieve one night and is "the mask" for you afterwards. I am just in the process of swapping one that, although it seals well and gives low AHI numbers, the mask isn't comfortable for my nose which makes it harder to keep it on and get good therapy. Keep working at it....the results are worth it Smile
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Last night (night 2) was certainly interesting. I woke up twice, once on my side and once on my back choking or something then coughing. Thank goodness I was able to get the mask off pretty quickly. I'm not sure what happened. I think I only clocked 2.3 hours with the mask on and woke up exhausted this morning.

The new therapist is coming out Monday and is talking about trying nasal pillows considering I'm a side sleeper most of the time. She said the mask I have now is kind of bulky. She mentioned she had a brother in law that learned to keep his mouth closed and uses the nasal pillows. I know I snore when I'm on back and my mouth opens slightly.

I'm wondering if anyone has switched from full face to nasal pillows with success or how that could affect my AHI reading. Will I get the correct reading if I open up and snore? :-) Nasal pillows sound a lot more comfortable. And my prescription says mask of patient's choice from the home sleep study. And what nasal pillows have you found that work well for you even tho I realize it's a personal choice and everyone has different face shapes and sleep habits.

Post Reply Post Reply
Talk to your therapist about tightening up your auto set points or learn to do it yourself . 4 to 20 are the default pressures. You had a titration study and they came up with a pressure setting.
You should have your low setting to just under that point . Reason is that the machine takes too much time to come up to your titration point . Most people also set their higher setting to 4 or 5 over their titration pressure and go from there.
Also you need to look at your epr =exhaust pressure relief settings ,0 to 3 .
It tends to let you breathe out easier for comfort. You can get your clinician manual on this forum to see how to do it.
Change your profile as you change settings so others can see what you are at .
good sleeping to you.
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-20-2013, 05:13 PM)angeltam Wrote: Last night (night 2) was certainly interesting. I woke up twice, once on my side and once on my back choking or something then coughing. Thank goodness I was able to get the mask off pretty quickly. I'm not sure what happened. I think I only clocked 2.3 hours with the mask on and woke up exhausted this morning.

The new therapist is coming out Monday and is talking about trying nasal pillows considering I'm a side sleeper most of the time. She said the mask I have now is kind of bulky. She mentioned she had a brother in law that learned to keep his mouth closed and uses the nasal pillows. I know I snore when I'm on back and my mouth opens slightly.

I'm wondering if anyone has switched from full face to nasal pillows with success or how that could affect my AHI reading. Will I get the correct reading if I open up and snore? :-) Nasal pillows sound a lot more comfortable. And my prescription says mask of patient's choice from the home sleep study. And what nasal pillows have you found that work well for you even tho I realize it's a personal choice and everyone has different face shapes and sleep habits.

wanted to check and see how it went with the new therapist on Monday and how your stats look and if you are sleeping better. hope you got better results with the new RT. :-)
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Help Lowering a Varying AHI for a Newbie rtkierke 16 372 10 hours ago
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
Question New CPAP User - Help Please - ResMed Airsense 11 Autoset Pawpri 17 339 Yesterday, 07:47 AM
Last Post: Old Steve
  Need help with Airsense 10 AutoSet JonUK 2 104 03-25-2024, 06:11 PM
Last Post: JonUK
  newbie looking to get machine dialed in Jpm6179 3 128 03-25-2024, 07:42 AM
Last Post: Jpm6179
  CPAP newbie / OSCAR / study feedback Brad124 4 189 03-23-2024, 08:02 AM
Last Post: Brad124
  Newbie kindly asking for OSCAR analysis ash630 5 199 03-20-2024, 02:08 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  ResMed S9 AutoSet and OSCAR - Help Appreciated Slippy 12 462 03-16-2024, 08:56 AM
Last Post: Slippy

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.