Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

ResMed S9 AutoSet and autostart
ResMed S9 AutoSet and autostart
Does anyone who has played around with the clinician settings know how to get autostart of air flow in AutoSet mode?

Explanation: I have been on a ResMed S9 for over a year now, and am puzzled by a change in behavior.

Original setup was CPAP w/Nasal Pillows, although I moved to full mask shortly thereafter and did not change the settings.

S9/CPAP would autostart i.e. put on the mask and after 3-4 breaths the air would start to flow, take off the mask and after 5-10 seconds air would stop flowing.

About 3 months ago I was switched over to Autoset mode and full mask programmed in by the technician. AHIs have been better with AutoSet, and fewer indidents of waking up.

BUT..., the downside is that S9/AutoSet does not autostart. To start air flowing, I have to press the button, and to stop air flowing I have to press the button.

After the convenience of autostarting, it's annoying. I asked the technician if AutoSet did not have autostart. She shrugged, and said it had something to do with full mask. I changed the setting to pillows but still no autostart.

It looks like AutoSet is the problem, yet it seems like a strange oversight by ResMed to not provide it.

The software is 0602.

If other users with an S9 in Autoset mode do have autostart, would like to know your settings.

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: ResMed S9 AutoSet and autostart
(06-28-2012, 03:34 AM)portajon Wrote: I asked the technician if AutoSet did not have autostart. She shrugged, and said it had something to do with full mask.
Autostart works with either autoset or CPAP mode but you need to enable it in the clinical menu. Autostart doesn't work with full face mask on the earlier S9s but since the upgrade it does work with full face mask. See if you could enable the autostart in the clinical menu (options) if full face mask selected if not then you don,t have the upgraded version. check the video link to get access to the menu
http://www.apneaboard.com/resmed-s9-cpap-setup
Welcome

Post Reply Post Reply
Welcome to Apnea Board!

Unless Auto Start accidentally got changed within the Clinical menu, it sound like your mask isn't compatible with the S9 that you have. The problems with the the Auto start feature didn't get fixed until version 6.03 software. Unfortunately yours is earlier. I don't believe you can get the firmware upgraded, either, but you might check with ResMed customer support. Perhaps there are some full face mask models that may even work with your older software. Again, check with ResMed.
Post Reply Post Reply
> Autostart doesn't work with full face mask on the earlier S9s
> but since the upgrade it does work with full face mask.

Had not realized my S9 was early, it was bought months after its release.

> Unless Auto Start accidentally got changed within the Clinical
> menu, it sound like your mask isn't compatible with the S9
> that you have.

ResMed Quattro.

> The problems with the the Auto start feature didn't get fixed
> until version 6.03 software.

Aaargh! SleepyHead says first use was 1/10/2011, so wonder when machines with 6.03 came out.

> I don't believe you can get the firmware upgraded,

I called the technician and to get a later software release I have to get a new machine. Not only is that primitive in this day and age, but ResMed USA supposedly does not know what software is the latest, or what serial numbers correspond with what release.

Aftermath:

Sat down with the S9 and played with the Clinical Menu. Took it back to the original setting and then fiddled with the alternatives.

Beginning
CPAP/Nasal w/SmartStart On

Change to
AutoSet/Full Mask --> SmartStart Off/Grayed Out

Change to
CPAP/Nasal --------> SmartStart Off
Change to
SmartStart On

Change to
CPAP/Full Mask -----> SmartStart Off/Grayed Out

Change to
AutoSet/Nasal ------> SmartStart Off
Change to
SmartStart On

SmartStart changes in response to the actions, so once it has been grayed out, to get autostart back it is necessary to make a double change: switch the mask to Nasal and reset SmartStart to On.

Don't know how the S9 modifies its calculations based on Nasal vs Full Mask but will stick with Autoset/Nasal for the convenience of autostart.

Thanks for the assist.

Post Reply Post Reply
As far as I know, the latest version is 6.05. At least that's what my S9 has on it that I got about a month ago. At the time, it was the lastest version.

So everything is fine with Smart Start as long as your machine is set for a nasal mask? If so, don't worry about the Rescan or SleepyHead. The only data that may get messed up is the intentional leak data, which is different for a full face mask vs a nasal mask. As long as your AHI is fine, you won't need to look at that.
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-28-2012, 05:14 AM)zonk Wrote: Autostart works with either autoset or CPAP mode but you need to enable it in the clinical menu. Autostart doesn't work with full face mask on the earlier S9s but since the upgrade it does work with full face mask.

Autostart is iffy with a FFM no matter the machine setting because, with the machine not blowing, the anti-asphyxia valve opens and most of the air you inhale or exhale goes out the vent, not down the hose.

If you can the the machine into autostart mode with the FFM, and it doesn't autostart due to the anti-asphyxia vent, you may be able to make it start if you cover the vent with your hand.

You could try lying to the machine and telling it you have a nasal mask, but the auto and EPR function might work a little differently. Your leak rates might be wrong, too.

Get the free OSCAR CPAP software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-28-2012, 10:41 PM)archangle Wrote:
(06-28-2012, 05:14 AM)zonk Wrote: Autostart works with either autoset or CPAP mode but you need to enable it in the clinical menu. Autostart doesn't work with full face mask on the earlier S9s but since the upgrade it does work with full face mask.

Autostart is iffy with a FFM no matter the machine setting because, with the machine not blowing, the anti-asphyxia valve opens and most of the air you inhale or exhale goes out the vent, not down the hose.

If you can the the machine into autostart mode with the FFM, and it doesn't autostart due to the anti-asphyxia vent, you may be able to make it start if you cover the vent with your hand.

You could try lying to the machine and telling it you have a nasal mask, but the auto and EPR function might work a little differently. Your leak rates might be wrong, too.

If what you are saying is true about the anti-asphyxia valve with the FFM causing autostart not to start, how does a mere software change with newer S9's fix the problem? You would think it couldn't.
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-29-2012, 08:05 AM)BabyDoc Wrote: If what you are saying is true about the anti-asphyxia valve with the FFM causing autostart not to start, how does a mere software change with newer S9's fix the problem? You would think it couldn't.

If I take my old S9 set on "nasal", and use a FFM, it may or may not autostart. Sometimes not at all. Sometimes, it will start right away. Sometimes, it will wait a while and then start. If I cover the vent, it will always start. My PRS1 does the same thing, but it doesn't have a FFM setting.

I'm assuming that the anti-asphyxia vents vary in how much air they allow to leak back up the hose when there is no pressure in the hose. Most of the air goes out and in through the vent, not the hose, but there is a little air leaking up the hose. The valve is held tightly closed against the exhaust port when pressure is on. When there is no pressure, it flops back and closes off the air from the hose, but there is no pressure keeping it tightly closed.

The old S9 software turns off the autostart option in the menu if you tell it you have a full face mask. I presume the newer software does not auto disable autostart if you tell it you have a face mask. It's possible they modified the autostart algorithm to work better with FFM than the old version as well.
Get the free OSCAR CPAP software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question New CPAP User - Help Please - ResMed Airsense 11 Autoset Pawpri 22 425 8 minutes ago
Last Post: Pawpri
  Need help with Airsense 10 AutoSet JonUK 2 112 03-25-2024, 06:11 PM
Last Post: JonUK
  ResMed S9 AutoSet and OSCAR - Help Appreciated Slippy 12 473 03-16-2024, 08:56 AM
Last Post: Slippy
  ResMed Airsense 10 AutoSet and Oscar Bucktilley 4 216 03-05-2024, 04:41 PM
Last Post: Bucktilley
Grin [Equipment] JOY! I've been swapped to a ResMed AirSense 10 AutoSet (from a SEFAM S.Box) dbcpap 9 1,242 02-12-2024, 08:41 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
Question Resmed Autoset 10 buzzing noise - what now? mogulman 8 595 01-16-2024, 11:42 AM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  Resmed 11 autoset For Her mode help! HMG7450 10 682 11-15-2023, 10:06 AM
Last Post: OpalRose

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.