Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

ResMed S9 AutoSet machine = noise
ResMed S9 AutoSet machine = noise
I use the ResMed S9 AutoSet machine. My machine is almost 4 years old and up until now has worked fine with very little or no noise during running time. Last night the machine woke me making what is best described as a 'static' noise. The noise from the machine was loud enough to also wake my husband.

At first I thought maybe it was a leak from one of the hoses, either the long or the short hose. I got up and switched out both hoses and a new pair of pillows for my mask. About an hour later the noise from the machine returned and by that time I was wide awake - so I got up.

Does anyone have any idea about what could be wrong with my machine? What kind of noise does this machine make when it the operation of the machine is defective? Don't they last more than 3-4 years?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: ResMed S9 AutoSet machine = noise
Possibly the bearings on the blower motor shaft are excessively worn.
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-19-2016, 01:58 PM)justMongo Wrote: Possibly the bearings on the blower motor shaft are excessively worn.

That was my thought as well. How does one determine that this could be the cause of the noise? And IF it is the cause, would it be cheaper to buy a new machine, out of pocket, rather than invest money to repair a machine that is almost 4 years old? I am in a quandry about knowing what to do.

Post Reply Post Reply
(01-19-2016, 02:09 PM)GrammaBear Wrote: That was my thought as well. How does one determine that this could be the cause of the noise? And IF it is the cause, would it be cheaper to buy a new machine, out of pocket, rather than invest money to repair a machine that is almost 4 years old? I am in a quandry about knowing what to do.

Difficult to determine, short of tearing it apart.
If you cannot tolerate the noise, time to replace; and upgrade to the 10 series. Would not be cost effective to repair.

If paying out-of-pocket; and cost is an issue, then you could likely pick up a zero or low hour S9 replacement from Supplier #2.
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
The machine is 4 years old and out of warranty but I don't expect the machine to fall apart

Unplug the machine, remove the water tank and take everything apart
Put it back again and plug it, change the air filter too
Try and see what happen

If the annoying noise persists, talk to someone, doctor, DME, insurance
Don't they have have to repair the machine or get you a new one? no two way about it Smile
Insurance replace the machine every 5 years but CPAP is medical necessity
Life depend on it, being in a good working order is essential

Post Reply Post Reply
I believe most insurance companies will cover the cost of a machine before 5 years in case of out of warranty and broken. check, and if they say no, appeal.
هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه  هههههه
Tongue Suck Technique for prevention of mouth breathing:
  • Place your tongue behind your front teeth on the roof of your mouth
  • let your tongue fill the space between the upper molars
  • gently suck to form a light vacuum

Practising during the day can help you to keep it at night

هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه  هههههه
Post Reply Post Reply
from one of the supplier websites:
Quote:Tip 8 – Check Your Insurance Coverage

Insurance will typically cover a new CPAP every 5-6 years. If it has been less than 5 years you could still be covered. Some policies will cover a new CPAP as long as you can prove it is broken. The only downside is replacing your CPAP through insurance can take a long time. So if you feel like your CPAP isn’t working like it used to, you’ll want to get a head start and check your coverage ASAP.
Tongue Suck Technique for prevention of mouth breathing:
  • Place your tongue behind your front teeth on the roof of your mouth
  • let your tongue fill the space between the upper molars
  • gently suck to form a light vacuum

Practising during the day can help you to keep it at night

Post Reply Post Reply
Hi GrammaBear,
I wish you good luck on your machine decision, Hopefully you can get the one you have now working.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Exclaimation CPAP Machine Choices - read this before you accept a new machine SuperSleeper 291 264,098 Yesterday, 05:00 PM
Last Post: Poolboy
  [Equipment] Battery power source for ResMed machine MaskedOne 8 156 04-12-2024, 04:42 PM
Last Post: MaskedOne
Question New CPAP User - Help Please - ResMed Airsense 11 Autoset Pawpri 44 1,294 04-05-2024, 08:17 AM
Last Post: Pawpri
  [Treatment] ResMed Autoset 11 Settings Optimization anker9000 0 125 04-02-2024, 11:34 AM
Last Post: anker9000
  Need help with Airsense 10 AutoSet JonUK 2 189 03-25-2024, 06:11 PM
Last Post: JonUK
  Airmini noise question sfr79 38 21,135 03-20-2024, 09:22 PM
Last Post: Blausser
Video [Equipment] Resmed AS10 Water Chamber Noise SOLUTION fixed it 0 181 03-18-2024, 12:36 PM
Last Post: fixed it

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.