Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

ResMed S9 Mask Setting Option Result
ResMed S9 Mask Setting Option Result
Does anybody know what happens if you are using one type of a mask and you have the S9 set to another type? Besides controlling maximum flow rates, does it determine the reporting of leaks?

I've gone through various posts about the setting of the mask option on the S9, and the links to the flow rates for each mask, but I have yet to find any discussion about any additional result.
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: ResMed S9 Mask Setting Option Result
The mask type setting is used so that the machine knows the pressure drop for the mask. This helps it to calculate the mask pressure.

A while ago I messed up and forgot to change the mask type on my machine and found a data stream that it did affect. I posted a thread about it but now can not find the thread and do not remember what it was that was affected. <sigh>

Best Regards,

PaytonA

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
Actually, primarily, it's so the system knows the mask vent rate versus pressure. And, therefore, it can properly calculate the untended leak rate.

Secondarily, it may have an effect on the FOT algorithm that scores the type of apnea.
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
Nasal mask vs nasal pillows, I don't think it would be that much of a difference in settings. But if you are wearing a full face mask, it must be set to that. I think it has to do with the space and the leak rate. Because the machine can compensate for the leak rate (up to a point), in knowing the basic guideline in knowing what mask you are using, the machine can do a better job.

Payton, you can see a list of your threads and can look through them vs going down through the forum itself. Click your name then 'search for threads'. But you only have a little over 1000 posts. Surely it can't be that hard to find.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks Paula,

I found the post that I was thinking of. The only problem was that it was not the mask type that I had gotten wrong but the hose descriptor. Oh well, old age does have its problems.

Best Regards,

PaytonA

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-02-2014, 11:52 AM)sgearhart Wrote: Does anybody know what happens if you are using one type of a mask and you have the S9 set to another type? Besides controlling maximum flow rates, does it determine the reporting of leaks?
Yes but not by much
The S9 does the calculation and report unintentional leak
unintentional leak = total leak minus intentional leak

ResMed http://www.resmed.eu/assets/documents/se...er_eng.pdf

Respironcis http://www.healthcare.philips.com/pwc_hc...111027.pdf

F&P ... their link is not working and they like to keep things secret

Post Reply Post Reply
Zonk, can you use your alien magical powers of the linkage to find a more updated Respironics one? It doesn't have the Nuance on it.
PaulaO

Post Reply Post Reply
My two different Resmed books state to use plain 'pillows', 'nasal', or "FFM" if your actual mask is not listed. - So just to go by type.
*I* am not a DOCTOR or any type of Health Care Professional.  My thoughts/suggestions/ideas are strictly only my opinions.

"Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you. Jesus Christ and the American Soldier. One died for your Soul, the other for your Freedom."
Post Reply Post Reply
The reason I first asked the question is because during the night I wake up and want to switch the mask type. Being bleary-eyed, I don't feel like trying change the machine setting. Can you say "LAZY"?
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
What machine setting do you want to change in the middle of the night?
PaulaO

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question Not Sure if Setting Changes Helping - Help Appreciated! WiscoKate 6 148 03-25-2024, 11:54 AM
Last Post: WiscoKate
  Finally had a PSG instead of a PG and the result shocked me mugen4u 47 3,024 03-25-2024, 08:00 AM
Last Post: TechieHippie
  [Equipment] Should I turn on the AB Filter option on my AirSense 10 AutoSet for these filters? cLoo 10 837 03-22-2024, 01:34 AM
Last Post: stevew168
  Setting time and date on Resmed Airsense 10 cmadon 42 32,173 03-08-2024, 09:13 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  AirSense 10 Max Pressure setting Tomt 13 855 03-04-2024, 07:11 PM
Last Post: Tomt
  Using DreamWisp Nasal Mask With ResMed AirSense 11 Avign0n323 2 338 01-31-2024, 01:17 PM
Last Post: Avign0n323
  Resmed Airfit P30i Nasal Pillows Mask Leak Question fuzz 2 483 01-25-2024, 03:10 PM
Last Post: fuzz

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.