Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

ResMed S9 Noise
ResMed S9 Noise
Good afternoon.

I purchased a ResMed S9 Used to replace my Philips Resperonics that keeps having alarms all night.

The Quatro Air mask was missing the band and the hose connection piece. So I used the Amara Mask that I've been using.

I don't know if it was the mask or the ResMed, but every time I took a breath, the mask wheezed. Is that the machine or the mask?

I tried plugging the holes in the mask, and that didn't make any difference. If it is a bad machine, I need to know so I can get rid of it.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: ResMed S9 Noise
My Res Med S9 is very very very quiet. When I was using a Swift FX mask the Swift exhaust made more noise than the machine. Now I'm using the P10 mask. It makes no noise and I can barely hear the S9.
"Sometimes the magic works . . . and sometimes it doesn't" -- Chief Dan George in the movie Little Big Man
Post Reply Post Reply
They are both quiet, but the ResMed machines make a different noise than the PR machines do. Maybe you're used to the PR noise, and the RM noise is new to you and therefore bothersome.
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-05-2014, 03:08 PM)Zorki1c Wrote: My Res Med S9 is very very very quiet. When I was using a Swift FX mask the Swift exhaust made more noise than the machine. Now I'm using the P10 mask. It makes no noise and I can barely hear the S9.

Thanks for the info
The ResMed S9 makes me sound like Darth Vader with a whistle. The same mask on my Reperonics was super quite with the same mask. Except, of course, when it wakes you up 10-12 times a night. with alarms and turning off and on.
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-05-2014, 02:26 PM)shadybiz11 Wrote: I tried plugging the holes in the mask, and that didn't make any difference. If it is a bad machine, I need to know so I can get rid of it.

Be VERY careful about plugging the holes in the mask! They are engineered precisely for our survival!!

Somewhere on here is a link stating this very important subject! Please, be careful in this regard!!
A good laugh and a long sleep are the best cures....
Post Reply Post Reply
try a different hose.... I've had hose whistle in the past. also, I was using one of those plastic elbows to change the angle of the hose, and it caused a whistle.

with one combination of elbows and hoses with too much ridge, I could have the machine on, no mask on the end, and turn off the machine, and I'd get a decreasing series of tones out of the hose.

to see if it's just a noisy machine, take everything off of it, put it on 'mask check' and plug up the output.... it should be nearly silent. then open up the output, and listen to the rushing noise, and turn it off... then try it with a hose attached.... I wrapped some cloth over the end to muffle the sound and provide some back pressure so the mask check turned green.... and things were very quiet.

Post Reply Post Reply
(06-05-2014, 03:24 PM)shadybiz11 Wrote: The ResMed S9 makes me sound like Darth Vader with a whistle. The same mask on my Reperonics was super quite with the same mask. Except, of course, when it wakes you up 10-12 times a night. with alarms and turning off and on.
Respironcis machines gives beeping sound for different reasons
'Mask Alert' alarm is common occurrence when large leak is detected, can be set to 'on or off'
If the alarm is due to leak, you need to sorted it out, waking up so many times affect the quality of treatment received and sleep

On the S9, there is a mask type selection ... 'Full Face for full face mask". Default setting set on 'Pillow'

The noise is very common problem with some machines, Resmed fully aware of the problem. I don,t think they are going to do a recall as the S9 is very popular at the moment, maybe they get the noise sorted it out with the next S10 which is due soon

If the noise is loud enough affecting your sleep, have the machine checked, replaced, or get a refund (if still under the 2 years warranty period)

Edit: Check 'Device Alert' ... pages 12/13/14
http://respironicsremstars.respironics.c...Manual.pdf

Post Reply Post Reply
(06-05-2014, 02:26 PM)shadybiz11 Wrote: Good afternoon.

I purchased a ResMed S9 Used to replace my Philips Resperonics that keeps having alarms all night.

The Quatro Air mask was missing the band and the hose connection piece. So I used the Amara Mask that I've been using.

I don't know if it was the mask or the ResMed, but every time I took a breath, the mask wheezed. Is that the machine or the mask?

I tried plugging the holes in the mask, and that didn't make any difference. If it is a bad machine, I need to know so I can get rid of it.

Awwww Shady, don't be plugging up the drain holes in your mask! That could alter the CO2 content in your blood and that would not be a good thing. Plug your ears maybe, but not the holes in your mask.
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-05-2014, 02:26 PM)shadybiz11 Wrote: I tried plugging the holes in the mask, and that didn't make any difference. If it is a bad machine, I need to know so I can get rid of it.

Don't do that. The only way fresh air gets into the system is if stale air is exhausted. That's what the holes are for.

No holes = no fresh air.
Post Reply Post Reply
Put on mask and turn on machine. Wait for noise to start. Put blanket or pillows over machine but leave enough space for machine to breathe. Go to the end of the hose and listen for noise. If you still hear it, it's the mask. If you don't, it's the machine.

Some S9s have a whistle that has never really been tracked down to one specific place.

There's some things to try if it is the machine.
Make sure the door on the humidifier is all the way down. Make sure there's no water on top of the humidifier tub. It doesn't often matter but let's eliminate it.
Make sure the filter is in correctly and is clean.

After that, if it still whistles, take it back and exchange.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Airmini noise question sfr79 38 20,260 03-20-2024, 09:22 PM
Last Post: Blausser
Video [Equipment] Resmed AS10 Water Chamber Noise SOLUTION fixed it 0 88 03-18-2024, 12:36 PM
Last Post: fixed it
  Breas Z2 - mask question/air noise sallym 0 142 03-07-2024, 04:17 PM
Last Post: sallym
  [Equipment] Loud noise from AirFit F20 mask SleepyLuke 2 1,603 03-04-2024, 12:38 AM
Last Post: SleepyLuke
  [CPAP] Resmed airmini noise NYKP44 0 356 02-09-2024, 01:27 PM
Last Post: NYKP44
Question Resmed Autoset 10 buzzing noise - what now? mogulman 8 594 01-16-2024, 11:42 AM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  [Equipment] Airsense 10 Noise tblaster 4 344 01-15-2024, 10:44 AM
Last Post: tblaster

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.