Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Does stress affect our sleep apnea numbers?
Does stress affect our sleep apnea numbers?
Without explaining the whole story, I was wondering whether stress can affect our sleep apnea numbers? In recent days my stress level has increased a great deal and so has my AHI, which hasn't been bad up to this point.

Anyone here experienced this?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Does stress affect our sleep apnea numbers?
Yep, and yes it does, don't sweat that. Stress drives a lot of things, even in sleep, so take it into account when looking at your numbers.
Post Reply Post Reply
Don't have a long track record yet, but I would say that my answer would also be YES. I have noticed my numbers are higher on a more stressful day.

However, getting more and more comfortable with treatment, so hopefully the effect will become less and less.
Post Reply Post Reply
When I have a particularly stressful day, my AHI numbers will be up.
Stress affects every aspect of your life, and ultimately how you sleep.
I try to avoid stress...ha,ha...easy advice, but hard to do!
I pray you have better and less stressful days ahead. Dreaming
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-19-2015, 06:27 AM)GrammaBear Wrote: Without explaining the whole story, I was wondering whether stress can affect our sleep apnea numbers? In recent days my stress level has increased a great deal and so has my AHI, which hasn't been bad up to this point.

Hey Gramma, how have you been? Well, other than the stress thingy anyhow.

I suppose stress could goof up sleep numbers, but I don't know because I make it a point to not do stress.

In your case, what you might try is whacking Grampabear up beside the head with your iron skillet. That might reduce the stress. It seems to work for Mrs. R_G.
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-19-2015, 01:24 PM)retired_guy Wrote: In your case, what you might try is whacking Grampabear up beside the head with your iron skillet. That might reduce the stress. It seems to work for Mrs. R_G.

That would explain the brain damage.
(R_G, you shouldn't give me straight lines like that!)
[Image: jump.gif]
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-19-2015, 01:24 PM)retired_guy Wrote:
(05-19-2015, 06:27 AM)GrammaBear Wrote: Without explaining the whole story, I was wondering whether stress can affect our sleep apnea numbers? In recent days my stress level has increased a great deal and so has my AHI, which hasn't been bad up to this point.

Hey Gramma, how have you been? Well, other than the stress thingy anyhow.

I suppose stress could goof up sleep numbers, but I don't know because I make it a point to not do stress.

In your case, what you might try is whacking Grampabear up beside the head with your iron skillet. That might reduce the stress. It seems to work for Mrs. R_G.

R_G ~ My Grampabear is part of the reason I'm super stressed lately. Last Friday he came home from his 2nd shift job, told me "my belly hurts bad." This is from someone who is 69 yrs old, still works full time, takes absolutely no medication and has a really high pain tolerance.

Took him to the ER immediately where they ran a multitude of tests including a CT scan. He ended up 6 hrs later having his appendix removed.

He is one of the fortunate few who had the good graces to pick good genetics and this is the 2nd time in his life he has been in the hospital.

In addition I'm stressing over my own physical problems which are going to be ongoing for quite a while.

You know - it sure helps to come here and read a laugh and share with you folks. Thanks for the smile.

Post Reply Post Reply
Well tell Grampabear we're sorry to hear he lost his appendix, but not to worry, you can pick those things up at Wally World for a song......

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Apnea has gotten worse recently, I have no sleep study, can I just buy a cpcp? replayablecontent 12 217 Yesterday, 12:38 PM
Last Post: replayablecontent
  [Pressure] Switching to automatic raised AHI numbers Leitrim 4 115 03-26-2024, 03:20 PM
Last Post: Leitrim
  Collars for positional sleep apnea Jimasripper 17 348 03-25-2024, 10:05 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Invisalign to help sleep apnea and dental extractions as a cause of sleep apnea SingleH 10 608 03-24-2024, 07:00 PM
Last Post: stevew168
  Sleep Apnea or Something Else? RoughriderTR 6 287 03-23-2024, 04:43 PM
Last Post: ButtonNoseBarbie
  Obstructive Sleep Apnea After Stroke Help MB123 1 74 03-23-2024, 01:08 PM
Last Post: Dormeo
  Dental appliance for sleep apnea???? mrpat 4 123 03-23-2024, 08:54 AM
Last Post: mrpat

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.