Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

ResMed S9 Overheating
ResMed S9 Overheating
I have been using a ResMed S9 since December of 2012. Within the last six months I have had instances when the machine has overheated, sometimes displaying a message confirming the condition. This has happened with water in the on-board water tank. In other cases the machine has come on by itself with the mask completely unobstructed. I had taken this machine in to my provider (an affiliate of the dominant medical group in my region) complaining of the overheating. They read my data card and returned the S9, believing there was no problem. During May 2015 this happened causing the machine to run unattended for some four hours. Fortunately, I walked into my bedroom and noticed an odor resembling an electronic part or circuit board overheating. After noticing that the unobstructed mask was pushing out a full air volume I shut the machine down manually. I found the case extremely hot to the touch, but was able to disconnect the power cord. The water tank was completely empty. Has anyone else experienced this overheating problem with the ResMed S9?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: ResMed S9 Overhating
Sounds like a malfunction to me. The machine should not turn on by itself.

I would at the least turn off the SmartStart feature though that really should not be the issue.

What is the environment like? Smoking? Lots of Dust? Issues with line spikes and other electrical issue. Pets that can step on buttons? Does the unit sit on a flat surface?

[size=x-small]Current Settings PS 4.0 over 10.6-18.0 (cmH2O) BiLevel Auto
Post Reply Post Reply
Filter clear?
Using FlashAir W-03 SD card in machine. You can download your data through wifi with FlashPAP or Sleep Master utilities.

I wanted to learn Binary so I enrolled in Binary 101. I seemed to have missed the first four courses. Big Grinnie

Stick it to the man, Download OSCAR and take back control of your data!

Thanks Ian. Like I didn't have enough Honey-Do projects to tackle. Mornincoffee
Post Reply Post Reply
I don't even like it when my computer turns on all by itself. So this S9 has to go.

It's under warranty, so back to the DME with ya and tell them to make good on the warranty because it is a fire hazard, and you are sure they really don't want to take the liability for something toasting your house. If they still think it's not a great idea to swap the machine out, ask them for a note stating they will be responsible for building you a new house. Or better yet, find a new DME.

Post Reply Post Reply
The power brick may run quite hot; the machine should not. A sure sign the machine is Kaput.
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
No smoking in house, no pets, unit is on flat surface bedside stand. Please excuse the spelling error in title. Don't know about line spikes, but no other problems with other appliances, such as my PC. Just my opinion but if Smart Start" is designed into the machine; should it not work without causing this problem?
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-19-2015, 01:28 PM)Rustylad Wrote: Just my opinion but if Smart Start" is designed into the machine; should it not work without causing this problem?

Of course it should.

So, if the machine is coming on by itself, it really doesn't matter why. It's broken.
Post Reply Post Reply
I had called my physician on this problem. He works for that regional hospital group affiliated with my CPAP provider. The provider had sent my machine to the groups hospital medical equipment technicians for examination last week. My doctor informed me by telephone today that my machine will be replaced with the newer model ResMed without cost to me. I intend to ask for a report on exactly what their technicians found when they examined my unit.

The original advice I had from the provider staff was that I had to call ResMed myself for any advice or adjustments on the machine. I complied with their advice, only to find that ResMed uses recorded message menus to direct you to your vendor for any service or purchase adjustments.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: ResMed S9 Overheating
(05-19-2015, 01:45 PM)Rustylad Wrote: I intend to ask for a report on exactly what their technical group found when the examined my unit.
Chances you will never get that because they won't bother. They won't bother fixing it as they would not be able to use it for anyone else, too old.

Quote:The original advice I had from the provider staff was that I had to call ResMed myself for any advice or adjustments on the machine. I complied with their advice only to find that ResMed uses recorded message menus to direct you to your vendor for any service or purchase adjustments.
You are not the customer of Resmed, the DME is. The advise (DME) they gave you was either naive or intentionally trying to dismiss you hoping you would go away.

[size=x-small]Current Settings PS 4.0 over 10.6-18.0 (cmH2O) BiLevel Auto
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: ResMed S9 Overheating
(05-19-2015, 02:02 PM)Rustylad Wrote: My doctor informed me by telephone today that my machine will be replaced with the newer model ResMed without cost to me.

That should take care of the problem alright. Good job Rusty.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Flashair Card Overheating jsielke 11 2,706 04-11-2017, 09:44 AM
Last Post: jsielke
Ohmy Does overheating cause sleep apnea? woozie38 12 6,570 07-09-2016, 05:44 PM
Last Post: woozie38

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.