Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

ResMed S9 SD Card "Invalid SD Card, erase card data?"
RE: ResMed S9 SD Card "Invalid SD Card, erase card data?"
(05-24-2014, 02:24 PM)denrush Wrote: I did the above now I would like to restore my patient data saved on the PC back onto the SD card. I can not see a way to do that in the RESCAN software menu.

Yeah, you really can't do that. But not to worry! Just put your card back in the Resmed machine and it will restock it with all the data that's fit to eat. The only thing it doesn't put back on the card is the detailed graph stuff. That stuff is only retained on the card for 7 days anyhow, so the Resmed will start plopping it back out there tonight, and in a week the card will be fully populated once again.

Post Reply Post Reply
I had the same issue.
http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...2#pid80012

Very annoyed at this point.
I think it is a major deficiency that ResScan cannot re-populate/rebuild the SD card.

Also, I have noticed that the SD card has enough room to hold FAR more data than is now being held on it. ResMed is needlessly erasing valid, useful information.

One thing I have decided is that from now on, I am going to copy the SD card folders onto the laptop every time I have it in the computer.

Too late now; I have lost data that I needed my doc to look at in a couple of weeks--to show him what my patterns are over time--AND to be able to see my breathing pattern during the apnea clusters I still have. Thumbs down on ResMed.

^^ just realized that is a bit incorrect..since ResMed erases the detailed data except for the last week, so doc can't see the old stuff anyway. And that is another reason I believe their implementation is seriously deficient. The card should continue to hold ALL data, then erase only the oldest as it is needed for new data to be written--and that would not happen until "way downstream" in use.
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-17-2014, 12:59 PM)jcarerra Wrote: I had the same issue.
http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...2#pid80012

Very annoyed at this point.
I think it is a major deficiency that ResScan cannot re-populate/rebuild the SD card.

Also, I have noticed that the SD card has enough room to hold FAR more data than is now being held on it. ResMed is needlessly erasing valid, useful information.

One thing I have decided is that from now on, I am going to copy the SD card folders onto the laptop every time I have it in the computer.

Too late now; I have lost data that I needed my doc to look at in a couple of weeks--to show him what my patterns are over time--AND to be able to see my breathing pattern during the apnea clusters I still have. Thumbs down on ResMed.

You must have the worlds least busiest doctor. I've never actually encountered one that would spend any time whatsoever reviewing detailed anything.

But not to fear! Just print out all the reports from your Sleepyhead software and take them to the doctor. He'll be able to ignore those every bit as quickly as he would ignore your sdcard.

and yes, Resmed is the bad guy because afterall if their card reader cannot for some reason read our sdcard without reformatting it when we have done something to it, then they need to take a lesson from Microsoft as to proper care and concern of user devices and data.

Post Reply Post Reply
Well, you see, the problem with Sleepyhead is that i haven't installed it yet, and now there is no data to give to it...well there is one night's worth.
Post Reply Post Reply
This problem is apparently caused by Win8 writing data ( I think it's the System Volume Information folder) to the card when you insert it in your computer's card reader. I haven't hear of it affecting older Win versions.

The ResMed card reader will reject any card that has data on it that wasn't written there by the ResMed device. I am not aware of any system other than Win8 that causes this problem. I think there is a way to set your Win8 system to prevent this but I don't have it at hand right now. I remember it had to do with the indexing function and I think the answer may be to disable file indexing on the computer. However, the easier way to try is to lock the SD card before sliding it into the computer reader. That doesn't work on all computers though since some readers ignore the slide switch lock setting and go ahead and write to the card anyway. Go ahead and try it and you may get lucky.
Post Reply Post Reply
I don't have access to a Win8 box today but I just did an experiment with my Win7 system and wrote a hidden file to the ResMed SD card. Sure enough, the S9 reader offered to format it. Then I put the card back in my puter and deleted the hidden file and then the S9 took it without a squawk. Soooo..if you're having trouble getting the SD card accepted by the PAP machine, you can probably set your computer view to allow viewing hidden files and manually delete any files or folders on the SD card that aren't ResMed. I think the only hidden ResMed file is the journal.dat file, leave that one and dump all other hidden ones. Do be careful and don't dump anything other than the alien hidden files. Check the attributes before deleting anything just to be sure.
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-17-2014, 02:21 PM)surferdude2 Wrote: I am not aware of any system other than Win8 that causes this problem. I think there is a way to set your Win8 system to prevent this but I don't have it at hand right now.

Macs can do this, too. I'm not sure of what conditions make it do this.

There's some info in the links in my signature line about how to reconfigure Win8.

(08-17-2014, 02:21 PM)surferdude2 Wrote: That doesn't work on all computers though since some readers ignore the slide switch lock setting and go ahead and write to the card anyway. Go ahead and try it and you may get lucky.

It may just be SD card readers with broken switches, not a deliberate "ignore the switch" design. I don't know if the problem is actually that common.

(08-17-2014, 02:43 PM)surferdude2 Wrote: I don't have access to a Win8 box today but I just did an experiment with my Win7 system and wrote a hidden file to the ResMed SD card.

I think Win8 automatically does search indexing on SD cards by default. You can turn it on in Win7, but it doesn't come that way by defaults.
Get the free OSCAR CPAP software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply
This is absolutely correct. Windows 8 and 8.1 write a hidden folder onto the SD card if it is inserted with write protect in write mode; then the CPAP rejects it and demands to erase the card.

Good grief.

Here is how to delete the hidden folder if you manage to remove the SD before the CPAP does the erase:

Open a COMMAND WINDOW by typing CMD in the 'RUN' box, or by searching for CMD.

Navigate to the ROOT of the SD card (for me this was 'E:')
E: <enter>
Type attrib -S -H -R "System Volume Information" <enter>

You will then need to delete any files in the directory...

type cd "System Volume Information" <enter>
type del *.* <enter>

You can then remove the directory

type cd\
type rd "System Volume Information"

Remove the SD card and switch write lock ON if you want to put the SD back in the Win 8 computer.
Don't EVER stick the ResMed SD card into a Win 8 computer with write protect off
or you will be back in the same fix.

Another reason I HATE Windows 8.1.

ref
http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...-windows-8

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windo...d0080a36fb
Post Reply Post Reply
I've done considerable research (spelled fiddling around) on this issue and it looks like the ResMed machine will refuse any card that has a file dated differently than the latest date in the hidden journal.dat file. Apparently the machine's system references that file when first reading the card and it better find the file dates of all files onboard to be in agreement with what had been written to the journal.dat file. That pretty much stops you from using the card for anythings else even though it has plenty of free space.
Post Reply Post Reply
Here is how to disable Windows 8.1 from writing the System Volume Information folder onto your SD card...

Read it all...

http://www.thewindowsclub.com/prevent-sy...folder-usb
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  ResMed 10 Card-to-Cloud: no cellular device NelsonM 20 3,041 03-14-2024, 10:08 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  What happens when SD card fills? - Resmed Airsense 10 Craigtech 1 229 03-10-2024, 04:12 PM
Last Post: stevew168
  [CPAP] BMC G3 A20 SD Card English Language file aabman 12 2,043 03-07-2024, 11:32 PM
Last Post: Psychotech
  SD Card in AirSense 11 missing data larryh 2 170 03-06-2024, 08:54 PM
Last Post: larryh
Cool [Diagnosis] Hello! Hola! New to CPAP, first night of SD card (Help Appreciated!) punkrockcholo 29 2,138 03-06-2024, 12:59 PM
Last Post: Dormeo
  Help Interpreting Resmed Aircurve 10 VAuto Data fracturedhibernation 1 244 02-23-2024, 03:07 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
Question ResMed AirSense 10 SD Card reuse? uselessdetails 3 414 02-16-2024, 02:51 PM
Last Post: srlevine1

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.