Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

ResMed S9 VPAP Adapt SV for Complex SA
ResMed S9 VPAP Adapt SV for Complex SA
Hi Folks
I'm supposed to be getting a new ResMed S9 VPAP Adapt SV tomorrow and I was wondering how long has the older ResMed VPAP Adapt SV been discontinued. (not the S9 version) I have A RresMed S9 Autoset now that I've been using about a year but it's causing quite a few Centrals, with 98% of the nights being over 50% Centrals and over 50% of the nights being over 75% Centrals.
One night 100% of all my events were Centrals. I've been going to a good sleep center for a few months now and they have finally decided to go the ASV route as the only way to get the Centrals under control.

Ratt
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: ResMed S9 VPAP Adapt SV for Complex SA
(03-04-2013, 08:26 PM)Pete Wrote: I've been going to a good sleep center for a few months now and they have finally decided to go the ASV route as the only way to get the Centrals under control.

Ratt
Did you had new sleep study to confirm the diagnosis of central sleep apnea or just going by the S9 AutoSet reports

Post Reply Post Reply
The S9s have been out for a lot of years. I'm not sure if they stop production of the S8s when the S9s started or if they keep them around for a while.

The S8s have proprietary memory cards that require a special reader. I suggest you avoid them and get the S9.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
(03-04-2013, 09:05 PM)zonk Wrote:
(03-04-2013, 08:26 PM)Pete Wrote: I've been going to a good sleep center for a few months now and they have finally decided to go the ASV route as the only way to get the Centrals under control.

Ratt
Did you had new sleep study to confirm the diagnosis of central sleep apnea or just going by the S9 AutoSet reports

Yes I did... Actually I had a home sleep study first, then an overnight one at the sleep lab. Both confirmed Central Apneas as my predominant type. i just got my new machine this morning; a new ResMed S9 VPAP Adapt SV --looks good, hope it works good.
Post Reply Post Reply
Pete, I had the older model about three years ago. It was a monster and was prescribed for me because it could reach the pressure of 30. This one did not give AHI data, it only had a alarms (this was the US model) and supported ventilation. Not sure if that's the right term. Zonk, because of the expense an ASV is generally not prescribed unless you have failed other therapies and have been in close communication with your doctor. I'm sure not everyone has this experience. I did not have much central apnea, but many hypopneas, we could not get my average below 18.6 for six months. The previous six months it was over 25. My doctor believed it was due to medicines I take.To get back to your question, Pete, I don't know how long ago it was dc'd, but I had one three years ago. You will like the new one. When I started ASV I figured I'd give it six months to a year until I achieved oiptimum therapy. At the six month mark I was good to go.
I have the respironics and I love it. My ahi is now 4-8 after 13 months.
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-04-2013, 08:26 PM)Pete Wrote: Hi Folks
I'm supposed to be getting a new ResMed S9 VPAP Adapt SV tomorrow

Yeah yeah make me jealous Annoyed-and-disappointed

Quote: and I was wondering how long has the older ResMed VPAP Adapt SV been discontinued. (not the S9 version)

The user manual has a code on the first page saying 228234-Eng/3 08 10. I take that as 08 or 10 are probably representative of the year. ResMed seems to list the year before the month in many instances so it would probably be 2008. In the S9 line there is a VPAP Adapt, but as for VPAP Adapt SV, I've scanned all available documents from many countries. I don't see an S9 version.

This doesn't say how long it was discontinued.
Actually as far as I can tell it is still being made.
Although it does resemble the S8 line somewhat, it isn't given an S8 designation and as I said, there is no "S9" version from what I've found.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Pete,
Hope you have much success with the new machine.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
The S9 version of variable PAP for treating central sleep apnea is the S9 VPAP Adapt with ASV.

http://www.resmed.com/us/products/s9_vpa...c=patients

The VPAP ST-A, VPAP S, and the VPAP ST are bilevel machines. The VPAP S and the VPAP Auto are touted as being for "noncompliant OSA patients".

PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
That doesn't seem fair, the premium machines prescribed for noncompliant patients. It should be the other way around. You get a brick (none should be without data capability) until you prove compliance, then you get to choose among available models. My former DME tech told me I wouldn't believe how many machines end up in the closet. But, then maybe they've got a point. If they gave everyone an AUTO, a comfortable machine to use, maybe more folks would use them. If Bilevel and AUTO were not more comfortable why did they include EPR or flex models? I had a VPAP Auto 25 which was quite a versatile machine, it would operate in CPAP, Bilevel and AUTO modes. I used to consider CPAP the most comfortable for me and the pressure changes bothered me, but that is until I got my ASV. The ASV has been a life changer for me. For the first time the past year has been a joy. It took a little while, but my stubborn depression resolved and for the first time I am consistently awake and alert throughout the day.
Pete, will you give us progress reports as you use the new machine?
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-04-2013, 08:26 PM)Pete Wrote: Hi Folks
I'm supposed to be getting a new ResMed S9 VPAP Adapt SV tomorrow and I was wondering how long has the older ResMed VPAP Adapt SV been discontinued. (not the S9 version)

I think the first S9 VPAP Adapt SV was introduced early 2011, but in November 2012 a newer model started being manufactured which is enhanced to have one of the features of the Respironics PR System One BiPap Auto SV Advanced, which can automatically adjust not only the the Pressure Support but can also automatically adjust the bottom pressure (EPAP = Exhalation Positive Airway Pressure).

Unlike the ResMed S9 AutoSet and other APAP machines, the older S9 VPAP Adapt SV was not capable of automatically adjusting the EPAP. The ability (of the S9 VPAP Adapt SV machines manufactured starting November 2012 and the Respironics PR System One BiPap Auto SV Advanced machines) to automatically adjust the EPAP means they may treat obstructive apneas better than the older model S9 VPAP Adapt SV. During Sleep Lab titrations, the EPAP should have been adjusted to eliminate Obstructive events, but if you happen not to have had any severe obstructive events during the titration study, then your EPAP may not have been adjusted high enough.

The top pressure (IPAP = Inhalation Positive Airway Pressure) is always the sum of the bottom pressure plus the automatically self-adjusting Pressure Support.

If your machine is the newer model then on the back of the machine under the serial number it will show 36037. The Older model S9 VPAP Adapt SV will show 36007. (The *model number* changed but the *model name* did not.)

Take care,
--- Vaughn

The Advisory Member group provides advice and suggestions to Apnea Board administrators and staff on matters concerning Apnea Board operation and administrative policies.  Membership in the Advisory Member group should not be understood as in any way implying medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Aircurve 10 ST-A and Lumis 150 VPAP ST-A just a UK branding difference? SingleH 37 2,244 03-18-2024, 07:51 AM
Last Post: SingleH
  Complex Sleep Apnea? Suggestions? Unkikonki 55 2,933 03-08-2024, 08:35 PM
Last Post: stevew168
  [split] Central and Complex apneas with CPAP JohnCondor 3 281 02-16-2024, 01:24 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Complex Sleep Apnea: Help Analysing OSCAR and advises C3POap 4 326 01-14-2024, 11:40 AM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Resmed s9 VPAP auto issue steven7685 0 315 11-17-2023, 03:14 PM
Last Post: steven7685
  Capabilities of ResMed S9 VPAP for treating UARS TryingToGetItRight 7 635 10-06-2023, 01:39 PM
Last Post: McDee
  Quick question for anyone with AirCurve 10 VPAP njf1525 4 630 08-01-2023, 10:22 AM
Last Post: njf1525

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.