Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

ResMed S9 fails
Question 
ResMed S9 fails
A curious situation with my nearly-new ResMed S9.

The S9 stopped pumping air after several hours. The display showed the ResMed logo going on and off. The buttons were unresponsive. When I turned it on several hours later, it worked normally.

I looked at the data with ResScan. It appeared unremarkable.

Anyone have similar behaviour? Loosing air suddenly is very uncomfortable!
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: ResMed S9 fails
(09-16-2013, 11:20 PM)geoffleach Wrote: A curious situation with my nearly-new ResMed S9.

The S9 stopped pumping air after several hours. The display showed the ResMed logo going on and off. The buttons were unresponsive. When I turned it on several hours later, it worked normally.

I looked at the data with ResScan. It appeared unremarkable.

Anyone have similar behaviour? Loosing air suddenly is very uncomfortable!

That had to be very scary! I am curious....can you describe how you have your CPAP set up and the location of all of the components/power supply, etc.?

That being said, is your CPAP set up for smart start? I believe I read someone else had this problem or a similar one and when they turned off the smart start, it didn't happen again.

Your machine is new so it wouldn't hurt for you to take it back. Also, you can call Resmed and see what they say.

Hope this helps a little
Post Reply Post Reply
The S9 sits on the nightstand next to the bed. The air tube is laid across the top of the bed.

I do have Smart Start enabled. I'll keep that in mind should it start happening again. Last night it did not happen, thankfully.
Post Reply Post Reply
Glad it didn't happen last night. Is your power supply on the nightstand as well?
Post Reply Post Reply
I was told by an RT at a DME (and I don't know if this is true or not since some of the info she imparted was completely wrong) that similar malfunction can be caused by the power brick being placed too close to the S9 (overheating unit) or by the power brick being placed in a cramped, unventilated area (power brick overheating). She warned to place the power brick away from the machine and out in the open where heat could dissipate; which I do as a matter of course - being all too familiar with overheating power bricks because of past ownership of an HP laptop.

I don't know if this could have been the problem or not; but, if I were you I'd call ResMed for an explanation and/or seriously consider taking back to the place of purchase for a replacement.

Sleep-well
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-17-2013, 09:58 AM)jgjones1972 Wrote: I was told by an RT at a DME (and I don't know if this is true or not since some of the info she imparted was completely wrong) that similar malfunction can be caused by the power brick being placed too close to the S9 (overheating unit) or by the power brick being placed in a cramped, unventilated area (power brick overheating). She warned to place the power brick away from the machine and out in the open where heat could dissipate; which I do as a matter of course - being all too familiar with overheating power bricks because of past ownership of an HP laptop.

I don't know if this could have been the problem or not; but, if I were you I'd call ResMed for an explanation and/or seriously consider taking back to the place of purchase for a replacement.

Sleep-well

I was told the same thing by Resmed but Resmed reps also told me of 2 other things that I cannot remember right now. I had 2 Resmed CPAP's do this and when they replaced it the 2nd time (after I called Resmed to ask why this kept happening) this is what they told me (the DME didn't know about this and I gave them the list of 4 things Resmed told me). I didn't like the power supply on the floor but had no alternative and I never had a problem with my CPAP again.
Post Reply Post Reply
Check all the connections.

Remove the water tank first. Wiggle, inspect, plug and unplug all the connections, including the wall plug, the detachable cord on the power brick, the plug on the back of the CPAP. Remove the humidifier from the blower and reconnect or run without the humidifier.

Plug a regular incandescent lamp into the same outlet. If the problems happen, turn on the lamp and look for flickering.

Feel the power brick and CPAP to see if anything is overly warm.
Get the free OSCAR CPAP software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Equipment] A new ResMed AirSense 10 fails to do Smart Stop when at higher altitude. mountaincat 6 539 01-28-2024, 07:40 AM
Last Post: mountaincat
  Resmed Airsense 10 Autoset Fails update MyAir skylark 2 1,536 10-23-2017, 07:26 PM
Last Post: TASmart
Question resmed s9 autoset ramp fails geoffleach 13 9,676 08-09-2013, 12:14 PM
Last Post: geoffleach

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.