Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

ResMed S9 life expectancy
RE: ResMed S9 life expectancy
I am on a fixed pressure, the supplier said even in my case, the S10 will do the same as the S9. Unless i go the auto route and play around with the auto settings it will be the same. The doctor says fixed pressure is working. Previously had overnight sleep tests yearly for about 6-7 years until the government changed the Australian medicare rules to save money, each time came back with fixed pressure. It was said i will have more events if not fixed pressure, but the auto option at some point sounds like an interesting option. Auto adjusted fixed pressure would be ideal for weight fluctuations, but it doesn't exist.
Post Reply Post Reply
My story=doc said the same thing.

I kept my machines a long time. First one for 9 years...when I replaced it I found the new one was quiet. The old one was very noisy.
The sleep doc only wanted proof I wore my mask with machine on for at least 4 hours a night Every night.

When I finally bought an apap machine last August after over 30 years of cpap I found the new machine was more comfortable to use on cpap settings.  After I listened and accepted the recommendations here I settled into apap use.  My treatment is much more successful.

Hope this helps.

edit:  I really feel much better using my apap with the settings recommended here.

I wish I had purchased my S10 sooner.  My thought---apap treatment is better for me than cpap treatment was.  I hope this observation helps you.  After all this gear isn't fun to wear. It should work as well as possible.
DaveL
compliant for 35 years /// Still trying!

I'm just a cpap user like you. I don't give medical advice. Seek the advice of a physician before seeking treatment for medical conditions including sleep apnea. Sleep-well

http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php..._The_Guide

Post Reply Post Reply
Auto CPAP need to be optimized for each user. Without question the machine will 'work' if set at 4-20, but it works sooo much better when optimized. We do occasionally see someone with 4-20 and it is 'optimized' for them, but that is very rare.
Post Reply Post Reply
Gideon when I started using my S10 as a cpap my numbers were worse than my old S9.

I switched with a lot to help here and reset it as an apap. Numbers were getting better. I had to learn to be patient. As much as I wanted them to be perfect and immediately it took a while.

Now my settings have been unchanged for a few months. I had an AHI of 0 last night!

So the "optimized" settings really work. I don't focus on the number as I used to. I watch sleep quality and how I feel.
DaveL

I'm just a cpap user like you. I don't give medical advice. Seek the advice of a physician before seeking treatment for medical conditions including sleep apnea. Sleep-well

Post Reply Post Reply
Dave L. I agree with everything you have said about the fine tuning with Auto vs Cpap through Oscar. The issue i have like you said is getting to it and doing it. In my case worse still, having the presence of mind to focus and persevere to play around with the settings until they are right - hard enough on things i am supposed to be doing e.g. open up the h5i humidifier, find and look at the pogo pins to try get some details or part number to replace (probably won't find it/them), not damage it or leave it in a nonworking state from my sensitive touch or lack thereof, reassemble it in a functional mode for the next nights/days sleep. I wake up with a very sore throat without humidification (incl. passover) as i have had a long term upper respiratory infection which has made itself comfortable and at home.

Cost then comes the next issue. Here in Australia, machines are much more expensive because of warranty laws for exactly the same machine as North America. Then, $300-400 Aud difference between APAP and CPAP, a big difference when spare $$$ are lacking and dwindling. I hope the machine (more accurately the humidifier) will last until the S11 release and it has something magical, otherwise S10's of both models should be cheaper or might even try get one shipped from the US with warranty risks, some said about Aud $770 incl Fedex. Enough left over to buy a spare machine really as it is $1,299 here for an S10 fixed Cpap, $1,799 for APAP at last check unless you catch a special. You can only do what you can afford unfortunately, until then.....it's CPAP.
Post Reply Post Reply
Cost is an issue here too.
With guvmint screwing it up==
* I can't get an apap (unless Iknow that the ResMed S10 for her is registered as a cpap here (found that out here.)
* US prices are far lower. but buying across the border is a pain in a tender spot...I haven't done it with cpap or apap.

I did get an S10 "for her" and I'm glad I did.
DaveL

Post Reply Post Reply
I finally learned how to find the run hours. I was recently involved with the Dream Machine recall, and at that time purchased a new ResMed Air Sense 10. Much prefer the Resmed. I also have two older Resmed S9 units, one I use on my boat, the other a spare. I'm swapping the spare and boat one this summer as I found the one S9 I had on the boat has 21,393 hours. It was a 2010 model made in Australia and was still working great. The other, a 2011 model made in Singapore shows only 3,641 hours on it. It too is working great.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Sad [Symptoms] Traumatic life event. Now I'm waking up every night suffocating. BostonEngineer 9 402 03-03-2024, 12:44 PM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  Life with Knightsbridge Dual Band Chin Strap cmpman1974 21 2,113 02-29-2024, 07:11 PM
Last Post: Columbiabill
  Life of motor exceeded, Resmed S9 Reptile 13 12,264 01-21-2024, 04:31 PM
Last Post: dwd1249
  [CPAP] CPAP in Silent Mode and Mask Useful life meaning aconti 5 459 12-17-2023, 01:45 PM
Last Post: aconti
  Airsense 10 end of life JamesW 3 625 12-16-2023, 11:05 AM
Last Post: KSMatthew
  [Treatment] Waking up worse despite multiple changes, life feels awful davigalindo 10 959 10-26-2023, 07:56 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  Motor Life Exceeded, at 21,900 hours Aircurve 10 Vauto Sleeprider 52 7,320 10-08-2023, 02:21 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.