Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

ResMed S9 pressure seems lower than the S8, same settings
ResMed S9 pressure seems lower than the S8, same settings
Hello all.  First post.  I don't know why I didn't think to seek out a forum in the past when I had questions.  It's nice to have a place to go with them.  I switched from the H3i to an H5i recently.  The settings are the same but it really feels different when I actually use them.  Is my only option for doing a seeing if they're approximately similar to buy a manometer or go to the doctor?  My HMO sucks and I'll be waiting a looooong time to see someone.  I wouldn't have any use for a mamometer beyond the one test.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Resmed H5i pressure seems lower than H3i, same settings
H3i and H5i are the model numbers for the humidifier, not the CPAP. If you look near the power button, you'll see either Elite, Autoset, or Escape. The H5i humidifier is for the S9 series.

It could also be that your older machine was losing the ability to put out the pressure it was supposed to. Now that you're getting the correct one, you notice the difference. Did you get the new machine used?
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
Welcome to the forum.

As far as I know the H3i and H5i are humidifiers. Are you referring to the CPAP they are attached to? Are you moving from a Resmed S8 to a Resmed S9?
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Considering the S9 is at least 3 years old, I hope this is not a new machine.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Oops, that's exactly right.  The S8 to the S9 with their attached humidifiers.  I should change the title.
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-06-2018, 04:00 PM)PaulaO2 Wrote: H3i and H5i are the model numbers for the humidifier, not the CPAP. If you look near the power button, you'll see either Elite, Autoset, or Escape. The H5i humidifier is for the S9 series.

It could also be that your older machine was losing the ability to put out the pressure it was supposed to. Now that you're getting the correct one, you notice the difference. Did you get the new machine used?
The old machine is actually the one that feels like it's putting out more pressure.  You're right it's the S8 & S9
(03-06-2018, 04:02 PM)Crimson Nape Wrote: Welcome to the forum.  

As far as I know the H3i and H5i are humidifiers.  Are you referring to the CPAP they are attached to?  Are you moving from a Resmed S8 to a Resmed S9?
That's exactly right.  I just can't figure out how to edit the original title of the post lol.
(03-06-2018, 04:12 PM)Sleeprider Wrote: Considering the S9 is at least 3 years old, I hope this is not a new machine.
It's a machine that belonged to a family member that just hadn't really been used.  I thought I should probably give it a try.
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-06-2018, 04:36 PM)carlitos Wrote: Oops, that's exactly right.  The S8 to the S9 with their attached humidifiers.  I should change the title.
The old machine is actually the one that feels like it's putting out more pressure.

Changed the Title for you.  Does that make sense?   Smile
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-06-2018, 04:51 PM)OpalRose Wrote:
(03-06-2018, 04:36 PM)carlitos Wrote: Oops, that's exactly right.  The S8 to the S9 with their attached humidifiers.  I should change the title.

Changed the Title for you.  Does that make better sense?   Smile
Thank you so much OpalRose but I actually transposed the models.  The S9 seems to have a lower pressure than the old S8.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: ResMed S9 pressure seems lower than the S8, same settings
I know you said the same settings, but a difference in Flex, or a different mask can make it seem different.

If you have some poly tubing (mabe even a spare CPAP hose) you can make a simple manometer,  Fill the tube with water (not full) then attach it to your tubing (I'm thinking tape) Form a U shape so you can measure 20 cm.  turn your machine on and measure.   You are only dealing with 20 cm of water pressure max.

Fred
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: ResMed S9 pressure seems lower than the S8, same settings
Carlitos, the S9 is a very good machine, and has pretty much everything the S10 (Airsense 10) offers. It will work with the free #Sleepyhead software so you can analyze your results, just be sure to lock your SD card before inserting into a computer SD card reader because the S9 does not like system files. As Bonjour said, your machine has exhale pressure relief (EPR) which can let you have up to 3-cm pressure relief during exhale. This is a lot like a bilevel machine. If you can let us know which model (CPAP, Escape, Elite or Autoset) you have, and especially if you can post data, we can help a lot more.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Pressure] Understanding Pressure Settings on ASV Suzee 80 3,261 4 hours ago
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Feel worse on lower EPR even though AHI seems the same? LarkinM 10 272 03-14-2024, 10:53 PM
  [Pressure] unable to find pressure settings on my cpap timoteo666 7 426 02-17-2024, 09:56 PM
Last Post: OpalRose
Question [Pressure] Returning Auto CPAP user, help interpreting my OSCAR data and pressure settings cpappadoppoulos 3 388 01-25-2024, 09:17 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [CPAP] Help with data interpretation and pressure settings Strange54 3 347 01-25-2024, 05:20 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  What is the most comfortable pressure and settings if comfort is the only goal? hejohoo 2 299 01-20-2024, 03:25 PM
Smile pleasse help me optimize my APAP pressure settings Swsch2985 2 345 01-14-2024, 01:39 PM
Last Post: Swsch2985

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.