Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

ResMed S9 vpap s heated hose
ResMed S9 vpap s heated hose
ResMed S9 Humidifier H5I and heated Hose?
Can I hook 2 hoses together, thats what I would prefer? or can I just add regular hose to make it (the hose) longer?
I would also to love to have you tell me just what the purpose is to have the "hose" heated, and what does it do?
Thank you
HILLTOPPER
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: ResMed S9 vpap s heated hose
Hi HILLTOPPER
there is no longer heated hose but if wanted you can use a longer standard hose (8 or 10 feet) but have to set the tube type to standard
not sure if the additional length have an effect on cpap pressure
the purpose of the heated hose (ClimateLine) to protect against rainout

ClimateLine user instructions
http://www.resmed.com/au/assets/document...lo_eng.pdf
Post Reply Post Reply
The climate line helps to keep the hose warm which keeps condensation from forming on the inside of the hose, an event called 'rainout'. If you do not use the humidifier, you do not need the climateline.

The climateline must be attached to the machine itself for it to work.

Why do you need a long hose? I wish mine was shorter.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
I need a longer HOSE BECAUSE I take water pills for high blood pressure. Also the diabetes meds. make me get up and PEE a couple times every night. I have a longer one so I can go to the bathroom that is close by my side of the bed and not take my mask off. I tried the machine with the long and the short hose.Readings arer the same. everything... can't see any differance. Its all pressurised so it should be exactly the same unless there are leaks.
HILLTOPPER
Post Reply Post Reply
For me, it's just easier to take off the mask. Less risk of tripping or getting tangled. And since you're a guy, you could use a urinal bottle at night. My grandfather did because he couldn't see without his glasses and by the time he got his glasses on and found his way to the bathroom, it was too late.

I know they sell longer hoses, but not longer climateline. I don't think using the climateline would do any good in terms of rainout if you add another hose. Water will just condense in that one. Look around at some of the suppliers and see how long they can get them. I think I saw at least 10'. And I'm not sure how much humidity would make it to your nose by that time.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
I aleady have it long enough to make the trip. I just wanted to try the new hose
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-13-2012, 03:04 PM)HILLTOPPER Wrote: .... Its all pressurised so it should be exactly the same unless there are leaks....

Hi Hilltopper

Even with a perfectly fitted mask there is an intended leak of around 30L/min through the exhaust port. As a result there will be a little bit of pressure loss at the mask with the longer hose.... I haven't done the sums but I suspect it will be so small that it won't matter.

Another possible issue with the longer hose would be that it is additional volume that could confuse the EPR if you use it and possibly the detection of Hypopneas and obstructions.

When it is all said and done however it is all about personal preference and convenience ... If you are getting the sleep and not snoring then it really doesn't matter too much about the technical details.
Post Reply Post Reply
You can get joiners to join together CPAP tube, which are just simple adapters that the tubes fit to. This way you get some of the benefits of a heated line, and if your extra length of tube is short, you may not get any condensation in the short length of unheated tube (rainout).

The chief determinate of this is the temperature of your bedroom: if it is hotter than the dew point you shouldn't have issues with rainout anyway. The air is passed over heated water in the humidifier and picks up both heat and water vapor. If it then passes down a cold tube, the temperature of the air/water vapor decreases, and water condenses on the inside of the tube. As the air is saturated, meaning it is carrying the maximum amount of water vapor it can at that temperature, it can't evaporate any of the water that does condense out in your tube. This means that any temperature drop in the tubes from the humidifier to your mask may cause some condensation that won't evaporate during your night.

Another method that was used before electrically heated tubes were insulated tubes to try to keep the temperature of the air/water vapor mixture above the dew point and thus avoiding the condensation. Insulating the additional unheated tube might eliminate condensation that occurs just in this short tubing.

Minimizing the temperature drop between your humidifier set-temperature and your bedroom temperature will minimize the rainout: the downside to this is that the humidifier temperature might not be enough to pick up enough water vapor to fix your nasal passage dryness, or the bedroom temperature might be set too high for comfortable sleeping.

A short added length of CPAP tubing might work, but the solution might lie in the mask you are wearing. I'm currently using a ResMed Mirage FX nasal mask which allows me to easily unclip the tubing from the mask at the final elbow at the mask, go off to the bathroom and clip back up again without disturbing the fit of the mask as well as having a good airflow that means you don't feel suffocated without the machine running. The machine is set for auto start and stop which means I just unclip, return and reclip in and don't need to touch the machine or mask adjustment.

Bill
Post Reply Post Reply
Some people have reported their bilevel machines don't work right with extra long hoses.

I would expect that EPR might suffer similar problems, along with a slightly lower pressure, and perhaps a little less accurate pressure control as you breathe in and out.

Apnea sensing might suffer a bit as well, especially determining whether an apnea is obstructive or central.
Get the free OSCAR CPAP software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply
I haveused the longer REGULAR hose for a week 2 hooked
T[/i]ogether
can't tell any change at all
I sleep just fine. then Ican
"go" If I need to. I looked at the readings from 2w weeks ago and last week. Looks just about the same. I wonder if 1 section of heated hose anthe least amount of regular hose would be ok? can these hoses be cut? then the new end bne put on so as to hook it up again? I have it a little to long now BUT it lets me roll around in bed sleep on both sides and no troubles with short hose .
I will keep trying to make a mess of something that works great! thats just me Dielaughing
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Aircurve 10 ST-A and Lumis 150 VPAP ST-A just a UK branding difference? SingleH 37 2,243 03-18-2024, 07:51 AM
Last Post: SingleH
Question Hose volume Willw 4 236 02-26-2024, 04:53 PM
Last Post: Willw
  Using the heated tube on Dream Station 2 arpegio 4 952 02-16-2024, 06:52 PM
Last Post: arpegio
  Using cleaning brushes in heated tubing TiredTom111 9 610 01-29-2024, 08:30 PM
Last Post: TechieHippie
  [Equipment] ResMed S9 Elite CPAP – Climate hose problem drewb6111 2 230 01-28-2024, 08:24 PM
Last Post: drewb6111
  ResMed AirSense 11 + ClimateLine 11 Heated Tubing + Oxygen YankeeLaker 2 358 01-22-2024, 08:17 PM
Last Post: YankeeLaker
  How often to replace mask, hose, etc. bigla6940 6 582 12-30-2023, 07:00 AM
Last Post: bigla6940

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.