Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

ResMed S9 whistle problem - Solutions?
RE: ResMed S9 whistle problem - Solutions?
Shastzi for the win! I am the type of person who uses humor when discussing things that make me uncomfortable. I always follow the phrase, "Wow, that's messed up..." with nervous laughter. Sometimes it can rub people the wrong way because they think I don't take things seriously. My inner circle know that I take things very seriously. Life's hard enough, better to laugh than cry. But ya, it's a defense mechanism.

I have had a particularly hard time adapting to CPAP. Chapped nostrils, noises, bloating feeling, headaches, puffy baggy eyes like my sinuses are being blown out, and still kinda finding myself ninja napping at any opportunity. I gotta buddy who I encouraged to start it as well, and he is like a new person now. Not so much for me.

My machine is keeping me between 10-12 even though I have given it a wider window. I was hoping it would drop down. I am a reverse ramp sorta guy... I can't fall asleep just breathing through my nose at a low pressure, I feel like I am suffocating or having to strain to breathe sorta thing. I have a full face mask, but I really wanted to stop the mouth breathing. I also got a mouth piece to keep me from grinding (I don't think I grind but I like wearing it. It keeps my tongue in just the right position). I have tried and I own, all major mask types. I sleep on my side and the Puritan Breeze has been by far the most comfortable for me. I made my own tube suspension harness so that I could toss and turn and my tube wouldn't strange me. But ya, still tinkering with everything.

It's weird. I'm weird. *nervous laughter*

I am thankful for this forum. I have gotten some great advice and information.
Post Reply Post Reply
Indeed life is too important to be taken seriously. Big Grin

I found something amazing this week by watching my SleepyHead stats.
Last week I spotted a time block where I knew I was on my back and sure enough I was throwing all kinds of OA's and Hypopneas.
(not so good!)
So, I bought a small backpack for notebook computers (Case Logic) and stuffed 3 tubes of tennisballs in it (still inside the tubes).
I keep the straps pretty tight so it doesn't slide around much.
Use that rig and you WILL sleep on one side!
Last three nights I have been using it the S9 has been scheduling about 2cm LESS pressure, maxing at 17 instead of 19.
I'm getting almost no painful bloating and other nonsense. AHI's are <2.9 as well.
I could have sworn up and down I always sleep on my side up to now but I was WRONG.

I am doing better now and this is good.

You might want to try the backpack trick.
Not expensive and if it doesn't work...well...you still have a backback and new tennisballs!

Smile
Smile

"With ordinary talent and extraordinary perseverance, all things are attainable." - Thomas Foxwell Buxton

Cool
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-04-2013, 09:58 AM)Shastzi Wrote: I could have sworn up and down I always sleep on my side up to now but I was WRONG.

Well, maybe you were. And lately you've just entered some new phase where you haven't been.

I can go weeks or even months without mouth-leaking, but then start doing it several times a night every night. Now I just wear the stupid chin strap all the time.

I don't even notice I've got it on anymore. It's the new normal.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-04-2013, 09:58 AM)Shastzi Wrote: I could have sworn up and down I always sleep on my side up to now but I was WRONG.

Perhaps you did sleep on your side BC (Before CPAP), because your brain objected too much to the apnea when you slept on your back and made you roll on your side to get comfortable. With CPAP, even though you're having some apnea, you might still be good enough to still sleep that way.
Get the free OSCAR CPAP software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply
Archangle: I'm sure my brain is objecting to all this.
Smile

Just getting by:
I seem to be stabilizing around 15-16cm with only an occasional peak up to 19cm so this is much better.
Before backpacking I was hitting the peak and staying there for a lot longer also AHI was jumping up to 10-12 during these times.
AHI's are staying below 4 now so that's good in my book.

Oh wait! We are supposed to be discussing the S9 exhale whistle!
Smile
I still think it's some kind of over pressure dump valve.
But I am not hearing the whistle at all when the dehumidifier and window A/C are running.
Just a bit of white noise does the job!

Cheers & Sleep Happy!

Big Grin

"With ordinary talent and extraordinary perseverance, all things are attainable." - Thomas Foxwell Buxton

Cool
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Angry AirTouch N20 - digs into cheek - any solutions? Lilaq88 2 673 03-26-2024, 03:16 PM
Last Post: Valtor
  [Treatment] Clear airway / central apnea events -- causes and solutions? mitzvahtime 6 2,554 03-25-2024, 04:10 PM
Last Post: Jay51
  AirFit F30i Mask Problem OldTeacher 22 4,941 03-23-2024, 03:23 PM
Last Post: ButtonNoseBarbie
  [CPAP] ResMed Air Sense 10 Auto Off Problem Buddie43 19 26,511 03-05-2024, 10:50 PM
Last Post: Ailyhsaun
  Are these flow limits my problem? k888 87 5,864 02-26-2024, 12:02 PM
Last Post: k888
  [Treatment] Are leaks the problem or do I need BIPAP? TiredDude 3 377 02-22-2024, 07:52 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [CPAP] Is my leak rate a problem? Kevstuf 5 590 02-08-2024, 10:25 AM
Last Post: Kevstuf

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.