Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

ResMed S9 whistle problem - Solutions?
RE: ResMed S9 whistle problem - Solutions?
(03-09-2013, 09:58 PM)HILLTOPPER Wrote: After reading this thread the other day I payed attention .. Seems My res med s makes WAY more whistle when the water chamber is FULL , not much at all when almost empty and only on Exhale. Go figgure?

This could be a hint. Anybody notice a difference in pitch with the level of the water tank?

Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-09-2013, 10:39 PM)Sleepster Wrote:
(03-09-2013, 09:58 PM)HILLTOPPER Wrote: After reading this thread the other day I payed attention .. Seems My res med s makes WAY more whistle when the water chamber is FULL , not much at all when almost empty and only on Exhale. Go figgure?

This could be a hint. Anybody notice a difference in pitch with the level of the water tank?

After reading this I checked it out:

With any one particular mask the whistling was the worst with the H5i disconnected and the hose connected directly to the S9 or with the H5i connected and the water chamber filled to the max line (or actually just a tiny bit above it, where I normally fill it to). There might have been a little difference between these two, but not enough to tell by just listening.

With any one particular mask the whisling was least noticeable with the H5i connected but empty.

Worst whistling was with nasal pillows and hose connected directly to S9, or nasal pillows and hose connected to H5i with full tank.

Whistling was least noticeable (not noticeable at all to me even when exhaling hard) with full face mask and hose connected to empty H5i.

Whistling was still coming from inside S9 unit and not from the H5i.

All of this seems to suggest (with my extremely limited knowledge on these things) that it is coming from the flow generator and has to do with flow resistance.

It seems to have consistently held that the more room I introduce into the system (i.e. higher volume of air between the flow generator and my lungs), the less whistling I get. The more I tighten the system up - less air space (i.e. less air to compress on exhale) the more whistling I get.

I wish I had a larger diameter hose like a standard hose (NOT SlimLine) or a ClimateLine Max to check. I might just order one (standard full size hose) to find out.

It would be nice if some others would try the full/empty water chamber thing and/or standard/slim hose (if you have 'em).

Post Reply Post Reply
I will try adding a 9ft long hose extension on. That might do something. Smile
"With ordinary talent and extraordinary perseverance, all things are attainable." - Thomas Foxwell Buxton

Cool
Post Reply Post Reply
This suggests to me that the small chamber consisting of the space between the flow generator and the hose is resonating with the pitch of the whistle. When you increase the volume of that chamber you lower that resonant frequency making the whistling noise less noticeable.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-07-2013, 11:19 PM)zonk Wrote: Paula
My machine serial number start with 2210

22= country of manufacture: Australia (23 Singapore)
= year of manufacture: 2010

I'm researching the RESMED S9 whistle on exhale and this is my first post just to add a "Me Too". I've been using a CPAP for over 5 years, the first being an S8. The S9 Elite whistle is definitely coming from the unit and not the humidifier or the hose or mask. I've tried all the suggestions I've found to eliminate the whistle with no luck.

The whistle occurs with or without the humidifier and is louder with a soft exhale. I have found that I can actually modulate the whistle by varying the exhale.

For data gathering, my serial number starts with 2312.
Post Reply Post Reply
I am having this problem too. Usually does not happen at first but when I wake up later it is very noticeable.
Post Reply Post Reply
I also get this. It is very mild and doesn't keep me from falling asleep.

I also notice it only happens on exhale. Not sure if water tank level affects the pitch of the whistle.

I have been having dreams that the little people have put the 'come hither' on me and the cry of the banshee is drawing me to them.

...but again, this could be just residual effects left over from the Ambien. OR I shouldn't eat Tillamook Peanut butter and chocolate ice cream while watching Darby O'Gill and the Little People right before bedtime. ya, you're right, it's that darn Ambien!
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-26-2013, 07:03 PM)cowboy1970 Wrote: I also get this. It is very mild and doesn't keep me from falling asleep.

I also notice it only happens on exhale. Not sure if water tank level affects the pitch of the whistle.

I have been having dreams that the little people have put the 'come hither' on me and the cry of the banshee is drawing me to them.

...but again, this could be just residual effects left over from the Ambien. OR I shouldn't eat Tillamook Peanut butter and chocolate ice cream while watching Darby O'Gill and the Little People right before bedtime. ya, you're right, it's that darn Ambien!

Cowboy, a little off the subject, but what model mask is depicted in your avatar? I think I had one like that (bad memories), or maybe it's just that it looks like the sore on the bridge of my nose. Hope it (your avatar) doesn't scare away any new CPAP users. Jeff.

To err is human, but to really mess things up, you need a computer.
Post Reply Post Reply
It's the new Klingon CPAP Mask. Eat-popcorn
SuperSleeper
Apnea Board Administrator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Post Reply Post Reply
Ah, I see. I thought it was the new Face Hugger Alien model. Big Grin
"With ordinary talent and extraordinary perseverance, all things are attainable." - Thomas Foxwell Buxton

Cool
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Angry AirTouch N20 - digs into cheek - any solutions? Lilaq88 2 675 03-26-2024, 03:16 PM
Last Post: Valtor
  [Treatment] Clear airway / central apnea events -- causes and solutions? mitzvahtime 6 2,558 03-25-2024, 04:10 PM
Last Post: Jay51
  AirFit F30i Mask Problem OldTeacher 22 4,959 03-23-2024, 03:23 PM
Last Post: ButtonNoseBarbie
  [CPAP] ResMed Air Sense 10 Auto Off Problem Buddie43 19 26,516 03-05-2024, 10:50 PM
Last Post: Ailyhsaun
  Are these flow limits my problem? k888 87 5,871 02-26-2024, 12:02 PM
Last Post: k888
  [Treatment] Are leaks the problem or do I need BIPAP? TiredDude 3 380 02-22-2024, 07:52 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [CPAP] Is my leak rate a problem? Kevstuf 5 592 02-08-2024, 10:25 AM
Last Post: Kevstuf

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.