Mask Make & Model: ResMed Swift FX
Humidifier: ResMed H5i
CPAP Pressure: 9
CPAP Software: SleepyHead

Other Comments:

Sex: Male

ResMed S9 wireless modem
Hello all,

So as the rep delivered my new S9, I was told all data was being collected by ResMed for improvement purposes. Honestly, I do not believe that at all. Do any of you guys have any experience with the wireless modem? How does that work? Who monitors such data that it being collected. I assume as I'm being in the military, data goes to some data base which does not worry me as I love to sleep with my machine. Just curious to know what you guys think/say about it.

Thanks!!!!
05-05-2013 01:22 PM
Find all posts by this user Post Reply Quote this message in a reply

Donate to Apnea Board
PaulaO2 Offline
Wiki Editor
Moderators

Machine: S9 Autoset
Mask Type: Full face mask
Mask Make & Model: F&P Simplus
Humidifier: H5i
CPAP Pressure: 14-20

Other Comments: Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome, Hypermobility Type; chronic sarcasm

Sex: Undisclosed

RE: ResMed S9 wireless modem
"Improvement" purposes is a bunch of bull hockey.

Usually the modem is to collect compliance data, meaning they're making sure you are using it. The supplier collects the data and sends it on to whoever requested it in the first place which is usually whoever is paying for the device. The modem means you don't have to take the memory card in to get the data taken from it. I don't think anyone has come here and said they're doc actually looked at the data for treatment purposes. It is almost always just for compliance reasons.

I believe it is a cellular modem and not reliant on your own system.

PaulaO2
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Breathe deeply and count to zen.

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
05-05-2013 05:12 PM
archangle Online
Wiki Editor
Advisory Members

Machine: ResMed S9 AutoSet
Mask Type: Nasal pillows
Humidifier: ResMed S9 H5i
CPAP Pressure: 16-20
CPAP Software: ResScan SleepyHead EncoreBasic

Other Comments: Happy PAPper

Yes, I believe the wireless modem connects to some version of the cellphone network, not your own internet connection.

The data is collected and should be available to your doctor. It is very valuable data if he uses it. I think, but I'm not sure, that it only collects "usage" and "apnea event" data, not the same "breathing" data the SD card does, so detailed analysis will need the SD card.

As for "improvement," what do you think they meant? Improving your threatment, or improving the design of the machine? It could be used for both purposes.

Get the free SleepyHead software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
05-06-2013 01:38 AM

Donate to Apnea Board
agiraud Offline

Members

Machine: ResMed S9 Elite
Humidifier: ResMed H5i
CPAP Pressure: 9

Other Comments:

(05-06-2013 01:38 AM)archangle Wrote:  Yes, I believe the wireless modem connects to some version of the cellphone network, not your own internet connection.

The data is collected and should be available to your doctor. It is very valuable data if he uses it. I think, but I'm not sure, that it only collects "usage" and "apnea event" data, not the same "breathing" data the SD card does, so detailed analysis will need the SD card.

As for "improvement," what do you think they meant? Improving your threatment, or improving the design of the machine? It could be used for both purposes.

Thanks Archangle,

I'm pretty sure data it's being collected to be sent to my primary care provider on a remote location. I doubt it's being collected for machine improvements.

Take care!
05-06-2013 10:50 AM
aehjr Offline

Preferred Members-2

Mask Type: Nasal mask
Mask Make & Model: Mirage FX
CPAP Pressure: 6 - 12
CPAP Software: ResScan SleepyHead

Other Comments:

The tech explained that the modem they gave me with the machine is a cellular modem. I assume it collects compliance data; I doubt they provide any info to my doctor. I don't have AT&T cellular coverage at my home and the modem is on the AT&T network so I take the machine in to the office every 3-4 weeks. That allows them to confirm I am using the machine to my insurance company.
05-06-2013 04:29 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
SuperSleeper Offline

Administrators

Machine: PR System One REMstar Auto (DS560)
Mask Make & Model: ResMed Mirage Swift II
Humidifier: none
CPAP Pressure: 12.5 - 18.5 cmH20 (auto range)

Other Comments: Have diabetes Type II

(05-06-2013 04:29 PM)aehjr Wrote:  I don't have AT&T cellular coverage at my home and the modem is on the AT&T network so I take the machine in to the office every 3-4 weeks. That allows them to confirm I am using the machine to my insurance company.

Would they allow you to simply bring in the SD card? That would be a lot easier than lugging your CPAP machine into their office every 3-4 weeks I would think. Everything they need should be on the card.

Thinking-about

SuperSleeper
Apnea Board Administrator
www.ApneaBoard.com

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

05-07-2013 10:37 AM
tfeuret Offline

New Members

Machine: ResMed S9 Elite
Humidifier: HumidAire 5i
CPAP Pressure: 7.0
CPAP Software: ResScan

Other Comments:

I've been using the S9 for since December 2012 and I was provided with the modem as well.

From what I have seen of this device and the one report I had to obtain from my DME, the modem uploads compliance and basic summary data to a back end server run/maintained by ResMed using the AT&T cellular data network.

The DME (and possibly the doctor) can then accesses a web site run by ResMed to access patient data and to print reports from this web site. Search ResMed EasyCare Online

www . resmed.com/us/products/easycare_online/easycare-online.html?nc=clinicians

Good for the DME as they don't have to maintain the software and hardware that using ResScan software would require of them. Bad for us if they stop making/supporting ResScan or jack up the prices to support the modem bills.
05-07-2013 02:32 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
aehjr Offline

Preferred Members-2

CPAP Pressure: 6 - 12
CPAP Software: ResScan SleepyHead

Other Comments:

(05-07-2013 10:37 AM)SuperSleeper Wrote:  Would they allow you to simply bring in the SD card? That would be a lot easier than lugging your CPAP machine into their office every 3-4 weeks I would think. Everything they need should be on the card.

Super Sleeper - Sorry for the confusion. I bring the CPAP to work with me. My office is in an area that has AT&T coverage.
05-07-2013 04:40 PM
jps1012 Offline

New Members

Machine: Resmed S9
Mask Make & Model: Swift LT
Humidifier: resmed
CPAP Pressure: Auto-CPAP
CPAP Software: Not using software

Other Comments:

Does anyone know if EasyCare Online for Resmed S9 is for patients or clinicians only? If not is there other ways for me to see how I am doing with my machine? thanks
07-11-2013 01:28 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
PaulaO2 Offline
Wiki Editor
Moderators

Machine: S9 Autoset
Mask Type: Full face mask
Mask Make & Model: F&P Simplus
Humidifier: H5i
CPAP Pressure: 14-20

Other Comments: Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome, Hypermobility Type; chronic sarcasm

Depends on which S9 you have. If your machine has the word "Escape" in the name, then the only data you will have is how many hours you have used it each night (compliance data). Using software is pointless.

If you have one that does NOT have that word, then yes, there are two software programs you can use to view the data, SleepyHead and ResScan.

You can get them both here:
http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Private-Files-and-Links

PaulaO2
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Breathe deeply and count to zen.

07-11-2013 02:01 PM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
Angry Resmed Airsense/Telstra 2G wireless kerput JamesW 2 226 11-24-2016 11:08 PM
Last Post: JamesW
  DreamStation - Can I use SD card and modem at same time? mcsheltie 2 264 10-28-2016 04:48 AM
Last Post: Ockrocket
  [CPAP] wireless viewing from cpap to computer sherryl10 10 779 08-24-2016 12:20 AM
Last Post: wubisnotanabbreviation
  Semi-permanently disabling modem in ResMed Airsense 10 Sleep87 73 17,720 07-27-2016 07:42 PM
Last Post: wubisnotanabbreviation
  System One + Flash Air WiFi + Modem? Will it all work? marc31 4 325 07-18-2016 11:58 PM
Last Post: DariaVader
  Should I give modem back to DME pupcamper 22 1,492 05-10-2016 06:38 PM
Last Post: Luvmyzzz
  Wireless Quit on AirSense 10 LanceC 17 1,455 05-07-2016 11:34 AM
Last Post: AlanE