Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

ResMed S9 wireless modem
RE: ResMed S9 wireless modem
Basically it comes down to a few things

1) federal laws
2) state laws
3) what you sign

Every ins co gets SOME part if your medical conditions. Diagnostic codes , etc that's when a dr puts down like 889.2 etc meaning you were diagnosed with X condition. So yes they know what yiu are diagnosed with, and any surgeries / equipment they pay for. Beyond that, they get NOTHING unless they deny a claim or request further tests, or further proof you need xyz medication , surgery or procedure, or equipment. They may request all medical recordS RELATED to that condition, but NEVER an A to Z copy of your history.

That's IT. they can't get more unless you SIGN. Something. With the new ACA healthcare act , they can no longer request medical history to see if you are lying about pre existing because they now MUST accept you when u apply regardless. They can't even ask u your history except smoking, drinking, etc. Even that can't raise your rates (unless you have like insurance fraud on record)

So yes , in some states, bcbs may req you to sign a form giving them access too your data because if you don't use the machine at least 4-5 nights for at least 4-5 hrs, they stop paying for new supplies until u can prove u are back in compliance.

But my point was: YOU MUST SIGN SOMETHING. If you don't, like here in NC, ins cos don't req compliance data (mist don't) The only ppl that see my data is healthy @ home,my dr, and his nurses. No billing dept ever sees my data. Billing in other areas just see diagnostic codes to bill an ins co. That's all billing should EVER see:codes, equipment , RXs, procedures NOT records and not data in detail.

Someone was correct and I was wrong about the modem it says Rx only but the tech lied to me cuz they overrode and re locked the system remotely (which I just unlocked). Then I called and bitched them out. Then they said they'd stop, but they'd have to report it to the Dr (whom I already told I unlocked it). He was ok with it as long as I kept the max at 18-20. The machine never even hits 14. It's set to 20 max, 11min. Start at 4, ramp I set 10, 20, or, 45 min depending on how sleepy I am.

As far as changing it. The laws in any state only require an Rx to get a cpap, mask, or humidifier, battery backup. Accessories do not need an RX (heated tubes, padding etc) and can be bought online. I got my dr to send my Rx to Supplier #1. This was I can buy higher quality masks , tubes, etc that my ins doesn't pay for. Anyway to change pressure/settings , a tech, clinician needs an Rx in some states or an order. Don't get a battery backup!! Get a 100-300$ apc ups that does 1500-2250Va. It could run your cpap for about 4-6 times for 8hrs. They also sell 12v 500amp car batteries with 110-120v plug ins that can charge devices or run ur cpap for ages. Most ins cos will not pay the 700$ for a cpap battery that lasts only 10hrs unless u can prove ur power goes out A LOT.

Regarding the patient : YOU CAN DO WHATEVER YOU WANT WITH THE SETTINGS. No state or federal law exists anywhere prohibiting you to do so, nor are there penalties. It's like getting a bottle of 30 painkillers that say take 1 a day. If u take 2, do u break a law nope. It's yours. If u take all 30 and kill yourself. That's your issue. U are trusted to manage ur Rx ur own. Same applies to a cpap. You are trusted if your pressure is 15-20 that u don't set it at 4-8 where it's useless.

What that said. SOME DRs and companies may make you sign something (on rented and leased stuff) that if u mess with it, they take it back. Even that's rare. What? They take away something that you could die without having? (Central apnea is deadly). But still , if u signed something, then DONT mess with it.

However, if u OWN IT. By that I mean your ins outright paid for it, or you did, *****Then NO ONE can stop you or penalize you for changing it*****. It may upset your Dr and he could drop u as a patient. But the machine is still yours and u can go find another Dr who doesn't have a stick up his a**

Why would I change it? I USE it! Not the techs or DRs. They see numbers. I see the numbers but I FEEL how well it works. I've fine tuned mine so my masks don't blow off and I got my total ahi, central ai, and total ai scores all under an avg of 1 in any given time period. They were 15+ under my DRs orders. They changed them 3Xs. Every time I was miserable. So I went online and there a few sites they tell u how to unlock EVERY cpap, APAP, and BPAP/vpap in existence.

I'm not saying everyone should mess with their cpap, I'm saying there's no law in existence to stop you.. And what ppl can and can't see about your medical history unless u give WRITTEN permission

In fact, the OWNER of this site is how I figured things out. Just go to the main web adress then how to change apnea settings. He dares anyone to find laws against it. Then I did my own research to find there are none
* diagnosed with OSA in 5/20/2014. 900+ stops per night
* diagnosed with mixed apnea on 6/4/2014 with CSA 800Xs/night & OSA 100Xs/night
* ResMed S9 VPAP ST-A iVAPS 12-25 auto pressure settings
* H5i humidifier - Climate in manual mode: 6.0 humidity & 80F tube temp
* Respironics Millennium M10 O2 concentrator hooked into Climatemax oxy o2 port @ 1.5LPM
* ClimateMax Oxy air tube
* FitLife Total Face CPAP Mask with Headgear extra large
* 2250 VA , 1250 Watt UPS backup - much cheaper than an 8hr resmed 755$ battery and lasts 10Xs longer.
Post Reply Post Reply
One, last disclaimer.

I'm going on info I found on this site , my own research, talking to my dr, talking to resmed, and working in the IT dept for hospitals for years.

That still doesn't make me "right"

Also never change ANY home medical device on a whim or "because you can"

Make sure you research, learn the hardware and software, and understand the risks You take in changing things. Know what u are changing and why, and what effects it could have. Personally I think anyone being treated for OSA should have unlocked machines. CSA ppl should have it locked as changes could be life threatening. Hence why I talked to my dr about me Changing things.

If you are unsure, keep an OPEN dialogue with your Dr, and let your Dr change it, or have him order a home healthcare company to change it.

Lastly the modem. After all that is the topic here. I think it's a good thing. As your Dr can order changes quickly, without your taking the machine in - especially if you are out of town!! Like some people said. Some ins cos REQUIRE it for compliance. But look at it like this: if û don't have a modem, most of u are required to take the unit in now and then for a sad card download. So they see the data either way!!! Smile. So get the modem if offered, it'll make cpap life easier Smile just my 2c
* Respironics Millennium M10 O2 concentrator hooked into Climatemax oxy o2 port @ 1.5LPM
* 2250 VA , 1250 Watt UPS backup - much cheaper than an 8hr resmed 755$ battery and lasts 10Xs longer.
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-11-2014, 04:21 AM)dduttonnc Wrote: Lastly the modem. After all that is the topic here. I think it's a good thing. As your Dr can order changes quickly, without your taking the machine in - especially if you are out of town!! Like some people said.
And that's the number one problem I have: The doc can tell the DME to change the pressure without either of them bothering to tell me, the patient who uses the damn thing about it.

Seriously---the modem allows the doc and the dme to keep the patient completely in the dark about the therapeutic settings. And that's where I have very, very serious concerns.

Quote:Some ins cos REQUIRE it for compliance. But look at it like this: if û don't have a modem, most of u are required to take the unit in now and then for a sad card download. So they see the data either way!!! Smile. So get the modem if offered, it'll make cpap life easier Smile just my 2c
The difference is this: When I physically take the machine or the card in to have the data read, I can ask questions:
  • What does the data tell you?
  • Is there anything to be concerned about?
  • Are you changing my prescription?

When the data is just read through the internet, I'm not part of the conversation between the doc and the DME. And that's why I object to using a modem to monitor my adherence.

And then there's this: If the push is to go wireless, it will only be a matter of time before the SD card slot will be eliminated entirely from the PAP machine.

In other words, the direction I see things going is that an SD card module will be developed for attaching to machines sold to patients in remote areas with no available wireless. The rest of us won't have an SD card slot and all of our data will go through wireless connections to secure servers which we, the patients, will have no access to, save through the incredibly dumbed down "patient web sites" like SleepSeeker and SleepMapper.

And as a resulte, I (the patient) will have no way of accessing all of my data. I've seen what the web based SleepSeeker (Resmed) and SleepMapper (PR) programs show the patient, and it's no where near as much data as I want to be able to see. So I don't consider SleepSeeker and SleepMapper as viable ways to fully monitor my own therapy.
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-06-2013, 01:38 AM)archangle Wrote: Yes, I believe the wireless modem connects to some version of the cellphone network, not your own internet connection.

The data is collected and should be available to your doctor. It is very valuable data if he uses it. I think, but I'm not sure, that it only collects "usage" and "apnea event" data, not the same "breathing" data the SD card does, so detailed analysis will need the SD card.

As for "improvement," what do you think they meant? Improving your threatment, or improving the design of the machine? It could be used for both purposes.

(06-11-2014, 09:05 AM)robysue Wrote: [quote='dduttonnc' pid='72140' dateline='1402478479']
Lastly the modem. After all that is the topic here. I think it's a good thing. As your Dr can order changes quickly, without your taking the machine in - especially if you are out of town!! Like some people said.
And that's the number one problem I have: The doc can tell the DME to change the pressure without either of them bothering to tell me, the patient who uses the damn thing about it.

Seriously---the modem allows the doc and the dme to keep the patient completely in the dark about the therapeutic settings. And that's where I have very, very serious concerns.

Quote:Some ins cos REQUIRE it for compliance. But look at it like this: if û don't have a modem, most of u are required to take the unit in now and then for a sad card download. So they see the data either way!!! Smile. So get the modem if offered, it'll make cpap life easier Smile just my 2c
Quote:The difference is this: When I physically take the machine or the card in to have the data read, I can ask questions:
  • What does the data tell you?
  • Is there anything to be concerned about?
  • Are you changing my prescription?

When the data is just read through the internet, I'm not part of the conversation between the doc and the DME. And that's why I object to using a modem to monitor my adherence.

And then there's this: If the push is to go wireless, it will only be a matter of time before the SD card slot will be eliminated entirely from the PAP machine.

In other words, the direction I see things going is that an SD card module will be developed for attaching to machines sold to patients in remote areas with no available wireless. The rest of us won't have an SD card slot and all of our data will go through wireless connections to secure servers which we, the patients, will have no access to, save through the incredibly dumbed down "patient web sites" like SleepSeeker and SleepMapper.

And as a resulte, I (the patient) will have no way of accessing all of my data. I've seen what the web based SleepSeeker (Resmed) and SleepMapper (PR) programs show the patient, and it's no where near as much data as I want to be able to see. So I don't consider SleepSeeker and SleepMapper as viable ways to fully monitor my own therapy.

Phew. Ok a few things.
1) modem and keeping u in the dark

Press a button to light things upS
press setup (lower button) and press the dial to get setup menu
You can change pressure. Anything really. When u get to access change from limited to full
Change it to what works for you and gives you best scores (turn sleep quality on to see them)
Write down ur new settings. So if they change it, u know and ca change it back

Also by unlocking the unit, you get access to full reporting

2) as far as sd card see above. The same applies. Take controll of your cpap - as long as it's not leased (rare)

You don't have to be in the dark. Once u get full acess, yiu can pretty much view most data that's been collected. Even with no sd card, it has internal memory.

Done right, you are never kept in the dark.

Plus these are YOUR med records. By federal law yiu can request your data and they MUST provide it to yiu
Post Reply Post Reply
1) I don't see why you would want to make changes on a person's machine without telling them. When I receive an order to change a pressure, I call the patient first. In some cases, the patient says they do not want the change made until they talk to the doctor first. That's fine. That is their right as a patient to refuse care.

If you aren't, as a patient, comfortable with a wireless device on your machine. Simple solution.....refuse to accept it. It is a convenience but doesn't add anything to the treatment.

2) A DME doesn't get paid for you to come in and read your card and then discuss the results. I realize that most users out there don't care, but the reality is that if the DME can't get paid for the services they are asked to provide, eventually you won't have DMEs. Everything will be on-line. Your machine will be shipped to you at the ordered settings and you won't have anyone you can talk to in person (except your doctor). I believe this is the direction CPAP is headed. If you don't believe this, look at what is going on with competitive bidding and out-of-state companies bidding on CPAP in your area.

3) If a patient does refuse a wire-less device, should a DME be able to charge a fee to do a download? I know some providers that already charge for this. Our DME only currently charges to do downloads on patients that don't get supplies/equipment from us (if someone walks in off the street for a download, they get charged for it).
Post Reply Post Reply
"dduttonnc Wrote:Done right, you are never kept in the dark.

I know I don't have to be in the dark.

But----the average CPAPer is indeed in the dark. Most new PAPers are given little or no information about there script. The people on this board a small and unrepresentative group of very well informed PAPers, and most of did not get that way by talking with our sleep docs and DMEs. Rather, many of us are self-educated about both our condition and our machines.

When I was first given my machine, I had to ask---repeatedly---for a written copy of my script. The doctor did not want to give it to me; he simply wanted to fax it over to the DME. Eventually I gave up asking the doc and got a copy of the script from my more enlightened DME. Additional changes to my script during my first year of PAPing were made by one of the doc's PAs, and she had no trouble giving me the script in writing everytime she made a change.

Yes, I know the law: I was entitled to get a written script from the doc. But the fact remains, he simply wouldn't give it to me. And at the time I was too overwhelmed by the OSA diagnosis and the unwelcome need to start a therapy that I was dreading to drag out my innate stubbornness and tell him: I'm legally entitled to the script and if you won't give me a copy, I'll leave and not return ....

When I did pick up my machine from the DME, I was able get a written copy of the script from them. The RT who set up my machine even taught me how to access the long version of the sleep quality report on the S9 AutoSet's LCD. But when I ask about software, I was told some version of:
  • There is no software for patients. And you don't need it because you wouldn't understand the data anyway. Besides it's illegal for anybody to sell or give the software to you. Feel free to drop by any time and we'll download your data and print a report for you.
I was also told that I could not and must not ever try to change any of the therapeutic settings by myself. And then the RE reassured me that I didn't need to worry about changing the settings by mistake because there was a "hidden" menu that the RT could not legally show me.

I let all this crap slide because I already knew (and had) the ResScan software installed and knew where to get a clinical manual in case I needed to get into the clinical menu.

Unlike the PAPers on this board, most of the PAPers I know in person remain wildly ignorant of their therapy. None know their treated AHI; some because they have bricks and some because they don't care. Many have no idea what their pressure setting is. None have any idea of how to check whether their machine is actually set to the prescribed setting.

And not all of them are doing well on PAP: Some are, and some aren't. But the ones who aren't doing so well have no idea that efficacy data might help them figure out what's wrong. They know "leaks are bad", but they know of no way to determine whether they have problems with leaks, so they assume they are not leaking. They know the machine is supposed to prevent the apneas, but they don't know whether their machine is actually doing it or not. Nor do they even know some machines do record data that would tell them (and their doc) this useful piece of information. And when I try to help them? They say they'd rather just leave it up to the doctor (or DME), who never actually provides much help ...

In other words, there is currently a serious lack of communication between the average PAPer and his/her medical team concerning the therapeutic settings of the machine and the ways in which the efficacy of the therapy can be determined by PAP machines that record full efficacy data. I personally think that this is the root cause of many, but not all, of the well known long term compliance/adherence problems with PAP therapy.

In my humble opinion, asking a person to go on CPAP without telling them what the pressure setting is set to is the equivalent of asking a diabetic to start taking a drug without telling them the name of the drug nor the dose of the drug. But most new CPAPers are not told what the script actually says.

In my humble opinion, asking a person to use a brick of a CPAP without telling them it's a brick is like telling a new diabetic that as long as they take their medicine, that it's ok to never do the daily blood testing of the glucose levels. And to just assume that every thing is working.

In other words, what I see right now is a pervasive lack of effort by most sleep docs and DMEs to genuinely educate and bring their new PAPer patients into becoming full partners in discussions and about their therapy. And I fear that wireless transmission of data and machine settings will do nothing to change that situation and it has the potential to make the communication gap between OSA patients on CPAP and their medical team even larger.
Post Reply Post Reply
Ahh I see your point. I agree. Most ppl are kept in the dark and are not educated. Hopefully sites like this will educate them. Il post more but bedtime
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi,
Has anyone figured out how to register a Resmed s9 wireless modem on an AT&T microcell? I only have cell coverage at my house through a microcell, but it requires knowing the phone number of the device trying to transmit through the microcell. My google-fu has failed me on figuring out if the resmed modem has a phone # associated with it.
Thanks,
Post Reply Post Reply
As I run an online business I am presently sitting at a table in my dining room with 3 Macs and 1 Samsung Windows laptop and each one has a slot in which to insert a SD Card.

Perhaps desktops for PCs don't?
I havent used one of those in years but even the iMac does.....if i remember correctly?

so to the original poster IF you are using a laptop you may have a card slot on it
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-11-2014, 11:40 AM)robysue Wrote:
dduttonnc]Done right, you are never kept in the dark.

I know I don't have to be in the dark.

But----the average CPAPer is indeed in the dark. Most new PAPers are given little or no information about there script. The people on this board a small and unrepresentative group of very well informed PAPers, and most of did not get that way by talking with our sleep docs and DMEs. Rather, many of us are self-educated about both our condition and our machines.

When I was first given my machine, I had to ask---repeatedly---for a written copy of my script. The doctor did not want to give it to me; he simply wanted to fax it over to the DME. Eventually I gave up asking the doc and got a copy of the script from my more enlightened DME. Additional changes to my script during my first year of PAPing were made by one of the doc's PAs, and she had no trouble giving me the script in writing everytime she made a change.

Yes, I know the law: I was entitled to get a written script from the doc. But the fact remains, he simply wouldn't give it to me. And at the time I was too overwhelmed by the OSA diagnosis and the unwelcome need to start a therapy that I was dreading to drag out my innate stubbornness and tell him: I'm legally entitled to the script and if you won't give me a copy, I'll leave and not return ....

When I did pick up my machine from the DME, I was able get a written copy of the script from them. The RT who set up my machine even taught me how to access the long version of the sleep quality report on the S9 AutoSet's LCD. But when I ask about software, I was told some version of:
  • There is no software for patients. And you don't need it because you wouldn't understand the data anyway. Besides it's illegal for anybody to sell or give the software to you. Feel free to drop by any time and we'll download your data and print a report for you.
I was also told that I could not and must not ever try to change any of the therapeutic settings by myself. And then the RE reassured me that I didn't need to worry about changing the settings by mistake because there was a hidden" menu that the RT could not legally show me.

I let all this crap slide because I already knew (and had) the ResScan software installed and knew where to get a clinical manual in case I needed to get into the clinical menu.

Unlike the PAPers on this board, most of the PAPers I know in person remain wildly ignorant of their therapy. None know their treated AHI; some because they have bricks and some because they don't care. Many have no idea what their pressure setting is. None have any idea of how to check whether their machine is actually set to the prescribed setting.

And not all of them are doing well on PAP: Some are, and some aren't. But the ones who aren't doing so well have no idea that efficacy data might help them figure out what's wrong. They know "leaks are bad", but they know of no way to determine whether they have problems with leaks, so they assume they are not leaking. They know the machine is supposed to prevent the apneas, but they don't know whether their machine is actually doing it or not. Nor do they even know some machines do record data that would tell them (and their doc) this useful piece of information. And when I try to help them? They say they'd rather just leave it up to the doctor (or DME), who never actually provides much help ...

In other words, there is currently a serious lack of communication between the [i Wrote:average PAPer[/i] and his/her medical team concerning the therapeutic settings of the machine and the ways in which the efficacy of the therapy can be determined by PAP machines that record full efficacy data. I personally think that this is the root cause of many, but not all, of the well known long term compliance/adherence problems with PAP therapy.

In my humble opinion, asking a person to go on CPAP without telling them what the pressure setting is set to is the equivalent of asking a diabetic to start taking a drug without telling them the name of the drug nor the dose of the drug. But most new CPAPers are not told what the script actually says.

In my humble opinion, asking a person to use a brick of a CPAP without telling them it's a brick is like telling a new diabetic that as long as they take their medicine, that it's ok to never do the daily blood testing of the glucose levels. And to just assume that every thing is working.

In other words, what I see right now is a pervasive lack of effort by most sleep docs and DMEs to genuinely educate and bring their new PAPer patients into becoming full partners in discussions and about their therapy. And I fear that wireless transmission of data and machine settings will do nothing to change that situation and it has the potential to make the communication gap between OSA patients on CPAP and their medical team even larger.

In case you have not been told this before, you have FOUND YOUR PASSION.

put it to use........not only in being helpful but there is a future career here for you.......its all in how you choose to put it to use....

hmm....the formatting on that quote looks terrible but a quick look at html and i can't see why its done that
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Semi-permanently disabling modem in ResMed Airsense 10 Sleep87 109 67,644 03-19-2024, 11:27 PM
Last Post: ivanvargas1
  [Equipment] Replacement Cellular Modem DMAllen 18 5,800 02-25-2024, 05:36 AM
Last Post: Neo2020
  Does my ResMed AirCurve 10 VAuto have a modem? Morseman 4 265 02-05-2024, 05:32 PM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  [Equipment] ResMed AirSense 11 modem/provider mystery richapple 4 567 12-22-2023, 09:33 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  de-activate modem dreamstation2 advanced The Rog 0 358 10-18-2023, 12:45 AM
Last Post: The Rog
  Oscar wireless to my pc? Or iPhone app? Dolla Bill 3 663 08-26-2023, 07:04 PM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  Airsense 10 with modem safe from suppliers? HappySailor 3 767 07-02-2023, 12:54 AM
Last Post: HappySailor

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.