Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

ResMed VPAP S8 Auto 25- Auto adjustments
ResMed VPAP S8 Auto 25- Auto adjustments
Would someone please tell school me on how the subject machine knows when to make pressure adjustments when running in auto mode. Does it wait for an event and then adjust or does it look for some sort of precursor and start adjusting before an event materializes?

Thanks

Thanks again,

PaytonA

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: ResMed VPAP S8 Auto 25- Auto adjustments
The autoset does not deal with an apnea that already detected but rather pre-empt an apnea by pressure increase in response to snoring and flow limitation which are precursor to obstructive events (not centrals). For that reason not a good idea to set the minimum pressure much lower than treatment pressure as CPAP not like some sport car can ramp from being stationary to 100 KM per hour in seconds

Post Reply Post Reply
This is the dream machine that I use. But I do not really know how the magic works. I used to use it in 'spontaneous' mode. But found that switching to Auto mode with the minimums close to my old settings does best for me. Some days nothing is changed, and some days pressure is raised by 0.4 to 1.6 or so.

My total AHI is better in AUTO mode. So I plan to leave mine there as it seems to be an improvement. Of course, switching to a S9 would be an improvement as well I imagine.
*I* am not a DOCTOR or any type of Health Care Professional.  My thoughts/suggestions/ideas are strictly only my opinions.

"Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you. Jesus Christ and the American Soldier. One died for your Soul, the other for your Freedom."
Post Reply Post Reply
Can anyone provide me instructions on how to change the settings on the ResMed VPAP S8 Auto 25. The machine was set yesterday to settings 18/6 on my husband's machine. He cannot tolerate the increased pressure from 13/9. I have called his doctor and left 2 messages, but no response.

The manual is not listed so I have sent an email requesting a manual.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi cleifest, WELCOME! to the forum.!
Hang in there for answers to your question and best of luck to you.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
WARNING - "They" do not think a person should know this info, use at your own risk.Please take your time and be careful which settings you change.

You should write down the name of each setting, and what it is set too, just to be safe.

I have the "Resmed VPAP AUTO 25" (it does not say S8 anywhere on the machine)... if this is not yours, ignore my instructions...

With the blower turned off
Touch the 'down' arrow to light the screen
Press and HOLD *both* the 'down' and 'right' arrow keys until the screen changes to "Welcome to the Clinician's Menu - blurb'
Now you're in - just follow the menu and go slow...
*I* am not a DOCTOR or any type of Health Care Professional.  My thoughts/suggestions/ideas are strictly only my opinions.

"Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you. Jesus Christ and the American Soldier. One died for your Soul, the other for your Freedom."
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-16-2014, 07:40 PM)cleifest Wrote: Can anyone provide me instructions on how to change the settings on the ResMed VPAP S8 Auto 25. The machine was set yesterday to settings 18/6 on my husband's machine. He cannot tolerate the increased pressure from 13/9. I have called his doctor and left 2 messages, but no response.

The manual is not listed so I have sent an email requesting a manual.
Hi cleifest, welcome aboard
Section three .... ResMed Manuals
ResMed VPAP Auto 25 & VPAP ST & VPAP S (combined manual, not the S9 series)
Note: the ResMed "VPAP Auto 25" is also known as the "S8 Auto 25" outside the U.S.
http://www.apneaboard.com/adjust-cpap-pr...tup-manual

Post Reply Post Reply
(01-16-2014, 04:58 PM)zonk Wrote: For that reason not a good idea to set the minimum pressure much lower than treatment pressure as CPAP not like some sport car can ramp from being stationary to 100 KM per hour in seconds

Zonk,

I have been trying to wrap my head around this but maybe I am missing a piece of information. The machine can raise the pressure at least 4 cm H2O in hundredths of a second. Does the auto mode not adjust that fast due to programming?

Many thanks for the information that you have provided.

PaytonA

Admin Note:

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
I don't know details, but it adjusts by trial and error. Tiny baby steps til it figures it out - this takes a 'bit' of time - who knows how long? meanwhile very night you are not sleeping well til it gets close.

What if your *best* starting pressure is 14? 4 to 14 has gotta take longer than 'say', 10 to 14. Make sense?

Post Reply Post Reply
(01-17-2014, 08:33 PM)Peter_C Wrote: Tiny baby steps til it figures it out - this takes a 'bit' of time - who knows how long? meanwhile very night you are not sleeping well til it gets close.

Peter_C,

Are you indicating that it may take a number of nights to pick an optimum pressure and then it only changes from night to night. Maybe that is why the machine only reports one pressure in the LED display daily data under efficacy. I had assumed that the auto machine would change pressures throughout the night as the patient needs so that when one was doing well the pressure would be reduced and vice versa.

Best Regards,

PaytonA

Admin Note:

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  New Here, Been using OSCAR, Need Advice Regarding Adjustments FrankReality 26 848 03-26-2024, 01:49 PM
Last Post: FrankReality
  [Pressure] Advice on pressure adjustments akarifur 43 1,775 03-25-2024, 08:58 PM
Last Post: Uzupan
  Aircurve 10 ST-A and Lumis 150 VPAP ST-A just a UK branding difference? SingleH 37 2,231 03-18-2024, 07:51 AM
Last Post: SingleH
  Any experiences with BMC M1 Mini travel Auto CP?AP DrJelly 4 669 03-15-2024, 01:18 PM
Last Post: DrJelly
  First week with CPAP Oscar - Adjustments phillyfan24 5 482 03-09-2024, 10:27 PM
Last Post: phillyfan24
  [CPAP] ResMed Air Sense 10 Auto Off Problem Buddie43 19 26,322 03-05-2024, 10:50 PM
Last Post: Ailyhsaun
  Airsense 11 Auto and insurance compliance and data reporting to sleep doctor sausagesrolex 1 242 03-01-2024, 11:59 PM
Last Post: an4g745

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.