Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

ResMed VS Phillips
ResMed VS Phillips
As every time I make a comparison of the ResMed BiPAP/ASV machines VS the Phillips machines BiPAP/AutoSV machines I am told "To STAY on Subject", and if I want to talk about this I should start my own thread on ResMed VS Phillips...so here it is.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: ResMed VS Phillips
OK first thing right off the bat, ResMed is just as uncaring as is Phillips.

I contacted them about their S10 Memory Foam Masks and about the foam sound control connecter to these masks and how the foam will plug up in a short time causing mask seal failure and as will Phillips, was more or less "Go way your bothering us," and "we don't care..."

I will pull a copy of my report on this problem and post it here soon.
Post Reply Post Reply
And here is an odd disconcerting fact:

We are all going bonkers over foam in the Phillips machine.

RESMED has foam in their machines as well.

It is hidden inside the fam housing.

Rich

I was testing my ResMed Air Curve 10 model S BiPAP machine last night and I think I figured out in short time I needed to know how to change some of the settings, so I ordered a ResMed AirCurve 10 S Clinician manual as they contain the special hidden settings.

The reason is I figured out the rise time from my base pressure of 9 or 10 for exhaling to my control pressures of 16/17 on my inhaling was too slow and thus was not there to control my Centrals and hypopnea.

This was happening as I was taking my normal and most common short shallow breaths the machine was not even reaching my needed full pressure which may be why BiPAP is less able to control my Apneas as well as my Dreamstation ASV, which hits me with my full pressure within a second.

As the ResMed system is set it takes longer to rise to it full pressure setting which in my case seems too slow, thus it fails to control my apneas.

This slow rise time seems to be one of the loved features of the ResMed machines over the Phillips systems. But it does seem to have a problem with the BiPAP and ASV systems, at least for me, due to not getting where I need it to.

Once I get the info on the settings I will try again. I will report back on this ASAP.

And this is so complex I started my own face book page here:

https://www.facebook.com/Coyle-Medical-s...3598461353
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-28-2021, 12:17 PM)racprops Wrote: We are all going bonkers over foam in the Phillips machine.

RESMED has foam in their machines as well.

It is hidden inside the fam housing.

Rich

ResMed states the foam in the AirSense machines is different than the foam in Phillips machines.
Post Reply Post Reply
If the Phillips is better for you please use it. For me it is a much worse therapy. I owned a dreamstation for 5+ years and NEVER could get my events lower than 20 per night. I worked with the best people here nothing changed.

I got a ResMed and I just looked that for the last 3 months the most events were 4 a night with 38 days with 0.

Again if your machine works for you GREAT but for me it was 5+ years of sleep labs, Dr appointment, hundreds of dollars and total tiredness, searching for an answer. I got it with ResMed.
Apnea (80-100%) 10 seconds, Hypopnea (50-80%) 10 seconds, Flow Limits (0-50%) not timed  Cervical Collar - Dealing w DME - Chart Organizing
Post Reply Post Reply
Racprops would rip out the airbags in his Honda, because of a Toyota recall.

He would then use that as a platform to create a Toyota vs Honda topic.
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-28-2021, 11:46 AM)racprops Wrote: OK first thing right off the bat, ResMed is just as uncaring as is Phillips.

Can't argue with that -- see my thread Why I hate MyAir with the heat of 1000 suns

Sleep medicine as practiced smells strongly of scam. With the way that they act, they seem to believe that sleep apnea is all pretend, and their machines don't do anyone any good. Which is why they can shrug when they say "oh you should stop using our brand machine." Because they think it's like "oh you should stop wearing our brand of socks." As if it's trivial whether you use it or not.
Post Reply Post Reply
OK I was looking for a more insightful discussion over the merits of ResMed VS Dreamstation.

"Racprops would rip out the airbags in his Honda, because of a Toyota recall." Guess you did not hear of the MAJOR recall for almost every make of car with decades of bad airbags...

"ResMed states the foam in the AirSense machines is different than the foam in Phillips machines." Yes I read it all over the place...BET you a Million Bucks IF you asked Phillips a year ago they would say the same thing, "Yes the foam is safe...."

I do not want to find out 8 years in the future...."Opps, we are so sorry seems we were NOT correct about OUR foam after all...'ResMed.

I have every plan on switching over to ResMed....for three reasons, One bigger water tank, Phillips never got the memo we need bigger water tanks, if you using any water in a Phillips machine you need to refill it in 4 hours.

Removing and if you want, replacing their foam ring/filter does not require surgery to get it out, and there is no way to put a Phillips foam back, with the ResMed all you need is a screwdriver.

Last they are NOT Phillips. THEY ARE NOT PHILLIPS!!

But I am having some teething problems with the ResMed.

I tried a ResMed ASV and I had MORE AHIs with it.

And there were a few other things that I was used to and understood with the Phillips which I am looking to see if I can get to know and get to operate best for me, currently, I have a great ResMed Air Curve 10 BiPAP.

I am looking into seeing what I can adjust to get to know it.

I  hope to get a ResMed Air Curve 10 ASV sometime this month.

One other problem is we all need to fight "For the RIGHT TO REPAIR" everything...ResMed like Phillips does NOT want to supply any parts and charge high prices for them.

I for one do not like the way both companies are moving toward total control of these machines and pushing to get us to buy new ones every 5 years.

Pushing to stop all reselling of used machines.

Cutting out our being able to get readouts of our treatment and trying to prevent us from adjusting our own machines.

This would not be as bad IF I could find a REAL GOOD Sleep Doctor...my current one can not even read an SD Card in the office and does not even care what my system is doing, IF I am under 5AHIs I am cured.

Even when I am dead tired almost every day.  Check out my Thread: Doing everything right and still dead tired?? http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...light=Rich

My Doctor even claimed there was no way to test for Sleep Cycles when the very equipment they use during a sleep test shows when you enter Rem Sleep!!!  What's up with that...

So I am looking into how I can get say 10 to 30 years use out my current machines....

AND HOW I can keep my personal control of my machines and how they treat me as so far I have HAD to do myself.

Rich
Post Reply Post Reply
I have no experience with Phillips machines. Mine is a ResMed. From what I have heard and learned on this forum, ResMed is the one to stick with. 

That's good enough for me............. Cool
Post Reply Post Reply
And part of this mission has been solved, I found a good Utube viedio that exsplains the settings on/in a Air Curve 10 BiPAP machine.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ts9lNJ2g1IE

So we will see how things go tonight.

Rich
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Phillips Dreamstation 2 High Disconnects mrsleepyhead2001 2 200 03-22-2024, 04:20 PM
Last Post: mrsleepyhead2001
  [Equipment] Phillips DreamStation Replacement & Medicare oneeyeopen 3 269 02-29-2024, 01:29 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
Question Just given a Phillips Dreamstation 2 the same day Phillips agrees to stop selling Montacute 39 1,602 02-09-2024, 11:54 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
Angry [Equipment] MORE PHILLIPS ISSUES srlevine1 3 777 02-01-2024, 12:28 AM
Last Post: srlevine1
  Phillips update. Big Guy 0 292 01-29-2024, 08:22 PM
Last Post: Big Guy
  Phillips Recall Question... jonesresidence 9 645 01-08-2024, 05:22 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Just received Phillips refurb ASV machine - options? Labromaniac 3 569 11-20-2023, 02:29 PM
Last Post: UnicornRider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.