Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

ResMed VS Phillips
RE: ResMed VS Phillips
Found another older thread on Dreamstation 2 VS Resmed...

http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...light=Rich

Rich

PS this kind of seems like Ford VS Chevy...
Post Reply Post Reply
I have used a cpap 14 years starting with a Resperdonix plane M seriese cpap and then about 5 years ago 
switched to  a cursed Dreamstation auto.  I find my experience is a lot like   Stacyburke  just posted  in that
when using the Resperdonix I just couldn't get my AhI  very low with a long term AHI of about 6. But the
last 6 months  using the Dreamstation auto  set to 15 - 20   I have been having a 95 % pressure of 18 to 20 
and an average AHI of 8.9 . When  hearing about this Resperdonix recall I  started using an old Resmed S8 
Vantage Auto . It reported I could get an AHI of 5  with a 95% presure of only 13 .   To sort of  double check
this I also tried using a S9  set to a fixed presure of 15 and let me have an AHI of 4.8 .     

Two weeks ago  I got a new  ResMed Aircurve Vauto  set as a bipap with an inhale of 24 and exhale of 13 . My
first 2 nights  were bad with an AHI of 9 and 12 !    But after talking the DR. basicly saying I was trying to be a
complient patient  and not changing the presure myself so how about lowering this pressure.  He lowered it to 17 
inhale and 13 inhale. Now I am getting an AHI of 4 or less. So it seems besides the recall just ditching that 
Dreamstation may have been a good idea.
Post Reply Post Reply
FWIW I have yet to hear any news or other reports about ResMed and a foam gate recall. I have heard that from Philips Respironics. I'm not at all convinced the ResMed foam is worth tearing out like it is with the Respironics.

A recall on one brand CPAP or car doesn't mean that this recall tells you all other brands are bad too.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
What they say Oil's -Ain't - Oil's just as Foam's Ain't - Foam's
Post Reply Post Reply
The good news is removing ResMeds Foam is not a one-way street, it only takes a screwdriver to open the fan's housing and pluck it out and it can be replaced just as easily.

Resmed like Phillips is pushing the 5-year life of these machines. So I kind of figure they are sure their foam will not go bad in that time..giving them 100% benefit of any dought...BUT I am looking at keeping my machines at least 10 years and if I can even longer.

At the point pass their 5 years I feel I should not trust the foam.

So once I can get a ResMed ASV, I will refine the settings until I am receiving good night's sleep.

Then I test it for a month and then remove the foam and test another month without it and compare.

If there is no change in treatment I will then leave it out.

I really want to like the ResMed machine as I really do not care for Phillips.

BUT I trusted Phillips for 8 years, and even if I do not get sick they as far as I am concerned put my life at risk needlessly just for a little less noise by using a cheap foam.

I can barely trust ResMed....so out goes any and all foam.

The current problem is learning all I can about these ResMed systems.

I made good progress today and will test it tonight.

Rich
Post Reply Post Reply
Well, this has not gone well.

My latest report on my Nearly new ResMed Air Curve 10 Model S BiPAP with only 20 Hours on the fan.

The first thing is I really dislike how long it takes the system to wind up to speed, it is like four to 6 breathes before it is up to operating speed/pressure.

Then no matter what setting I use I cannot seem to get it to get up to my high pressure fast, and I followed the directions, I turned off Easy Breath, which allows me to adjust The Rise Time I tried 900MS and then 300MS still was slow…I adjusted the trigger again trying to get the reaction time faster, and still could not get to respond fast. It was faster but not fast enough.

I left Cycle on its defaults as they make total sense.

Two GLARING problems presented themselves: First no matter what setting I used I could not get to stop thumping my face at the end of each rising pressure cycle, right at the end of a breath cycle blam a thump... lowing the Trigger setting helped but by then my nose was getting sore.

The next was a bit disturbing, I found myself not breathing. I kept finding I had to think of taking a breath..I just seem to forget to breathe…and I was wide awake.

This kept happening as I tried to relax, I was waiting for something…

I was waiting for the machine to read a very faint and small impulse to draw a breath.

I switch right away back to my Dreamstation and everything is AOK.

Power on and I have full pressure with my first breath, both my base pressure of 10 and my high of 16, now NOT 3 to 6 breaths down the road.

And there is no thumping end of each breath.

And now I am breathing normally, the Dreamstation seems to anticipate when I want to inhale, and is there in a split second with air.

NOTE my backup rate is 20 and it is not engaged, I can hold my breath and the system does not push for a few seconds.

Also, this is an impression, but it seemed the ResMed has more airflow, a little too much, or rather more than the Dreamstation, on it I would have to set the mask setting to X2 to get such volume. This setting on a Dreamstation allows some adjustment to the airflow/volume.

As far as I can find there is no adjustment for this on the ResMed.

So now the $64,000 question is will I run into these same problems with a ResMed ASV.

I know from my test run a couple of nights with a ResMed Air Curve 10ASV, that it had some of these problems but not as bad as this BiPAP.

Also, the foam is still inside.

I cannot sleep with this machine even a 1/2 hour was too much.

So I am looking for some real ResMed guys to see if we can make this machine work right, or is this Normal for them??

Rich
Post Reply Post Reply
Create a therapy thread with OSCAR reports. I can say a ResMed S isn't ASV. So there's already a glaring incorrect treatment in place with this. S and ASV aren't interchangable whatsoever.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks, but there are a few problems.

First, there are way too many problems here. As it is I cannot sleep with this machine.

I have been able to sleep with a Phillips Dreamstation BiPAP, it may not have my back as well as an ASV but I did not have anywhere near the problems I just ran into. In fact in the couple of night’s sleep on the Dreamstation BiPAP there were NO alarms, just higher AHIs.

Nothing as out there as this machine.

I am stunned, this is like going to a Doctor and having him act like a bully, hitting and slapping you around.

Thus far I spent 3 Years on System One ASVs, nearly 2 years on a Dreamstation APAP and the next last nearly 2.2 years back on a System One ASVs and the last 8 months on a Dreamstation ASV.

I also have bought a used Dreamstation BiPAP, and have sleep on it and found it did not take care of my Apneas as well as my ASV, BUT nothing as racial and off-putting as this ResMed BiPAP.

I also have used a Resmed Air Curve ASV for about three to four nights, full nights , that did not have anything as off-putting as this ResMed BiPAP.

So as for so many people saying the AHIs are lower on a ResMed machine….Has anyone considered that the two systems may have different sensitivity when it comes to how well they report apneas??

I do a lot of machining and over the decades I learned that accurate calibers are a major problem, when you're ordering a product at say 1.236 size you really need an accurate tool to both read that as a need and then for the shop to make a part to the same size. IF either of you do not have accurate calibers, and that both of your tools do not read the same 1.000 100% the same you will never get a part that fits.

You can cause a change of sat .0000 to .0025 just by just tighten on the caliber a little harder, so how hard is the correct amount of pressure??

Last night I saw a machine that was NO way as sensitive to my breathing needs as another machine is, it missed by a country mile.

So I now question if ResMed reads and reports the same amount of sleep apneas as Phillips?? In the same way?

For example in a case of a mile per gallon is it the same mile and the same gallon?? In the UK there say MPG but the Imperial Gallon is larger than the US gallon, so a car in the UK that was reported to travel 1000 Miles on a tank of gas corrected to our US gallon would only be reported to have done 850 Miles per the same tank full of US gallons.

This is a real case.

So with the differences between ResMed and Phillips reports are they more or less a case of one under-reporting or the other overly sensitive reporting??

The numbers can be meaningless if they are not reporting the same Miles and the same Gallons….

As for my doing a therapy thread with OSCAR reports, I have already killed of a number of pictures just to clear up room to post pictures on the current problems on the recall.

There is just no room, and I hate to knock off more pictures from my space and thus rendered other posts dead…There is just too small a space for pictures to post newer picture some older ones have to go.

Rich
Post Reply Post Reply
OK a follow-up report

I tried once again to use the ResMed BiPAP on returning to bed.

The seemly only way to use this machine is with Easy Breath on.

But I find that with easy breath on it does not, even by its own display, does not reach my tested and proven to control my centrals and hypopneas pressure, it only reaches that pressure at the end of a long full breath and not every time if I take a short breath.

Turn off the Easy Breath is like taking off the muzzle of a bad dog.

This insane machine goes APE, HARSH bumping pressure on, and a pulse bump at the end of a breath.

The three settings turned on by turning off the Easy Breath setting do not allow any real smooth breathing. I tried all three one at a time, starting with its default setting of MEDIUM on each, even then it was harsh, and no changes to any of these three settings made any real softening of this face-pounding pressure pulses.

What a Dr. Jeckal and Mr. Hide machine.

And I did make a point of counting how many breaths it takes to get up and running and it is at least 4 of my breaths...

This I have seen with both of the ResMed machines....

I take it there is no adjusting that either??

SO do I have a faulty machine, a Frankenstein, or is the sadly normal??

I really want to like and use this machine....really am trying.

Rich
Post Reply Post Reply
What you aren't getting is a commitment to about 4 nights in ASV and expecting to get it adjusted is just not going to fly. Yes it's easy to self titrate. But really, 4 days and you quit ResMed's ASV. You didn't ask the members here for assistance that I recall. I've had that same ResMed AirCurve 10 ASV working for the 2 years that therapy was right for me. Until COPD increased.

FWIW the only area that this ASV can't handle it is probably one like mine with that combo of CA and COPD. There it seems to require manual timing controls this doesn't have.

Just don't be too surprised with the results of not using the ASV when that's what you should be using. You want help with the ResMed ASV? Get the machine and I'll help you set it up. Your therapy needs are unique enough to warrant ASV so quit trying to make anything less work. It just won't. This is a square peg being forced through the round knothole. Again I'll help with ASV but it's your choice.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Phillips Dreamstation 2 High Disconnects mrsleepyhead2001 2 200 03-22-2024, 04:20 PM
Last Post: mrsleepyhead2001
  [Equipment] Phillips DreamStation Replacement & Medicare oneeyeopen 3 269 02-29-2024, 01:29 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
Question Just given a Phillips Dreamstation 2 the same day Phillips agrees to stop selling Montacute 39 1,607 02-09-2024, 11:54 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
Angry [Equipment] MORE PHILLIPS ISSUES srlevine1 3 779 02-01-2024, 12:28 AM
Last Post: srlevine1
  Phillips update. Big Guy 0 292 01-29-2024, 08:22 PM
Last Post: Big Guy
  Phillips Recall Question... jonesresidence 9 645 01-08-2024, 05:22 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Just received Phillips refurb ASV machine - options? Labromaniac 3 570 11-20-2023, 02:29 PM
Last Post: UnicornRider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.