Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

ResMed VS Phillips
RE: ResMed VS Phillips
I can see that you: SarcasticDave94 have been a major informed help.

I dug up a lot of my old threads here and you have been a fairly good and insightful poster.

As for setting up the ResMed ASV, compared to the Phillips Dreamstation number of settings the ResMed is much simpler.

There are ONLY 6 Main settings IN the ResMed ASV Clinical manual...to 11+ settings on a Dreamstation ASV.

EPAP, Min EPAP, Max EPAP, Min PS, Max PS, and Set Pressure. Even the Mask setting are dirt simple, not pressure/flow settings JUST Types: Full, nasal and a under the nose.

Phillips has four mask settings that seem to control air FLow or volume. 0, 1,2,3,4.

And with a Dreamstation ASV you have control on a bunch of HOW it reacts as Ti and Backup rate, all missing with the ResMed.

On the Resmed I got on my first night an AHI of .48 out of 8.15.58 sleep. That was Unclassified of .24, Obstructive of 0.0, and Hypopanea of .24.

The following nights were about the same.

I get those AHIs all the time on my Phillips systems. The main changes are caused by my hay fever which can cause a bad night and I MIGHT hit a high around 5 AHIs....

I have been self-treating myself for 8 years.

There IS no settings in a ResMed ASV TO set....just your base low pressure and your high control pressure, dirt simple. PS is set BY those two settings.

NOW if you were up on Dreamstations there are a lot of interactive settings there and THEY can cause some off reactions with their systems.

Like on a Dreamstation ASV setting the Mask at 0 can cause all kinds of odd airflow behavior. Wild up and down reactions etc. Put it on X1 and you regain control. The higher settings seem to increase the amount of airflow/volume.

You have full control of your backup rate as well. Ti setting, Flex, Flex setting, And Rise Time.

"FWIW the only area that this ASV can't handle it is probably one like mine with that combo of CA and COPD. There it seems to require manual timing controls this doesn't have."

Perhaps you should look into getting a Dreamstation (with the foam removed) for your needs??

Rich
Post Reply Post Reply
SarcasticDave94 : I also wanted to point out only my first Sleep DR. called for a ASV, and as he was offering to help connect me up with a good deal...!!??? I was a touch concerned..and he was a control freak A** h**e

3 years later when I asked my Medicare Dr. for a replacement machine I was forced to take three sleep studies which claimed I ONLY needed a CPAP/APAP. I was then given a APAP Dreamstation. I hated it.

And a couple of years later when I checked out the Insight Device and was disqualified due to too many Centrals again the DR. Noted CPAP/APAP was fine. This was at the MAYO Clinic in Scottdale AZ Hosipitble.

SO have felt there might be some question as to my really needing an ASV machine.

In fact, I have started a couple of threads on this very subject in which you yourself had posted in.

And the main reason I want an ASV is it allows me to reach DEEP and REM sleep cycles which my APAP machine did not.

I monitor my sleep cycles nightly as I do my sleep apneas.

And as I have found ASV machines can be cranky, it seems to be the nature of them, I wondered if I can get the results I need with a slightly less fussy system such as a good BiPAP.

The problem is I cannot find a GOOD sleep Doctor, or tech who can help me and explain what I need either to the settings and to which type of machine I need.

I am fairly sure and fear I am being told CPAP/APAP more because of Medicare than my real needs.

Thus these exspearments.

As it has been from the Beginning 8 years ago, I am on my own, and this and the other site have been a major help.

For all of that, I thank everyone who has offered help and advice. I do comb through and test this advice to find what works.

Thus I will question and disregard advice that I feel is incorrect.

After all, advice is worth what you pay for it.

I try to pay back with my findings, I try to share my insights and what I have learned.

Rich
Post Reply Post Reply
OK, yep the ResMed doesn't directly or via user manual settings control: Ti Min/Max, Cycle, Trigger, or Respiratory Rate. What you have available is Mode, EPAP Min (Max also if Mode is ASV Auto and only then), PS Min/Max. Algorithm configures the IPAP Min/Max with those parameters set in EPAP and PS, it takes EPAP at the moment and adds to it PS at the moment to get IPAP.

You set base pressure as EPAP Min. in ASV Auto or just labeled EPAP in ASV mode. IPAP can indirectly be set by manipulating the EPAP and PS. It's indirect as we're not editing IPAP directly itself but by edits to EPAP and/or PS.

You use the ASV and I'm sure with your feedback to me and OSCAR charts, we can dial this in to treat, and within reason and within the setting limits, we can get this to do what you want.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
From my experiences so far and my finding how ResMed is so limiting on control and settings, I am really wondering why SO many people here love them.

We are all so mad at Phillips for betraying our trust yet is seems with ResMed you have to trust their systems MUCH deeply than we on Phillips have to..and with Phillips, we can more fine-tune our systems.

So as for so many people saying the AHIs are lower on a ResMed machine….Has anyone considered that the two systems may have different sensitivity when it comes to how well they report apneas??

I do a lot of machining and over the decades I learned that accurate calibers are a major problem, when you're ordering a product at say 1.236 size you really need an accurate tool to both read that as a need and then for the shop to make a part to the same size. IF either of you do not have accurate calibers, and that both of your tools do not read the same 1.000 100% the same you will never get a part that fits.

You can cause a change of sat .0000 to .0025 just by just tighten on the caliber a little harder, so how hard is the correct amount of pressure??

Last night I saw a machine that was NO way as sensitive to my breathing needs as another machine is, it missed by a country mile.

So I now question if ResMed reads and reports the same amount of sleep apneas as Phillips?? In the same way?

For example in a case of a mile per gallon is it the same mile and the same gallon?? In the UK there say MPG but the Imperial Gallon is larger than the US gallon, so a car in the UK that was reported to travel 1000 Miles on a tank of gas corrected to our US gallon would only be reported to have done 850 Miles per the same tank full of US gallons.

This is a real case.

So with the differences between ResMed and Phillips reports are they more or less a case of one under-reporting or the other overly sensitive reporting??

The numbers can be meaningless as compared if they are not reporting the same Miles and the same Gallons….

Has anyone ever tested both machines side by side with real medical systems to see??

I am aware most sleep studies use one or the other machine in testing...so that seems not a good way to compare.
Post Reply Post Reply
I haven't tested these 2 brands in a lab. I did use the Respironics DreamStation BiPAP Auto but beyond that it wasn't treating my Centrals, as it cannot because it's not SV Auto, but I didn't like the way the therapy felt.

I was moved onto the ResMed ASV and it did treat CA, and I liked how it felt as a therapy. Unfair comparison by me as it's not apple to apple, but even so, I'd choose ResMed over Respironics even before the Philip's Respironics foam recall. And that choice is despite having less controls for therapy on their ASV, I'd still choose ResMed.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
So it seems I am the only person to try to do a side-by-side comparison....

Here is my latest: Comparing the settings in their ASVs.

Phillips 11

ResMed 3

[attachment=34302]
Post Reply Post Reply
Personally when it comes to taking care of my life during my sleeping, I kind of feel safer with a machine that seems more serious about doing the job and has 11 controls and settings VS only three settings and TRUST in the program.

Trust the program is OK UNLESS....

Darn it, I really hoped I could kick Phillips to the curb...I really did.

BUT now from my experience with three ResMed Machines, an APAP, an BiPAP, and an ASV, I am having serious second thoughts.

Rich
Post Reply Post Reply
Yes I can give you examples of my dreamstation and resmed.  First is dreamstation - last 2 are the last 2 nights.  I have had my resmed for over a year and it is by far better for me...  as I said before if a dreamstation works for you GREAT use it.

Take a look at the pressure graphs - which one do you think allows me to sleep better?

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Apnea (80-100%) 10 seconds, Hypopnea (50-80%) 10 seconds, Flow Limits (0-50%) not timed  Cervical Collar - Dealing w DME - Chart Organizing
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks.

I really wish there was more Picture storage space here.  "Sorry, but you cannot attach this file because you have reached your attachment quota of 15 MB"

I can get 0.0 days BUT I found pushing that much pressure seemed to inflame my GURD..so I backed off and allow mostly under 2 to 3 AHIs.

My nights on a ResMed ASV were more or less normal.

Rich
Post Reply Post Reply
There is always imgur...
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Phillips Dreamstation 2 High Disconnects mrsleepyhead2001 2 202 03-22-2024, 04:20 PM
Last Post: mrsleepyhead2001
  [Equipment] Phillips DreamStation Replacement & Medicare oneeyeopen 3 270 02-29-2024, 01:29 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
Question Just given a Phillips Dreamstation 2 the same day Phillips agrees to stop selling Montacute 39 1,618 02-09-2024, 11:54 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
Angry [Equipment] MORE PHILLIPS ISSUES srlevine1 3 782 02-01-2024, 12:28 AM
Last Post: srlevine1
  Phillips update. Big Guy 0 292 01-29-2024, 08:22 PM
Last Post: Big Guy
  Phillips Recall Question... jonesresidence 9 646 01-08-2024, 05:22 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Just received Phillips refurb ASV machine - options? Labromaniac 3 570 11-20-2023, 02:29 PM
Last Post: UnicornRider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.