Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

ResMed VS Phillips
RE: ResMed VS Phillips
I keep coming back to the two ResMed machines I have used lately.

The ASV with almost no controls, and the BiPAP Jeckel/Hide's behavior.

Both machines seem to demand being run 100% on automatic.

The ASV gives you NO way to tune its settings and the BiPAP need a super tuner to even get it near anything I can even consider trying to sleep with it.

In my 8 years of adjusting my Phillips machines two System Ones ASV, and a Dreamstation an APAP, BiPAP, and ASV, I have never got a setting so messed up I could not sleep with it.

I never did a setting that was so outrageously bad in all that time, Phillips seems to not allow it. I never had a system hit me.

Such outrageously bad behaviour really makes me really not trust ResMed, if they can make a system that is so out of control when manual controls are used...words fail me.

So far no one has presented any data other than my reports are better on ResMems...BUT no one can answer are ResMed's reports the same as Phillips?? Eye to eye, AHIs of the same ich by inch ounch to ounch THE SAME???

We only have their reports by the companies themselves.

Remember VW Gate?? They faked the tests.

Rich

(07-31-2021, 01:45 PM)Crimson Nape Wrote: There is always imgur...

What is imgur??
Post Reply Post Reply
Imgur is a free website and phone app where you can upload images. I use imgur to handle my non-Apnea images. Or you can access your user profile and delete old attachments, images and such.

I can help you set up the ResMed ASV, but I can't be bothered to debate on Philips Respironics SV Auto versus ResMed ASV. If you're determined Respironics is better, have at it. I will help as I said, in setup and adjustments in the ResMed AirCurve 10 ASV.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
"Imgur is a free website, where you can upload images"

First, can you then point to it here to share pictures??

Second I once used Photobucket, a once free photo uploading site, and then they wanted MONEY...

And how hard is adjusting the three settings that you're allowed to adjust on a ResMed ASV??

The Base pressure is increased until you stop snoring and having obstructions, then the higher pressure for inhaling is increased until your centrals and hypopaneas are either completely stopped or at nice low numbers.

What else is there to do??

Now a Phillips with its 11 controls can be a bit of fun fine-tuning...

Thanks but I have been doing that for 8 years.

Rich
Post Reply Post Reply
Using Imgur, it'll create a BBCode that you insert into your textbox where you type your post.

On my ResMed ASV, I didn't go the way ResMed ASV titration protocol states. I started on ASV Auto mode, EPAP 8-15 PS 3-15. IPAP is the sum of EPAP and PS.

I dropped my EPAP Max to 13 and more or less that's it. I did try PS Min of 4 but it felt different slightly more abrupt for me and I reverted back to 3. I've had excellent results until COPD, and bouts of pneumonia and bronchitis knocked the therapy off the tracks. Mainly COPD requires timing controls, so yes a lack in some manual control is a hindrance to some.

For you I'd consider trying the ResMed ASV titration protocol ASV Auto mode, EPAP Min whatever you want. This is your lowest air period. EPAP Max 15, PS 3-15. See how you feel and what OSCAR has. Don't be too concerned over flow limits.

ResMed Titration Protocol image.

[attachment=34314]
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks I have had that ResMed Titration Protocol for a number of years...

And the More in depth: Phillips Auto Servo Ventilation – Indications,
Basics of Algorithm, and Titration

And Phillips Titration protocol
reference guide

There are in PDF, I can share them if you email me.

They make the ResMed look like footnotes.

Rich
Post Reply Post Reply
That's OK I'm fine, they're not are all necessary for me. I'll never use Respironics again at home.

If you tried ResMed ASV and it didn't work as you wanted, there's nothing else to do with it. It'll just be a continually circling dead end. You're not going to gain controls that you currently wouldn't have on a ResMed ASV. Stay with Respironics SV Auto.
Post Reply Post Reply
Sadly I am coming to that decision as well.

Rich
Post Reply Post Reply
Rich,

I took the foam out of my dreamstation......noted on other thread.  It's working fine.  I will be able to have insurance pay for new machine
the end of October.  Right now I am debating if I should go to the Resmed aircurve 10 VAuto or keep my present Dreamstaion.  The inside looked
good when I did the foam removal and would probably last quite a while.

I have been sorting through the youtube videos and info posted.  I am not able to view the picture of the comparison of the two machines
as it is blurry and hard to read.

My question is:  Have you found any relationship of the pressure support between the Dreamstation and Resmed?   i.e. If my dreamstation
PS is X value, what would be a good setting on the Resmed to start and then do a titration and adjust over time as needed.

Thanks,
Roger
Post Reply Post Reply
The Auto Algorithms are different. The ResMed is more aggressive and based on Flow Limits and Obstructive events, PR is based on Snores with a high correlation to VS2 and Obstructive events. Typically PR devices require a higher min EPAP to achieve the same level of therapy so higher pressures overall.
Post Reply Post Reply
I have not found any way to control or change the workings of the two ResMed machines I have had in my hands.

The BiPAP Model S machine I have is a Dr. Jeckel/Mr. Hyde machine: it is Ok on its Easy Sleep automatic setting and a nightmare with it off and trying to change the system. IT DOES NOT like you to do that.

Because of how ResMed is a Love it or Hate it machine, your NOT allowed to tune it in any way.

Because of that, for me personally, I am planning on staying with on my Phillps defoamed Dreamstation ASV.

Rich
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Phillips Dreamstation 2 High Disconnects mrsleepyhead2001 2 196 03-22-2024, 04:20 PM
Last Post: mrsleepyhead2001
  [Equipment] Phillips DreamStation Replacement & Medicare oneeyeopen 3 269 02-29-2024, 01:29 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
Question Just given a Phillips Dreamstation 2 the same day Phillips agrees to stop selling Montacute 39 1,599 02-09-2024, 11:54 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
Angry [Equipment] MORE PHILLIPS ISSUES srlevine1 3 776 02-01-2024, 12:28 AM
Last Post: srlevine1
  Phillips update. Big Guy 0 292 01-29-2024, 08:22 PM
Last Post: Big Guy
  Phillips Recall Question... jonesresidence 9 644 01-08-2024, 05:22 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Just received Phillips refurb ASV machine - options? Labromaniac 3 569 11-20-2023, 02:29 PM
Last Post: UnicornRider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.